TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

Classic DAF 2800.

image.jpeg

thanks for the C&C DAF trusckerash - I think I have also been in that one. I think it belonged to a guy called Robert and it was actually his own. His dad also worked at C&C - called Lou. He swapped the DAF for 141 after… I think

lets try again with those photos

ok then… what am I doing wrong with the photos*

mods note: you had the “disable BBCode” box ticked …Denis F

coffers
i can only see the photos by copying and pasting your links, then going to the net to see them.
if you want to show then on here, i suggest you register with Photobucket.
ive sent you a PM.

i have a nighttime shot of the 141 you mention. It used to belong to Patrick International from Kettering. ill dig it out.

lets try again
This is very sad as I actually work in an IT department now :open_mouth:

This I am sure will work, :blush: maybe not the greatest quality sorry… still learning my new all singing all dancing scanner/printer/copier thing…

Chris

Chris

I was in Carisio a number of years ago with a couple od C&C driver’s,can’t remember their names,but one of them had a Steyr which he affectionately called ‘Ladatrotter’ :laughing:

Ash,any pics of Roba trucks? Used to see their Scania’s all the time up & down to Swiss.

And what about some pics of Fransen Transport?

I’m sure you must have some of those DAF 3300 top-sleeper’s they ran!

I have a publicity pic that Henk Buzink gave me some years ago with of one,when they first introduced them.
It was for carrying 33 euro’s,with the fridge motor slung under the trailer.

This has been one of the best topics i have seen for old companys and seeing the pictures bring back a lot of memories so heres a couple of mine .
To Italy for peaches in this often needed a tow up the mont cenis the poor old lass had,nt the power to get around the hairpins.

Then i got this a real flying machine in its day the 290 under 6 hours Penrith to Dover and that was through the center of london,
No m25 or Brakes (you could not stop them if you were duin 75mph) :confused:

Then in 1983 when i lost my licence for three month for doin 75 mph i went on this job

Driving to here to play in the sand, this is after a sand storm in Saudi

Heres the beef trucks clearing customs in Rungis

Few more 80S firms this was taken at Augris Renards at Berck sur Mer

Waiting for the fuel at Faluga

klunk Another satified customer then :slight_smile: Glad you like the topic :smiley:

Love your pics, thanks. Ive retored the original clarity to the F86 and 88 photos.
Made the world of difference…

dont know if this was your truck? Bit of a crap angle, sorry dont know the reg :frowning: Used to see um parked here regularly. M1 junction 16 Red Lion pub. Just down the road from my house.

btw: ive sent you a PM

A typical 80’s look :wink:

67119202_10217378214241452_35861074251087872_n.jpg

KW RIP.Gordon. Roba.That firm had more than their fair share of deaths.This was in France.

KW good to you arnt I? :slight_smile:
heres a couple of Roba’s. think i got an early 140 of theirs too. have to dig it out.

these two pics courtewsy of Steve Lynch

and some of Fransens.
This one must be the best looking fridge rig?

Ken Hoggers (senior) 141 sounded awesome. Straight through pipes :smiley: :sunglasses:
His son is still around today, pulling for Ocean Trailers.

and your roof top sleeper Keith :confused: :confused:

ash i used to see kenny hogger in dairy crest nuneaton as ocean trailers bought yogurts in there from france last i heard he had a silver fh globetrotter and while im on ash got any freightbus transconti pics
cheers :wink:

Truckerash thats brightened them up a bit and if its near a pub thats was one of the main qualifying points for gaetting a job with Aldersons.
David Alderson ussually drove that f10 a proper truck well before its time air sprung cab and aircon as standard

Thanks for those Ash.

I remember that Fransens had a superb 1/24 model of a top sleeper in their reception,made by Andrew Southall who worked there.
Probably a buddy of yours too.

Gerry Baldwin is one I know from General Express,he went back to work for them after he finished at Goodways.
Another was a sweaty sock we called Nessie,but I’m damned if I can remember his real name.

hi trucker ash youre collection of picture are brilliant brings back all the memories of the good old days the characters you used to meet the meals & the drinks in the old rouiters
the roba pictures the 142 scania used to be driven by a guy from coventry
aubrey was his name
i think it was in 1986 that truck was written off at reims outside the white house
but aubrey was not driving it at the time
the volvos when they first came home where only used on uk work and used to cause friction with the continental drivers who were still running to swiss
in old scania 111s and some scania 80s
just wondering if you hve any location freight photos
thanks fred kelly

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Then in 1983 when i lost my licence for three month for doin 75 mph i went on this job

Another blast from the past,I used to meet up with one or two of Daysons drivers in the Mocamp.DO WE KNOW EACH OTHER?

