Truck Sat Nav

Whilst I don’t really like sat nav, as a new driver I’m more than happy to embrace new technologies for the benefit of convenience.

Can anyone shed any realistic light on which pro gps is considered the best to use. I’ve heard many things, good and bad, about them all.

I’ve survived so far with the combination of common sense and a car sat nav in my first class 1 job, but I would prefer the luxury of being guided around low bridges etc to make my easier and therefore more enjoyable. Obviously when I become more experienced I will be able to dispense with the sat nav and have it only for emergencies but until then…

Which one is the best to use? Tomtom, Garmin, Snooper■■?

Many thanks as always for your collective wisdom :smiley:

Hi timmo. Im on same boat mate. I put post up last week about the same thing. For same reason weight bridges height length etc. Anyway i seen the latest snooper s8000 truck mate pro. Tv freeview etc on it for nights etc. Was talking to guy on the forum and said he had the s8000 and could not fault it. It has the lot on it. Ive been checking it out last week on ebay. Amazon etc. Is bit pricey though. Cheapst i seen was amazon at £330 think it was. But on the snooper website £350, but couple extras think they throw in. So ill be buying mine this week :smiley:

I’m surprised there’s never been a thread on this subject before.

YAWN.

Off to read a training diary

In use, I don’t think there’s a lot between them. None of them are 100% accurate regarding bridge heights and (especially) weight restrictions. This is more to do with deficiencies in the mapping data than the Satnavs themselves. I get the impression the Snooper units deal better with the time-related restrictions in London etc. I also think the TomTom Live traffic service is miles better than the free-to-air RDS-TMC stuff the others use. Sadly it’s a subscription service though, so extra cost (AIUI some of the consumer TomTom units now have the Traffic service free for the life of the unit, but this has yet to be extended to the “Pro” truck units…). Garmin and (I think) Snooper cope with multi-drop routing rather better than the current crop of TomToms (older TomToms such as the Go 7000 Truck were much better).

NOVE:
I’m surprised there’s never been a thread on this subject before.

YAWN.

Off to read a training diary

I beg your bloody pardon you ■■■. We’ve all got to start somewhere you arrogant little ■■■■

My thanks for the constructive comments! :smiley:

davy1111:
Hi timmo. Im on same boat mate. I put post up last week about the same thing. For same reason weight bridges height length etc. Anyway i seen the latest snooper s8000 truck mate pro. Tv freeview etc on it for nights etc. Was talking to guy on the forum and said he had the s8000 and could not fault it. It has the lot on it. Ive been checking it out last week on ebay. Amazon etc. Is bit pricey though. Cheapst i seen was amazon at £330 think it was. But on the snooper website £350, but couple extras think they throw in. So ill be buying mine this week :smiley:

Nice one, please let me know how you get on.

Some say that you can get one from china on ebay for 50 quid that do the same thing but am not sure… :question:

Nove. Dont know why negative comments. We are all here for help. Yes timmo let you know how i get on. Im deffo going for s8000, yes ive heard about ebay 50 quid ones. Not sure about them though bud :slight_smile:

Can you still have three fifteen minute breaks?

And it’s Mr Nove

I think miss nove

Miss you too luvvie

:laughing: :laughing: ahh thanks

Yes, you can have three 15 minute breaks if you wish.

Roymondo:

Every hour?

i use the tomtom 7150 90% of it good 5% local knowhow beats it 5% common sense will keep you safe if that fails get the Phillips bible (map) out

NOVE:

Roymondo:

Every hour?

Yes, if you wish to do so.

ive had a snooper and the only thing time related is it warns you about them but still enforces the timed limits all day, I sent the snooper back as I thought the software was rubbish and buggy, ive now got the tomtom 5150 pro and prefer it by far,
it still enforces the timed limits all day but tomtom are looking into it to correct this, the software is far better than snooper and garmin and the hd traffic is great and seems quite accurate.
Halfords stock all 3 main brands last time I see, see if you can find a localish branch that will have demo models on show so yu can play and see what is best for you.

and NO you cant split your breaks into 3 15 mins… you can have a 15 min then a 30 min, not the other way round

Quick question about sat navs. Do you need a specific truck sat nav to run off the 24v or do lorries also have a 12v socket?

some of the newer dafs justa few years old have a 12v normal uk ciggy lighter socket and a 24v euro socket, dunno about other brand trucks, the older dafs and Iveco’s were 24v on both