Truck interior Night lights

I wouldnt have them on while you’re driving.I see a driver got reported for eating a bag of crisps this week,I have a photo but I dont know how to upload it here

Here is the photo

Lucy:
In defense of red lights…I used to use them for the last few years I was on the road full time and the difference it made to the strain on my eyes was incredible. I was - and still am - on medication which makes it far harder for my eyes to react to changes in light levels, to the point where it can actually become painful, hence I experimented.

The big thing was the extent to which dazzle from the other side of the road was reduced, though I couldn’t tell you why. You can avoid reflections very easily by not having anything bright on yourself or the cab walls - I got rid of a patterned bedspread/blanket for that reason. I also had blue ceiling lights instead of red in one motor, and they were even better, something that surprised me. I had my red marker pen at the ready to colour the lenses from the day I was allocated the truck, but never used it.

Anyway, the point is that for some of us they really do improve things. We’re all different, after all.

Yellow night driving lenses will work far better for you if headlight glare is a problem. Before I finally caved in and got some myself, I was put off by all the reviews whining about reduced visibility on unlit roads yadayada, which is obviously the last thing you want when driving on them, but while yes it is true there is some reduction (as you would expect if put a coloured lens between your eyes and what it is you’re trying to see), it is really only minimal and I’ve personally not found it to be a hindrance, can still see stuff perfectly fine. What I will say as one who spends a lot of time driving along the unlit M66, M61 and A59 in the dark and wet, is that my eyes remain relaxed when wearing the glasses and vehicles can come at me with their high beam on if they wish and doesn’t bother me at all.

One tip I can give to anyone thinking of buying some is to get the type that have wrap-around lenses like cyclists use. The ones with smaller lenses don’t block out the headlight dazzle in your mirrors from vehicles behind you and it’s constantly there in your peripheral vision annoying you.

Sploom:
Here is the photo

:unamused:
Presumably all the murder and ■■■■ cases have been solved in Lancashire then?

Exactly,the trucker was an easy target

chef sauce:
I’ve noticed a lot more Trucks using red lights to illuminate the cab interior anyone
Gone down this route And if so where did you fit the lights .

The Volvo’s I drive have them factory fitted and are fortunately dimmable.

On full bright level they wreck my head with distractions inside the cab but on half level I find on long nights that they reduce that sense of being completely removed or remote from the cab and staring into the tunnel of night if that makes any sense, so yes I like them.

My advice is start very gently and cheaply and see how you like it if they are not standard fit.

As Mazzer said already there is some mad light gear on trucks now and I wonder if the main aim is attention seeking rather than night driver comfort.

I must try out Mick’s tip on yellow lenses on some night to see what that’s like.

Hurryup&wait:
As Mazzer said already there is some mad light gear on trucks now and I wonder if the main aim is attention seeking rather than night driver comfort.

A mate of mine has just finished tarting up his cab interior with LED lights all over and some velvet curtains. I knocked on his door the other week and when he opened I asked if I could have a table for 2 and order a chicken tikka masala, pillau rice and side order of onion bhajis :smiley: . He didn’t find it as funny as I did. For those that don’t get the reference, take a walk into your town centre and have a look at the frontage on most Indian restaurants at night.

I don’t know how to post pictures but I know what you mean about some Indian trucks, pretty but deadly.

Blackout night ops seem to be standard over there, lots of interior cab embellishments but it’s their home just like many of us here as we slip further down the food chain.

But even more weird here is the recent trend of additional marker lights on cab fronts that seem to be brighter than the main beams particularly on a Scania.

Hurryup&wait:
I don’t know how to post pictures but I know what you mean about some Indian trucks, pretty but deadly.

Blackout night ops seem to be standard over there on the exterior, lots of cab embellishments but it’s their home just like many of us as we continue further down the food chain.

But even more weird here is the recent trend of additional marker lights on cab fronts that seem to give off more light than the main beams particularly on a Scania.

I think you’ve misunderstood. He is here in the UK. He’s tarted up his cab with velvet curtains and flashy lights so it looks like an Indian restaurant frontage.

Mick Bracewell:

Hurryup&wait:

Blackout night ops seem to be standard over there on the exterior, lots of cab embellishments but it’s their home just like many of us as we continue further down the food chain.

But even more weird here is the recent trend of additional marker lights on cab fronts that seem to give off more light than the main beams particularly on a Scania.

I think you’ve misunderstood. He is here in the UK. He’s tarted up his cab with velvet curtains and flashy lights so it looks like an Indian restaurant frontage.

A colleague of mine had spent a fair old whack on scania branded everything from curtain pelmets to a leather floor mat specifically with “S500” and Griffin logo aswell as all the external trimmings.

Hes going to be upset in July when they go back and we get Volvos instead. I do keep reminding him of his bellenedery but he’s not come to terms with it.

Mick Bracewell:
Yellow night driving lenses will work far better for you if headlight glare is a problem…

Hmmm, interesting. Might have to try that for the car. Thanks Mick.

Lucy:

Mick Bracewell:
Yellow night driving lenses will work far better for you if headlight glare is a problem…

Hmmm, interesting. Might have to try that for the car. Thanks Mick.

The trouble with that is you end up looking like a 1970s ■■■■ star ! :stuck_out_tongue: