Truck sheds load on sutton bank

As per title not sure if I mis heard on radio 2 this morning? I’m amazed not weight limit on that hill.

“Blimey my truck is pulling up this hill like a dream this morning…”

Apparently a shed load of meat.

I have pulled a double decker up there, I was well pleased when I got to the top. Serious hill.

that hill used to scare me in a coach!
:blush:

If we’re thinking about “proper” hills, how about the A388 going out of Launceston toward Holdsworthy?

I came down Sutton bank in the snow last year. Arse twitching like a rabbits nose is an understatement. Never again.

I live within a mile of the bank top what usually happens is fridge. 10 maybe 12 ton on the front in big plastic pallet boxes bar across to hold them forward greasy slippery floor, still with me, wrong gear cos I have only got half a load on round the bend and there is a problem into low gear big lurch boxes take off at a hell of a lick bar does not hold them by the time they get to the back doors they don’t hold either simple as that a neighbour of mine went down one day as the doors burst open and the r.h. Door took the door pillar out of his Peugeot people carrier he was bloody lucky!!!

They call them dolavs, I remember some escaping 4 or 5 Years ago.

Spent a lot of time round that area refuse point blank to go up with any kind of load only go up empty otherwise caravan route laded come down regular loaded. That is a serious hill that deserves respect. If u fry the brakes on the first half your going straight on at the hairpin bend over the edge. After the hairpin the second half is even steeper proper hill

Never been that heavy when using Sutton Bank, but that is a hell of a hill :open_mouth: . Another one that gets the ticker going is Staxton Top (i think thats what its called) took a fully loaded spud bulker down there early one morning, the weight just kept pushing and pushing, the brakes stunk and so did my trousers by the time I got to the lights with the A64 :blush: took the long route after that :sunglasses:

I’ve gone down Sutton bank and up staxton hill fully loaded loads, I always just went down on the exhaust brake all the way

stevieboy308:
I’ve gone down Sutton bank and up staxton hill fully loaded loads, I always just went down on the exhaust brake all the way

There’s a limit as too how effective a Premium exhuast brake is, and 44ton down Staxton top is past it :open_mouth:

eddie snax:

stevieboy308:

There’s a limit as too how effective a Premium exhuast brake is, and 44ton down Staxton top is past it :open_mouth:

i’d bet the same gear it’ll go up in will be there or there abouts be able to hold it coming down :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

ya wanna try coming down in a ag tractor without an exhaust brake! then hit a false neutral at the top, then find out the hire trailer has defective brakes = the closest i’ve ever come to taking to a sand pit :laughing: :laughing: i never did get the gears back until it leveled out at the bottom :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

All the times I’ve been down hit never seen a sand pit as for going up at 44 ton surprised u got traction

I used to use it every day nigh on when I did morrisons Stockton and then went to collect out of malt on,I really can’t see what the big issue is,it’s just another hill,the problem is a lot of drivers are beaten/talked themselves out of it before they get anywhere it.
Just remember it’s just a hill :unamused: :unamused:

Went to the Lakes with the girlfriend in Febuary and decided to see what The Wrynose and Hardknotts Passes were all about. Wow! And ■■■■ me! :open_mouth: both came to mind,stunning scenery going up and down hills that are 1 in 4! Couldn’t get the car out of 1st gear somtimes :blush:

dozy:
I used to use it every day nigh on when I did morrisons Stockton and then went to collect out of malt on,I really can’t see what the big issue is,it’s just another hill,the problem is a lot of drivers are beaten/talked themselves out of it before they get anywhere it.
Just remember it’s just a hill :unamused: :unamused:

Hiya can i agree with you read the road and drive properly. their’s a hill on the A52 at Froghall its the reverse of Sutton bank(tight bend at the top) get in the correct gear and make sure your loaded right.its the bright sparks who try to ■■■■■■ a gear partway up the hill, they loose traction. i’ve been up Sutton bank with a 180 gardner in a erf at 32 ton no problem.
John

went up and down Sutton bank the other month in my car, and It normally make’s fun of hill’s, well 170bhp in 1500kg car, now this hill had it down in first gear to climb after the first hairpin, got to the 2nd hairpin at about 40mph…

Is it not strange that caravans are banned from using it, but we still can even fully laden■■?

Stalled (gaffers) 61’ plate Audi A4 on a hairpin bend halfway up a very steep hill coming north out of Widemouth Bay near Bude in Cornwall - so far, so ordinary… Engaged the electronic handbrake, restarted it… when I tried to set off, it wouldn’t let me :open_mouth: :open_mouth: … alarm noise and display on dash “gradient too steep - start vehicle on a lesser gradient” :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Didn’t know that was an option?! Really wanted a ‘proper’ handbrake then!

Had to set back to something more like 1 in 6 rather than 1 in 3 and try again!!