TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

JUST FOR YOU JESSICAS DAD finally found what ive been looking for:
sorry they are only black and white.

I have to admit these arnt my photos…but by my reckoning you still owe me a large wedge :laughing: …well, maybe a cup of T sumtime ay?

hope these are what you want to see :confused:
dont know who took these two:

this one is copyright MB Transport Photos

and this one is copyright Arthur Ingram…its hardly the 80’s but who cares…

cheers ash

a big thank you

:laughing: :smiley: :laughing: :smiley: :laughing: :smiley: :laughing:

im really pleased thank you very much.

this is my dads truck and the one i travel over most of europe by the time i was 6. then one day my dad called the yard and was told " come back to leeds job’s over " :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

thank you very much im well chuffed.

i do owe a good drink. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dieselcowboy What’s the old boys name on Beresford. He is a legend in his own lunchtime.

Dieselcowboy:
I am flying out to work with my uglier brother this weekend for 11 days, must be mad!

oi less of that!!! nice pics diesel, its always the stuff in the background which can be of great interest too, anyone got any 80s pics of curries of dumfries (back of one pic) and that looks like a raceteam sponsored by goodyear in another, i especially love the dover lineup pic, cracking stuff!!!

my old boss used to go into europe when need be, i had forgotten i had these pics in photobucket so im able to share them, cammacks were dong european work up until a couple of years ago when edwards logistics took the work as they could store a lot of the stuff we were doing, just before they got took over by mr betz, anyhow, heres some pics of glorys past…

2 trucks which were not liked by their drivers from what im told, the man was eventually sold to someone who was doing containers out of felixstowe

hope you all like

On my first European cycle touring holiday, in 1982, I found this on the verge, somewhere in Belgium or France:

Needless to say, it went right on the back of my bike, and stayed there until I went back to school.

I’m going to build a tilt for the back of my present steed, and set off again, as soon as I can afford it.

[zb]
anorak:
On my first European cycle touring holiday, in 1982, I found this on the verge, somewhere in Belgium or France:

Needless to say, it went right on the back of my bike, and stayed there until I went back to school.

I’m going to build a tilt for the back of my present steed, and set off again, as soon as I can afford it.

Hi mate that TIR plate with the dots in between and the thin lettering is an old original uite sort after today, Buzzer.

Buzzer:

[zb]
anorak:

Hi mate that TIR plate with the dots in between and the thin lettering is an old original uite sort after today, Buzzer.

Ta for the info. PM me your name etc, and I’ll put you in my will. The plate will be yours, at some stage. :smiley:

TRUCKERASH ASKS WHO AND WHERE IS GEOFF HOEY?
I FIRST MET GEOFF ON THE WEIGHBRIDGE UP THE TOP OF THE
OLD CERDON IN1977 WE WERE STUCK IN BAD SNOW FOR ABOUT 36 HOURS AND WE BECAME GOOD FRIENDS HE WENT TO WORK FOR
HALLET SILBERMANS A COUPLE OF YEARS LATER AND THATS WHERE HIS STRETCHED SCANIA CAME FROM (NOT RUSSEL DAVIES) HIS WIFE
ERIN CAME FROM NEW ZEALAND AND USED TO DRIVE AS WELL AS GEOFF
I HAVE SAT AND HAD MANY A MEAL IN THAT BIG OLD SCANIA. HE WENT UP TO SIX MOTORS IN ALL AND PULLED FOR MANY COMPANYS AND THEN
HE SPLIT UP WITH HIS WIFE SHE WENT BACK TO NEW ZEALAND AND HE REDUCED HIS FLEET TO ONE MOTOR I LAST SAW GEOFF AT A FUNERAL
IN 1995 AND THE LAST TIME I SPOKE WITH HIM ON THE PHONE WHICH WAS ABOUT 1999 HE WAS GOING TO TRAVEL TO AMERICA BUY A RV AND
SEE WHAT HAPPENED AND I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM HIM SINCE I HAVE SOME PHOTOS SOMEWHERE OF THE INSIDE OF THAT BEASTY SCANIA
I WILL DIG THEM OUT FOR YOUR SITE I WOULD LIKE TO ADD THAT I MET A LOT OF GUYS IN MY 25 YEARS IN EUROPE AND GEOFF HOEY WAS ONE OF THE BEST,AGAIN A CERTAIN BREED THAT IS GONE FOR GOOD
BOB CAIRNS

“Crack on to Macon”…what a great name :laughing:
says it all about running down to Italy. Crack on to Macon, turn left and head for the Blanc…ah yes, the memories…and the hairpins :confused:

thanks for the info on Mr Hoey, cant wait to see some interior pics :slight_smile:
oh and any other photos of your days with your trucks would be nice! :slight_smile:

truckerash:
“Crack on to Macon”…what a great name :laughing:
says it all about running down to Italy. Crack on to Macon, turn left and head for
the Blanc…ah yes, the memories…and the hairpins :confused:

:slight_smile:

Second that Ash, 1st stop the Bakehouse. :wink:
But Bob, we know you’re not shouting at us, but with your Caps Lock stuck it
certainly seems like it. Surely an old hand like you could find a hammer and
give it a whack :wink:
Would be nice. :laughing:
Otherwise when will we know when you really are shouting. :confused: :unamused: ?

