Trucker vs lorry driver

Forgive me for sounding like a bit of an old ■■■■ but when did it become the the norm . .to call it trucking,or to be a trucker?
Transport/Road haulage and being a lorry driver sounds so much more professional imo.
Logistics . . don"t even go there .

Lorry… looks like worry, sounds like sorry.

Truck for me, every time. It’s from the ancient Greek, “Trocchus”, meaning “wheel” so it has a perfectly acceptable pedigree.

Harry Monk:

Truck for me, every time. It’s from the ancient Greek, “Trocchus”, meaning “wheel” so it has a perfectly acceptable pedigree.

Cheers for that H,you have enlightened me.
I am obviously getting old in my old age.
Was you on that stone job to Avebury ? :question:

I’ve never been happy with this new fangled trucker or even lorry driver, I much prefer Wagon Master. :laughing:

The thing is, “lorry” isn’t some type of traditional ancient British word, I think its first recorded use was in 1911, it certainly wasn’t in use before the invention of motorised vehicles, whereas “truck” was in use to describe a wheeled railway wagon over a hundred years earlier, even before steam locomotives were invented, when mine wagons were towed by horses. So it is not, as some people think, a modern Americanism.

Incidentally, did you know that “Volvo” is Latin for “I roll”? :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s really more a case the title of truck driver v lorry driver based on the difference between the description of truck in most parts of the English speaking world as opposed to lorry which is really just a localised description historically applying here.

Trucker or truckie etc are just abbreviations of the truck driver title which arguably originated by the public in general outside the industry and are arguably just as technically incorrect specific local uninformed slang as the title lorry driver is.

In general,when conversing within the industry,in the English speaking world,the correct title is a truck driven by a truck driver.Which is why the site is ( correctly ) not called lorrynetuk. :bulb: :wink:

My Mums name is Loretta (nick name Lorry), and my brother was always lagging behind so my Dad always called them Lorry and the trailer :laughing:
Mum left not long after that…lets not dwell :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I say wagon driver, not sure why but as a kid by the Docks they where all wagon drivers :laughing:

Carryfast:
It’s really more a case the title of truck driver v lorry driver based on the difference between the description of truck in most parts of the English speaking world as opposed to lorry which is really just a localised description historically applying here.

Trucker or truckie etc are just abbreviations of the truck driver title which arguably originated by the public in general outside the industry and are arguably just as technically incorrect specific local uninformed slang as the title lorry driver is.

In general,when conversing within the industry,in the English speaking world,the correct title is a truck driven by a truck driver.Which is why the site is ( correctly ) not called lorrynetuk. :bulb: :wink:

Fair comment,well put.
Before i passed my test,i wanted to be a lorry driver . . not a trucker.
So am i a “trucker” or a lorry driver.

I like to refer to myself as a Product Relocation Executive when asked.

kjw21:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So where does wagon fit in…where they drawn by horses? (originally)

I thought of myself a lorry driver, although I drove a wagon and drag (or dog ‘n’ pup), not a lorry and drag, but working for a government department, I called myself a LEO (Logistics Enablement Officer)!

Steve

Harry Monk:

Did you also know that the same word, in the phrase “I have no truck with that” is from the French “troquer”, meaning “trade”?

You do learn a lot on the internet. :slight_smile:

I’m a lorry driver, or a truck driver (or I was before I went in the office). These are both different from a trucker, which is someone who has all the cab bling but wouldn’t know how to use a ratchet strap, change a bulb or a wheel or any of the other small jobs lorry drivers do as a matter of course. Truckers tend to be better at polishing the fuel tank, fitting frilly curtain pelmets and standing next to their “rig” at truck shows. :laughing:

Could be a “lorryist” working in “lorrying” according to Jeremy Clarkson.

Driving runs in the family and usually it’s been trucker/wagon driver. Mates outside of driving who’ve used those names when trucks/lorries came into conversation always used “trucker” or wagon driver with a bit of an air of being impressed with it, whereas seemed to me people/daily mail use “lorry driver” to picture a British donkey jacket wearing working man sort of thing. Bit like Denzel. Supposed these days its boring old LGV driver or soon to be LGV operative. I don’t mind what I’m called as long as it’s not rude :smiley:

Freight Dog:
I don’t mind what I’m called as long as it’s not rude :smiley:

I don’t mind what I am called as long as legal and paid lots :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kjw21:

I go for Field Based Logistics Technician :grimacing:

I like to think of myself as a stock replenisher…:smiley:

Build it up all you want.!! Although if that fat forklift driver wants you to stand over there in a cage, then you will do it.
Be as professional all you want, but if Derek the stacker driver says you stand on that line, then you better brace up and do it :wink:

The job is professional whatever name it is. Just look at the rules and regs you have to satisfy. More so than the days of old when roping and sheeting and throwing frisbees out the window. So in that regard the job has changed, it’s moved from being a hands on skill set to a rules and regs skill set.

If the old boys had never ran with two logbooks, and boasted about magnets then maybe you wouldn’t have to be treated like children!

The DCPC is in force because you can’t be trusted to do a mundane run of the mill job correctly.

Chester’s been at the rum again …