Truck interior Night lights

I’ve noticed a lot more Trucks using red lights to illuminate the cab interior anyone
Gone down this route And if so where did you fit the lights , I was thinking of lighting up the sleeper Area is there any way you could buy red lenses and cover the factory fitted lights or do drivers just fit red lights inside the Cab , what would be the Best route Also many trucks running led marker lights inside the windscreen usually 3 Are these sold as a strip where Would be a Good place to Look for these strips of lights or even red lamps to fit in the Cab .

MAN cabs are factory red night lights with separate white normal lights

Sent from my truck

I know a few drivers who would put a red lens over the reading lights on the bottom bunk, personally I prefer the cab to be dark except for the factory fitted night lights, to much light and it’s hard to see out.
Do wonder how some see out at night, seems to bit of a craze in France at the moment for multi coloured flashing lights would knock you mad within 10 minutes.

If you mean light up the interior of the cab while running it’s a stupidly dangerous idea guaranteed to cause reflections against the windscreen and close the pupils of the eyes with inevitable results sooner or later.

Why not line the lens with with an old Quality st wrapper in the colour of your preferred choice :bulb:

Carryfast:
If you mean light up the interior of the cab while running it’s a stupidly dangerous idea guaranteed to cause reflections against the windscreen and close the pupils of the eyes with inevitable results sooner or later.

Zzzzzzz. No, it doesn’t mean that. Besides, the last time you drove commercially the speed limit was 40mph so I can’t see that even having your cab interior lit like Blackpool on a good night would make the slightest difference.

Unless of course it’s all a plot by them ■■■■ commies!

I doubt a quality street wrapper would be sufficient for what I’m
After

I first managed to get the red ‘night vision lights’ (for that is what they are) in 1993, in the Tremorfa steelworks, using one of their cans of paint used to mark the bundles of steel, to paint the inside of one of the roof interior lights of my Iveco red… I tried the chocolate wrapper idea, but it’s not working very well.

That’s actually brought back some good memories. Not rose tinted, I would not want to go back, but they were happy days nonetheless

the maoster:

Carryfast:

Zzzzzzz. No, it doesn’t mean that. Besides, the last time you drove commercially the speed limit was 40mph so I can’t see that even having your cab interior lit like Blackpool on a good night would make the slightest difference.

On this one occasion, I think our rezident know-it-all may have a point. The more recent popularity of lighting up the inside of the cab like Blackpool illuminations, certainly has an inverse impact on your night vision, but the use of a few red lights to light up the dash and interior, does not. Red lights are not just an advertisement means for prostitutes, they also dont affect your night vision. That’s why they are used on a ships bridge for example. The army use red torch light because it both preserves the users night vision, and it’s not very visible from a distance, and is very difficult to get a distance reading on.

Incidentally, it is of course illegal to show a red light to the front of a vehicle, so depending ding on the brightness of your lights, and the (over)zealousness of the officer, you could be attracting unwanted attention.

when sailing at night the red light helps with night vision, it makes a huge difference as long as they do not dazzle.

A dark cab is best, but red light will affect night vision less than other colours.
Bucket loads of led bulbs for sale on www. All sizes colours fittings, if you must.

Franglais:
A dark cab is best, but red light will affect night vision less than other colours.
Bucket loads of led bulbs for sale on www. All sizes colours fittings, if you must.

So these can be fitted into the factory lights in the Sleeper

chef sauce:

Franglais:

So these can be fitted into the factory lights in the Sleeper

99.99% sure you’ll find correct bulb.

Ref the strip led things for the front… check if you can have red. There’s some restrictions but its an avenue I’ve not been down. I’m just thinking some brainwave may think they’re tail lights etc etc.

My S500 has factory fitted red night lights including in the bunk area. I keep them on when kipping as its a bit of light if I wake up and stops me fumbling around for switches. Its also cosy I think and helps me on the rara occasion my teddy bear let’s me down and doesn’t soothe me.

But thats rare now I’ve stitched a fleshlight inside it :smiling_imp:

You can pick up some good LED strips with Ian ports on amazon for around £15. They will run just over the length of the cab and are split so can be placed around more easily. They also have a sticky back strip and stick to most plastic surfaces well. Just use some ordinary tape before you commit to fixing to wherever to make sure it’s not giving glare onto the windscreen beforehand.

I found putting these along the bottom of the dash work best in most motors as it lights the whole cab and doesn’t give any glare. Also around any plastic sunroof covers which also won’t give glare. If you have a DAF the circle led pads you get in most services for the air fresheners works well in the central tray under the vents. Has a good sticky but on the back so can be stuck facing down to the rubber tray and works well.

As you can tell I’ve lit up a few motors in my time :laughing:

the nodding donkey:
Not rose tinted

I see what you did there

ask yourself why pirates wear an eye patch, they havent all been stabbed in the eye by big ■■■■

Suedehead:

the nodding donkey:
Not rose tinted

I see what you did there

:sunglasses: :grimacing:

the nodding donkey:

the maoster:

Carryfast:

On this one occasion, I think our rezident know-it-all may have a point. The more recent popularity of lighting up the inside of the cab like Blackpool illuminations, certainly has an inverse impact on your night vision, but the use of a few red lights to light up the dash and interior, does not. Red lights are not just an advertisement means for prostitutes, they also dont affect your night vision. That’s why they are used on a ships bridge for example. The army use red torch light because it both preserves the users night vision, and it’s not very visible from a distance, and is very difficult to get a distance reading on.

If you look at any ship’s bridge at night it’s kept in total darkness.
Red lights are used to adjust the eyes as quickly as possible from bright artificial lights to darkness where it’s not possible to maintain an unlit environment.
Also bearing in mind the reflection of the lights against the widscreen.
I’ve seen loads of muppets driving around with lit cabs.
Maybe they are afraid of the bleedin dark.

In defense of red lights…I used to use them for the last few years I was on the road full time and the difference it made to the strain on my eyes was incredible. I was - and still am - on medication which makes it far harder for my eyes to react to changes in light levels, to the point where it can actually become painful, hence I experimented.

The big thing was the extent to which dazzle from the other side of the road was reduced, though I couldn’t tell you why. You can avoid reflections very easily by not having anything bright on yourself or the cab walls - I got rid of a patterned bedspread/blanket for that reason. I also had blue ceiling lights instead of red in one motor, and they were even better, something that surprised me. I had my red marker pen at the ready to colour the lenses from the day I was allocated the truck, but never used it.

Anyway, the point is that for some of us they really do improve things. We’re all different, after all.