I was on promotor in the 70s ,it was owned and run then by peter calderwood and his wife liz,we were based in west kent cold store but the office was in bromley in peters dads house (anyone remember George) ,at the time we took on any sort of loads but peter was aiming for exhibition work ,which at the time was a very profitable market, myself and the others used to spend weeks tramping about in the commie bloc countries moving exhibitions around. the others were as i remember, stevie smith, mick mitchell,billy heath, billy took, john the aussie, cant recall all them but they were a great crowd of lads, also done some for steve mcallister, freddie young, and many years before with eddie morgan pulling eic roadliner trailers,traction only to italy. happy days. :unamused: :laughing:

Nice story re Promotor Supercube.

the only George i know was a South African? Is this who you refer to?

I know Promotor did middle East, but whats the connection here with
Afro-Camion? Sounds more like North Africa…

Got any photos of your days on there you can share with us? Love to see more pics of the old 110’s and 111’s.

B200 NRT a 142 tag axle, former Russell Davis motor bought by MacHayes International from Forncett near Long Stratton, fresh out of the paint shop and ready for her first International trip, driven by my dad, thats me beside him, i think the truck was 3 years old when Alec bought it, not sure what year that was. I spent many a school week skiyving in her going to Switzerland and Italy. This truck is also in the book One Eleven Squadron by Simon Waspe.

JESSICAS DAD CHECK THIS OUT !
You asked for pics of Sanmar a long long time ago…
Did you know they did Middle East?
Well here are the pics to prove it.
Well actually it wasnt really Sanmar doing it, these were all “sellers”.
Anyone not sure of what that is: they are sourced in the UK by an exporter who has a potential buyer in the Middle East. The trucks are driven overland and sold to the Arabs. They love the old Mercs out there!
Got these pics from Mark Stewart, who was an O/D for Astran and after his 141 burnt out, he gave up the round trips and started running the sellers out there.

B426 HEE

and B569 FVL
Istanbul…

“Destination Doha”…

Happy chappy ? :smiley:

truckerash:

Ash,
We mentioned George in one of the other threads,and I said he was a policeman in South Africa in a previous life.The only time I ran with him,he was driving a Mack for OHS.

For the information of Supercube,When I was on Expo Freight we did some work for Pro Motor.The one trip I did was to a trade fair in Teheran.

Dogubayezet truck stop in eastern Turkey on the way out,with a Pro Motor supercube.I have some pics of me getting tipped in Teheran but can’t put my hand on them at the mo.

bestbooties:

truckerash:

Ash,
We mentioned George in one of the other threads,and I said he was a policeman in South Africa in a previous life.The only time I ran with him,he was driving a Mack for OHS.

For the information of Supercube,When I was on Expo Freight we did some work for Pro Motor.The one trip I did was to a trade fair in Teheran.

Dogubayezet truck stop in eastern Turkey on the way out,with a Pro Motor supercube.I have some pics of me getting tipped in Teheran but can’t put my hand on them at the mo.

great photos of the pm volvo, its true that george the s african was a driver, with a belt for all occasions, but george was also the name of the boss;s father. Afrocamion was a company formed to do, as the name implies, n africa but was abandoned after 3-4 trips, i cant recall the exact reason but it was something like the rewards were greater doing m/e, the scania ended up doing just that, piloted by stevie smith. expofreight? was that run by ray philips? i will dig out some pics when i can as i have moved 3 times since those days and i am not sure where they are.

truckerash:

hanson:
didnt rokold look impressive set up more fantastic pics truckerash i knew comart exsisted tried to find pics the other week and no one had heard of them my dad has a lot of pics of hercocks so i will get them and try and put them on.i used to go over myself and im glad i did so i can enjoy and share the fantastic memorys theses pics bring.just thought of another what about beresfords of stoke and browns of leighton buzzard think they had american trucks at the time.

Comart ran some smart trucks, F88’s and F10/12’s. I think they had connections with Thor Transport (Stoke) and maybe Moorlocks.
Pics of those to follow nex few days, watch this space…

Comart pulled tilts for Patricks at one point. Bit ominous, but ill tell yous that story another night when ive found the pics to go with it.

does anybody remember petal who drove for comart, a nice man but the nickname definitly suited!!!

Ian excuse my niavety but in your pic of the Scania above you have a tyre up on the roof…am I right in presuming that it was just a tyre? Surely not the whole wheel rim and tyre aswell?

And if it was how the hell did you get it up there, guess it would come down preety quick though!! :laughing:

ash wonder if you have any pictures of a rentco box trailer veiwed from the side, inb your colection?. building an f10 kit so any help n the trailer would be grateful mate… :smiley: