Truck Sat Nav

So if a truck only has 24v sockets, is a specific truck sat nav required or can a normal car be plugged into 24v?

Am tempted by the Snooper 8000 myself as long as I can find a lifetime maps freebie

The ■■■ lighter chargers that come with TomTom satnavs (even the car and bike models) are rated for 12V/24V use. Some aftermarket and generic “USB” ■■■ lighter adaptors are OK on both voltages, some not. AFAIK the Garmin chargers are OK on both voltages. The Snooper truck units come with a 24V charger (which I assume can also be used on 12V).

andygt4:
Am tempted by the Snooper 8000 myself as long as I can find a lifetime maps freebie

Got a Snooper s8000 top piece of kit, came from “satnav warehouse” with free lifetime map updates !

BillyMac:
Quick question about sat navs. Do you need a specific truck sat nav to run off the 24v or do lorries also have a 12v socket?

BillyMac:
So if a truck only has 24v sockets, is a specific truck sat nav required or can a normal car be plugged into 24v?

I’ve had this problem in the past. I had a tom tom car sat nav and for some reason i kept ‘breaking’ my car adaptor when using it in my 18 ton rigid. Until one somebody much cleverer than I pointed out that the tom tom car charger was only rated for 12v and i had been plugging it into a 24v outlet in my rigid. Hence I was drawing too much power for the 12v cable to take, and it fried every time.

Garmin use cables that are rated for 12 and 24v, i dont know if other brands do but it is well worth checking before you plug a 12v cable into a 24v outlet…

hope this helps

bandit12:

andygt4:

Got a Snooper s8000 top piece of kit, came from “satnav warehouse” with free lifetime map updates !

Garmin and TomTom have been offering free lifetime map updates for some time now…

most cabs have 12 & 24v outlets and its pretty important that you make sure which one you are plugging into.

in any case the best way to approach this is to simply get a cable that can take 24v. you cant go wrong then, although check it from time to time to make sure its not getting too hot, which could indicate faulty wiring somewhere

NOVE:
Can you still have three fifteen minute breaks?

You are such a bellend, get a life

timmo29:

BillyMac:
Quick question about sat navs. Do you need a specific truck sat nav to run off the 24v or do lorries also have a 12v socket?

BillyMac:

I’ve had this problem in the past. I had a tom tom car sat nav and for some reason i kept ‘breaking’ my car adaptor when using it in my 18 ton rigid. Until one somebody much cleverer than I pointed out that the tom tom car charger was only rated for 12v and i had been plugging it into a 24v outlet in my rigid. Hence I was drawing too much power for the 12v cable to take, and it fried every time.

Garmin use cables that are rated for 12 and 24v, i dont know if other brands do but it is well worth checking before you plug a 12v cable into a 24v outlet…

hope this helps

TomTom chargers have been 12/24V for years (maybe even from the beginning - I still have the original charger that came with my TomTom One back in 2005 - and it is 12/24V) - Were the new ones you bought to replace the “broken” chargers genuine TomTom units?

■■■■ it. Im tempted by the tomtom 5150 live now. £100 pound cheaper and just as good. Seems do same job sombody above says

Sorry… tomtom 5150 truckmate pro :smiley:

Sorry… tomtom 5150 truckmate pro :smiley:

davy1111:
[zb] it. Im tempted by the tomtom 5150 live now. £100 pound cheaper and just as good. Seems do same job sombody above says

Cheaper, but no TV !! :unamused:

I know. I wanted the tv as well. But moneys bit tight so have to go for tomtom for now. Deffo get snooper at some stage

nove do you honestly need training on use of sat nav YAWN, youl get the hang of them with them training papers no doubt

How the hell do you plug a 12v into a 24v socket? A 12v wont fit a 24v socket there way slimmer

vysie:
How the hell do you plug a 12v into a 24v socket? A 12v wont fit a 24v socket there way slimmer

■■■ lighter sockets are identical.

My old MAN had 2 hella sockets, one for each voltage, my 4 way fitted in to both of those too

I use a Garmin Dezl 560. It’s pretty good although Garmins do have some limitations - the directions are sometimes misleading (always look at where the line on the map goes) and the pronunciation is often poor, but it does the job for me. I previously had a Garmin car sat-nav, so I knew of its limitations.

I previously had a TomTom Truck 5150 and it was awful. The user interface was unresponsive (taking a second or two to respond to any keypress), there were numerous screens to jump through including repeated, unnecessary safety warnings (all subject to that slow user interface); the directions were often utterly misleading (e.g. a wrong road number or destination being given), wrong speed limits, and stupid design features (such as having the USB connector in the dock rather than in the unit itself). I sent it back after a couple of weeks and bought the Garmin.

I think it’s quite a poor piece of design to have a USB socket on the satnav itself, TBH. Mini-USB is a poor choice for something that’s likely to be plugged/unplugged several times a day (the designed MTBF of the original Mini-USB connector was only 1,000 or so insertions, later increased to 5,000, then 10,000 for the later Micro-USB). Better to have the USB connector on the dock, which can (a) be left in situ and (b) costs a lot less to replace when it eventually does wear out. I am told that failure of the connector during the first 12 months is one of the common reasons for warranty repair/return of phones etc, and has been mentioned here as a failure point on satnavs units, triggering the purchase of a new one. My old TomTom One has mini-USB on the unit, and the connection is getting a bit dodgy now due to wear. Same applied to my old Go7000 before it got stolen. Was never an issue on the Go530 that I had before that (which also had the USB connector on the dock).

Docking/undocking the 5150 is an easy, one-handed operation (see earlier mention of stolen Go7000 for why I think this is a good idea…), makes it easy to pop the TomTom out of harm’s way at every drop.

Mind you, TomTom have tried several different bespoke dock/connectors, and not all of them have been totally sucessful (ask anyone who regularly uses a TomTom Rider on a motorbike…).

Oh - and the 5150 is a lot less sluggish to respond if you disable display of some of the default POIs, too. Still don’t much like the capacitive touch-screen though - far too sensitive should you brush against it with your finger while aiming for a particular point on the screen, and the absence of positive feedback (such as an audible click) exacerbates the issue.

I use a tom tom pro truck and its never let me down.even tho it some times takes a long way for a short cut,it still gets me there