Trucker vs lorry driver

By the look of a lot of HGV entitlement holders then I would say they are more of a “Steering Wheel Attendant” :unamused: :unamused:

Lorry drivers used to shun international work when it started. Truckers were up for anything . Me ,I’m a HGV pilot. :sunglasses:

“Distributional consultant and technician”.

Wagon driver. Maybe it’s more of a NE term?

Brucewillis:
Wagon driver. Maybe it’s more of a NE term?

Then it’s ‘Waggin’ driver?

Harry Monk:
The thing is, “lorry” isn’t some type of traditional ancient British word, I think its first recorded use was in 1911, it certainly wasn’t in use before the invention of motorised vehicles, whereas “truck” was in use to describe a wheeled railway wagon over a hundred years earlier, even before steam locomotives were invented, when mine wagons were towed by horses. So it is not, as some people think, a modern Americanism.

Incidentally, did you know that “Volvo” is Latin for “I roll”? :stuck_out_tongue:

When I was a lad, I learnt that ‘lorry’ was a Victorian word for a flat cart pulled by a horse. I’ve just looked it up and it comes from about 1830 according to my source.
‘lor·ry[lawr-ee, lor-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural lor·ries.
Chiefly British . a motor truck, especially a large one.
any of various conveyances running on rails, as for transporting material in a mine or factory.
a long, low, horse-drawn wagon without sides.
Origin:
1830—40; akin to dial. lurry to pull, drag, lug’

Also, the reason why we think ‘truck’ is a modern Americanism FOR LORRY is because it is! Lorries were not known as trucks in Britain until those '50s American telly programmes like Cannonball and the other one whose name I forget. Before that, a truck always referred to a railway wagon in this country. I checked with my old man a while back and he was adamant that nobody ever talked of trucks unless they were referring to railways. Robert

Brought up in the north west, it was only ever classed as wagon driver for me.

Lolly ice or ice lolly? Again in the north west it’s a lolly ice, but here in the north east they all say ice lolly - they’re wrong!!!

stevieboy308:

Lolly ice or ice lolly? Again in the north west it’s a lolly ice, but here in the north east they all say ice lolly - they’re wrong!!!

I grew up in the east Midlands where they were called ‘suckers’! Lick that! Robert :laughing:

And another thing! (My god, if you can’t enjoy a bit of on-line pedantry with fellow old ■■■■■ on a Saturday morning, then what’s the point!!). Is it ‘truck-enthusiast’ or is it ‘lorryist’? Or should that be ‘waggonomaniac’? Robert :laughing:

I see it as fairly simple. Are we on TruckNet or LorryNet?

Suedehead:
‘…when did it become the the norm to … be a trucker…?’

About the same time sensibly named ‘films’ became weakly called ‘movies’ and the daft word ‘wireless’ wisely became ‘radio’?

Maybe it’s the erosion of English language at the hands of Funky Tone’s & Dippy Dave’s, Cool Britannia, uber-liberal apologists, mate :wink:

Suedehead:
‘…when did it become the the norm to … be a trucker…?’

Probably when Convoy or Smokey and the bandit hit the cinema screens :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

robert1952:

Harry Monk:
The thing is, “lorry” isn’t some type of traditional ancient British word, I think its first recorded use was in 1911, it certainly wasn’t in use before the invention of motorised vehicles, whereas “truck” was in use to describe a wheeled railway wagon over a hundred years earlier, even before steam locomotives were invented, when mine wagons were towed by horses. So it is not, as some people think, a modern Americanism.

Incidentally, did you know that “Volvo” is Latin for “I roll”? :stuck_out_tongue:

When I was a lad, I learnt that ‘lorry’ was a Victorian word for a flat cart pulled by a horse. I’ve just looked it up and it comes from about 1830 according to my source.
‘lor·ry[lawr-ee, lor-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural lor·ries.
Chiefly British . a motor truck, especially a large one.
any of various conveyances running on rails, as for transporting material in a mine or factory.
a long, low, horse-drawn wagon without sides.
Origin:
1830—40; akin to dial. lurry to pull, drag, lug’

Also, the reason why we think ‘truck’ is a modern Americanism FOR LORRY is because it is! Lorries were not known as trucks in Britain until those '50s American telly programmes like Cannonball and the other one whose name I forget. Before that, a truck always referred to a railway wagon in this country. I checked with my old man a while back and he was adamant that nobody ever talked of trucks unless they were referring to railways. Robert

Which leaves the inconvenient question of the rest of the English speaking world having also adopted the description of truck as opposed to lorry.As for Americanisms going by the original logic of the description we’d still be calling everything from a horse drawn wagon and trucks to rail rolling stock lorries :open_mouth: while the Americans called a truck a truck and a railway wagon a car to differentiate them from a horse drawn wagon.With the Australians and New Zealanders at least agreeing with the Americans at least in terms of the description of a truck and the Brits eventually following on later. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

robert1952:

stevieboy308:

I grew up in the east Midlands where they were called ‘suckers’! Lick that! Robert :laughing:

Me to Robert I’m a Notts lad mi duck
I like to be called a lorry driver even though now I’m a yard Shunter but I do own a restored classic lorry
When people say to me it’s a nice truck I reply I haven’t got a truck but I have got a nice lorry

Truck is an American term for driving large goods vehicles. The British term was always Lorry driver. Its the younger element of LGV drivers who term the vehicles as trucks,and the job as truckers.
In my case its lorry driver, and proud of it. Each to their own on what term they use.

I think the rot really set in at the beginning of the '70 with the arrival of TRUCK, TRUCKING INTERNATIONAL, and TRUCK & DRIVER magazines! Now don’t get me wrong: I loved those mags and bought them whenever I could, but they were embarassingly pseudo-American in the very early days. Lorries were ‘trucks’ at best and ‘rigs’ at worst, fridges were ‘reefers’, artics were ‘semis’ and so it went on. At the time I couldn’t get my head round this sell-out, and I used to have to go out and buy a copy of HEADLIGHT as an antidote. Mercifully, they grew out of the yankee talk, breakers, but the titles remained, slowly eroding the sub-cultural lingo of the transport industry. Robert

Don’t give a monkey’s as long as I’m paid. I suppose ‘drive’ sums me up best as I can and do drive everything from ‘real’ quads through tractors, combines to artics+decker in the course of a year.

Ans where i come from thara wagin driver

In our place were known as the peasants.

Why not just hgv driver