On one ocassion,when I was running the garage for Simon International in Stoke,I had to fly out to Istanbul to recover a Volvo F89,that some new driver we had started,blew all his running money ,then at the Mocamp decided it was a good idea to chuck a handfull of nuts and bolts into the inlet manifold then drive off down the road and see how far he could get.He got as far as the Bosphorous bridge before the engine complained.Then he had to be towed back to the Mocamp.He knew that our agent in Istanbul was Taji Kochman,a real gent,but not one to cross!Anyway,this geezer phoned Taji and said he had "broken down"and had no money.Taji came,paid the tow bill then took the paperwork for the truck and the load and the drivers passport,then told him he could have his papers and passport back when the bill was squared.We got a phone call here to say the driver had broken down,had no money and all his papers and passport had been taken!Now this driver had taken over two weeks to get to Istanbul,and had run out of money twice on the way!
Well we smelled a rat,so I was on the next flight to Istanbul,and a taxi to the Mocamp.I had taken my overalls with me and after borrowing a few tools from drivers I knew,I soon found out what had caused the problem,of course,this ■■■■ said he knew nothing about it!
In the restauraunt that evening,I was talking with a couple of Dayson’s drivers I knew,telling them what I was up to,and they said to me that if they told Alan Dayson this geezer was here,Alan would be on the next flight and come over and have this blokes legs off!
Apparently,he was well practiced in this sort of thing.He had worked for Dayson,and on his only trip for them,had got as far as Paulines at Golling in Austria,where he took a bolt out of the oil filter and drove round the car park untill the engine siezed,then did a runner with the money!
This so called driver decided that as he had no money and the truck was not mobile,he took all his gear out and booked into the Mocamp!
During the next day,I was comleting my check over of the engine,then getting one of the English drivers to drop his trailer and tow the F89 back to Aydin’s place.There is no job Aydin could not do!When genuine spares cost an arm and a leg,you have to work with what you have.When I showed him the damage,that was limited to one piston and bore and the two valves,and asked him what HE thought had caused it,he looked at me sideways and and asked if I hadn’t worked it out for myself!We both agreed,it was sabotage!
Aydin took out the piston,took it into his back workshop where he had an old lathe.He set the piston in his lathe,and turned up the damaged piston top and ring grooves.He fitted new rings and two new valves and rebuilt it the following day,taking some more loose nut and bolts out of the inlet manifold!When he fired her up the next day,it was impossible to say there had been anything that serious wrong.
While I had been down at Aydin’s all day,this pillock of a driver had been down town.I later found out he was in the Pudding Shop,keeping company with some unsavoury characters who HE thought felt sorry for him when he told them he had broken down and his boss had sent somewone from England to shoot him in the legs!
The first I knew about this was when I was in my room in the Mocamp,and hearing a knock on the door,I said come in,and this ■■■■ came in and said he had a message for me from “his friends”.With which,he put a live 9mm bullet on my bedside table and told me that this could have my name on it!
Now I’m ex army myself,and it takes more than some ■■■■■■■■ with a bullet to upset me,after all,it’s no good without a ■■■■■■■ gun is it?!
I told him to save HIMSELF any more trouble,see me at breakfast time.
First thing next morning,we went down to Taji Kachman’s office,which overlooks the Bosphorous to the Istanbul prison.When I told Taji about the sabotage and then the bullet,he was speechless,fuming.He pointed across the water to the prison and told this bloke that his life was in MY hands,if I wished to press charges,he could get 20 years in the Istanbul slammer,with a Turk shagging him every night!That’s the only time this bloke showed any emotion,I thought I saw a tear in his eye,but I may have been mistaken.
Over the couple of days that this had been going on,I had decided that this bloke was going no further,and I’d arranged for another driver,my mate Ray Bailey,to fly out and take the truck on to Baghdad.When Ray turned up,I had Taji ,make out all the paperwork into his name and on his passport,and I took our errant drivers passport.
When we got back to the Mocamp,I gave Ray the paperwork and truck keys,and gave the ex driver his passport back,cleared to leave the country,without a vehicle.When Ray drove out of the Mocamp,destination Baghdad,and I ordered a taxi to the airport,this pratt said to me,"What about me,I’m living in the Mocamp,and I’ve no money,how do I get home?"To which I replied,“Tough luck ■■■■■■■■■ your own way home!”
This story has a couple of twists.
A few months later,I’d just landed in Dover from somewhere,and I’m in DFG,and who do you think I saw?Right on!■■■■■■■■■■■ did a smart about turn when he saw me,and I never got to find out who he was driving for,otherwise I would have grassed him up.
My mate Ray drove down to Iraq,and was driving through Mosul,overtaking a stationary taxi, when a blind geezer 90 years old gets out of the taxi on the wrong side and steps right under Ray’s wheels.DEAD!
Anyway,Ray ends up in jail in Baghdad for 6 months,and we have to fly another driver out to tip the load and bring the truck home.
Looking back,it would have made more sense for me to have taken the truck on from Istanbul,but hindsight is a great thing.

Now you’ve just had a chapter of my book for nothing!

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Waiting for the fuel at Falluja

Yeah,been in that line up myself,waiting for dark and the Bulgy drivers to come round.

Fred Kelly, the name Aubrey rings a bell but I can’t place him at to moment, I will ring round, also a guy from Coventry called Andy Alexander did a bit for Roba.
Somone mentioned a guy with one eye earlier, was he from Coventry and smuggled out of somewhere on the M/E run in the back of his brothers trailer, it made the headline in the Coventry Evening paper, late 70’s early 80’s