Truck navigation system

Hi, does anyone know what’s the best but cheapest truck navigation system there is?

Yeah…A map

mapfactor app. Truck version 40 quid

Eyeballs. Backed up with the latest version of common sense.

Sorry Matt if I find out myself I’ll let you know rather than post unhelpful information like the above. Although dave_garners recommendation could be good.

If you don’t think using your eyes in conjunction with your brain is useful,perhaps you are in the wrong job.

Road markings,road signs,evidence of tyre scrub off trailers etc etc.

Why is a good truck atlas being unhelpful then…He asked for a cheap truck navigation aid…Them maps are around £20…

In my opinion cheaper is equal to worse but I have to admit that even an expensive system can cheat you. I picked up Garmin Dezl 760lmt-d from one of online stores in September last year and paid exactly 360 pounds for this device. Do not believe if you spend the same amount or more than myself it will make you the best driver. It does not show ideal routes. It will try to make you a troublemaker. It will push you to drive into roads or streets with weight limits even if there are legal routes to follow or go under the bridge because it does not exist in its database. We all know it is so easy to use the sat nav, however, in order to become a successful lorry driver you would need to have at least these two things:

• tablet with access to Google Maps, Bing Maps
  • truck(!) sat nav

As extra you can get an atlas for lorry drivers with weight and height limits marked on its maps. I very rarely use the atlas - only at home. Be aware - you are obliged to follow signs and you are not allowed to put the sat nav in first place. By the way, I started observing long time ago that our roads are not marked at the best, especially if it comes to roundabouts.

Even the cheapo fleabay truck-navs are useable and will give you directions, often not the best directions, but you’ll generally get there.

Ideally best to check their work against maps. Or only use them for the last part of your trip. But they do work if you’re not a total slave to them.

There are real advantages to planning at least the bulk of your trip “Old school” from a truckers atlas and jotting down a list of road numbers and directions:

You learn the main road network much faster (after long enough you’ll know it well enough to not need to write down much)
You won’t send yourself up twisty slow B roads, or through the middle of Birmingham when there’s an easy way round
You get into the habit of looking at signs, which often have advance warnings of restrictions (weight/height) that you’re far more likely to miss if you’re in the habit of just listening for “in 600 yards turn left”
You’ll be able to cope when the technology breaks, at worst only asking directions or buying a street map when close to your destination, this can save you looking a complete muppet if you spill tea on the magic box

It actually doesn’t take as long as you think to do

Then again, I’m an old fogey, my car is probably older than you are, lots of the other old fogeys on here have arguably sound reasons for preferring maps…
By all means ignore them if you want, they already know the main road network well enough to make the maps method easy for them, or even redundant for major destinations. Takes much longer to learn the country that well if you rely on sat-navs to do all the planning.

my mate bought this on ebay £69 and says its good
ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-DRIVE-7-I … 3cf352d93c

The question was what is best and the cheapest. I got my eyes for free.

Some would say I got a brain too,although there are many who would question that statement.

Nobody said a map wasn’t helpful.

Cheapest one i know of currently is in a field on the a36…Thats where chester chucked it anyway…So it’s free if you can find it.

Lol. I found that incident amusing also. Ive spent £300 on a TomTom 5250,and its been really good.

However I was around Port Sunlight today and missed the Unilever entrance on the A41. The ’ round the block ’ diversion to get me back on track was pretty questionable. Problem is the roads are fine,its the double parking etc where residential meets semi industrial areas that cause issues for artics in particular.

Look for “Xgody truck sat nav” on Ebay.
Its Chinese made but £36 delivered and its been 100% for me past couple of months!!!

Big Truck:
Look for “Xgody truck sat nav” on Ebay.
Its Chinese made but £36 delivered and its been 100% for me past couple of months!!!

Probably very similar to the one trucktables fella sells.

I got one last November but since then bought myself a garmin car one which I’ve put bridge overlay on and use this now, so it’s just gathering dust. Don’t even use it as back up now since upgraded phone.

Can’t fault it though it was spot on for what I paid for, needs donating so it has a better life haha

Apoina truck nav for your phone would most likely be the cheepest. UK map works out at 28 quid maps stored on your phone

The trucktables one has been bang on for me, i have the sound switched off though and use my eyes to look at road signs etc to guide me rather than rely on the satnav, i only really look at the sat nav for the last bit of the journey

the tructables one is awesome for money. Loads of guys in our yard use them.

Im selling my snooper truckmate pro s8000 with TV , unused except for testing 1 hour in the car
failed two class c tests and need the moolar
Paid £359 sell for £325 no offers , collection only B13

pm if interested

+1 hgv trucktables sat nav. Used it every day for the last year without it sending me wrong yet, easy to change the weights and dimensions depending on what your driving as well. Can’t go wrong do £70!