TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

truckerash Anybody remember Cliff Barnes on Sanmar ? Shop steward. I hear he is still driving in the Leeds area.

Ahhh yes, Sunday morning. Coffee, croissants and a newspaper. Just reading about the brave old boys winning in the rugby :confused: so i thought id celebrate too by posting a few good old British truck pics :slight_smile:

These first 2 probably more like the 70’s…but im sure they were still running in the 80’s so they qualify to be here :slight_smile:
these two courtesy of Articulation Pics

this Atkins photo is from my own collection

this one courtesy of Articulation Pics

I remember the Harding one. It looked really smart at the time.Hardings became Gulliver Truck Hire if I remember.

JJ72 heres the rare Hanomag, although its a very poor pic :frowning:
and an Ellerpack-Hewson combo.
These 2 pics courtesy of Steve Lynch:
]

Dieselcowboy:
unfortunately Atkins was another name to disappear under the UCI name along with Robsons.

I thought that Atkins closed down and sold the trucks, UCI just took over the vacant yard. May be wrong?

That ain’t no Hanomag.

These are Henshel Hanomags…

truckerash:
JJ72 heres the rare Hanomag, although its a very poor pic :frowning:
and an Ellerpack-Hewson combo.
These 2 pics courtesy of Steve Lynch:
]

“it aint no hanomag” : I know: i meant BUSSING :wink: just making sure you are all awake and paying attention :wink: whatever…

Henrys cat:

Dieselcowboy:
unfortunately Atkins was another name to disappear under the UCI name along with Robsons.

I thought that Atkins closed down and sold the trucks, UCI just took over the vacant yard. May be wrong?

i thought that aswell i think its got a new warehouse there now and the truck are willie betz and nyk

Roger spardo i beg forgiveness from you old hands on this forum now
i know what Harry meant when he asked do they shout at the reunions
and used very small lettering i swear i will only shout in the future when
i have to HAHAHA OUT LOUD but you must remember i am a newby and
have to learn from you guys. Truckerash did Jimbo ever get any compo for
his accident? and on the subject of Rogers i had to load at your depot one time
and was told when i reported in that i was loading pipes but had to wait while they had a short break, so i stripped the tilt out ready to load and sat and waited, when the guy came to load me he informed me that they load the pipes through the back of the trailer “IM SHOUTING NOW” what a wally!!! :unamused:

truckerash:
[

Happy chappy ? :smiley:

bloody hell ash are you having me on or what :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: thats another one of my dad’s old trucks.
he got that one after his own C110 GHD was rolled at towcester on its way back from southampton one friday night by the night man. there was me hoping he was going to get a powerliner but got that old heap. a 2025 merc what a struggler but it never give in.

lololololol pmsl what are you going to dig up next.

harry:
truckerash Anybody remember Cliff Barnes on Sanmar ? Shop steward. I hear he is still driving in the Leeds area.

cliff berry is his name. my dad worked with him at yardleys then at sanmar and then again at devannys. he used to be a very good friend of the family at one time always stopping at our house in london before the invention of the m25.
he is in his 70’s now in fact well into his 70’s and i think he still does the odd germany trip for devannys.
im going to a wedding in a couple of weeks and i expect to see him there.
i think in the end him and my dad had a bit of a falling out at devannys.

truckerash

seeing those old ERF pics made me wonder,have you got any of the left-hookers G.L.Baker/Transhield used to run out of Faversham down to Marks & Spencer Paris?

KW sorry to dissapoint :frowning: but cant find any left hookers…yet. doesnt mean to say i havnt got any pics. I mean look how long it took to get Jessicas dads stuff :slight_smile: ill keep trawling.
in the meantime, is this any good :confused:

hanson:

Henrys cat:

Dieselcowboy:

i thought that aswell i think its got a new warehouse there now and the truck are willie betz and nyk

Atkins were still operating on containers under NYK ownership, before wrapping up, perhaps about 2002? New Wave Logistics (also NYK) were still running some of the old Atkins trailers out of Southampton though for a while after that - cut down tilts with the French-style close-coupled tri-axle bogies. I don’t think those trailers owed much to anyone by then.

jessicas dad Yeah ,Cliff Berry. The last time I saw him he stopped for me when I had a blow-out leaving the Periferique. I was hauling swngin’ beef to Algeria. Give Cliff my best regards. He will know who I am.

harry:
I remember the Harding one. It looked really smart at the time.Hardings became Gulliver Truck Hire if I remember.

hardings are still going as far as i know, have seen them recently

Well, I’ve just read right through this marvellous thread. The best ever. Thank you so much truckerash. Just what us old gits need.

Have you any pics of Eurohaul out of Southampton, please? I was their third ever driver back in about 1967 I would guess. They eventually expanded greatly and did mostly France and some Italy. A bout 1200 trailers, so I was told. Non acompanied trailers to Le havre and picked up by French Eurohaul drivers. The same in Blighty,but with Brit drivers. Finally went pop in about 1988 for several million. Robin Colenso, the boss, was a good bloke.

Fridged Freight? Yes I remember meeting one of their drivers in Calais. Good old East Anglian fella.

Kelly reight out of Omagh N.I. Met their TM on the ferry once. He was asking all the English drivers to come and work for him. The paddiesjust went on the ■■■■, as soon as they got their running money. (Laugh or what)

Leyland Crusader? Saw one in Concorezzo once. Radcliffe Transport I believe,. Had a cabin like a Wellington bomber.

Finally, Prato? Bales of rag out and reload with rolls of finished cloth. Bruno’s cafe in the railway square. Great grub. Kept awake all night by the boy racers in their Fita 500s. Solved that one by spreading oil all over the cobbles on one particular corner.

Replying to the last thread regarding Eurohaul.The boss of Southern Transport and Shipping STS Ron Griffiths Used to be a traffic clerk at Eurohaul Lovely man…

REXYU glad to see you are enjoying the photos and stories on here :smiley:
so: because i am a nice kinda guy :confused: (some would disagree…especially those who are “still” waiting for photos :confused: ), heres a little something especially for you…

think i got a Transcon pic somewhere, have to dig her out…

Thanks Ash. Different livery from my day, but a real scruffy Eurohaul motor.

That ground brings it all back. Typical 60s/70s cafe lorry park.

Thanks again mate

Steve