Truck for sale on eBay, surely a bit too cheap?!

Afternoon all,

Spotted this on eBay, at 5750+VAT:
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … 0489358337

It’s about as light as light can be (small cab, lightweight midlift, alloy wheels, alloy fuel tank, fixed fifth wheel), so ideal for my plans of going down the bulk tipper route, but it just strikes me as being very cheap, even given the age and the 750,000km it has on the clock.

Have I missed something? Is 750kkm considered to be “used up” or would there be another couple of hundred kkm left in it? At that money you could fit tipping gear and still have over 2 grand left to spend on any repairs/tyres it needs before you hit my nominal 10k budget.

The only possible negatives I can see other than the mileage are that it has the pet regs kit on it (which could probably be mostly removed, we already did that in an earlier thread) and the colour doesn’t massively appeal to me (which I can ignore until I can afford to get it painted).

Paul

It looks like one of Suckling Transport’s motors. If it is 2002 then the mileage is not excessive, less than 140k average on general haulage. It wouldn’t worry me about the pet regs and at least you don’t have to buy a pto if you want to pull a tipper.

You should also look at the fact that it will have done 50% of its kilometres empty

Hi Paul, that looks to be quite reasonable for your needs, and I’d agree with Malc’s points above.

Being the Philistine that I am ( :blush: ,) the colour wouldn’t bother me one little bit, but it might depend on who you put it to work for if they have a company policy on colour.

At least the curtains aren’t the frilly variety and they seem to match the interior, so the job looks to be a good 'un. :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
at least you don’t have to buy a pto if you want to pull a tipper.

I was wondering that, is the PTO pump going to be the same as you would use for single line tipping gear? If so, then that’ll surely save a fair few quid of the about 2k it costs to fit tipping gear as it’s a major component that you won’t need. That said I will want an (ideally alloy) side mounted oil tank (so I can still pull curtainsiders) which will bump the price up a bit and also given a lot of my work would be out in the sticks and I’ve nowhere to put a bulk tank of my own I’ll want to combine the oil tank with a fairly sizeable derv tank (could do with at least 500 litres) which will again cost more…

Wheel Nut:
You should also look at the fact that it will have done 50% of its kilometres empty

Hadn’t thought of that, it’s a very good point. Of course the other 50% will have been maxed out though which balances it out a bit.

dieseldave:
the colour wouldn’t bother me one little bit, but it might depend on who you put it to work for if they have a company policy on colour.

Doesn’t really bother me either I suppose, certainly not enough to make a difference to what truck I buy.

Paul

too cheap? you will get that for a straight 6k mate, no problem, obviously i havent factored in the vat but i,m sure they would be good for another 500 quid off the advertised price, they will have give cherrybobs for it

repton:

Wheel Nut:
at least you don’t have to buy a pto if you want to pull a tipper.

I was wondering that, is the PTO pump going to be the same as you would use for single line tipping gear? If so, then that’ll surely save a fair few quid of the about 2k it costs to fit tipping gear as it’s a major component that you won’t need. That said I will want an (ideally alloy) side mounted oil tank (so I can still pull curtainsiders) which will bump the price up a bit and also given a lot of my work would be out in the sticks and I’ve nowhere to put a bulk tank of my own I’ll want to combine the oil tank with a fairly sizeable derv tank (could do with at least 500 litres) which will again cost more…

Wheel Nut:

Hadn’t thought of that, it’s a very good point. Of course the other 50% will have been maxed out though which balances it out a bit.

dieseldave:
the colour wouldn’t bother me one little bit, but it might depend on who you put it to work for if they have a company policy on colour.

Doesn’t really bother me either I suppose, certainly not enough to make a difference to what truck I buy.

Paul

A tanker setup would normally have a PTO driven motor to drive the cargo pump & compressor, this unit will probably still have the hydrapak fitted. I think you will need to exchange the hydraulic motor for a hydraulic pump but the PTO should still be of use to you if you also fit an oil tank. Normally the tanker setup that I am familiar with uses an inlet and return 2 line system.

Give David Taylor a call, the lad in his workshop has wet dreams about tipping and tanker hydraulics :stuck_out_tongue:

A bit underpowered for full-weight work in some parts of the country?

Fine for Lincs/Cambs etc, perhaps not so good for the Peaks or Highlands? Looks tidy enough though.

hammer:
A bit underpowered for full-weight work in some parts of the country?

I’ve been driving an 04 plate CF430 on bulk work for most of the summer and while it’s no rocket, it manages to hold its own. It’s not that long ago that anything over 400hp was considered big after all…

Paul

Can you not just mount the oil-tank up behind the cab as it should still leave enough room for pulling a taut :question:
That would leave you room on the chassis for a good size diesel tank. :wink:
I don’t think the “wet pak” on a pet regs unit would be able to tip a bulker. :frowning:

Big Truck:
Can you not just mount the oil-tank up behind the cab as it should still leave enough room for pulling a taut :question:
That would leave you room on the chassis for a good size diesel tank. :wink:

You can get some very slim ally ones to go up behind the cab which allow you to get a 45 footer close enough to still fit within the maximum length regulations, that is certainly an option to save on chassis space but I think you’re still better off having them down on the chassis really as you can get the trailer nice up and close to save on fuel. Having the small middle axle does give you a decent amount of chassis space so it shouldn’t really be an issue either way. If you look on the photos of that unit once the red compressor thing and the existing diesel tank are removed there should easily be space for a combined hydraulic oil tank and at least 500 litres of derv.

Paul

I would have said it’s about the right price. I got a couple of 56 plate 4x2 man tga, diddy cabs with 350 thousand clicks on for £11k a piece earlier in the year which I thought was cheap. Unless trucks are desirable,it’s difficult to charge a premium for a basic spec. fleet motor but i’m sure that truck would fulfil your needs, give her a polish and paint the wheels and it’d look quite tidy. You don’t get paid a higher rate for a fancy dan motor! :smiley:

this one is even cheaper :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … K:MEWAX:IT

not quite as light as the DAF, but will still do you a job

this ones even cheaper spanky :stuck_out_tongue:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ERF-6x2-Tractor-U … 4ceb762800

Buying a motor to put on bulk :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , I’m usually on bulk but but for only 4 weeks for harvest I’ve been on tilts , bulk is on its arse nothings moving , I was back early today and their was 9 bulkers standing with the units on other work and we run 17 bulkers , If your looking for a trailor was told my boss is selling mine :exclamation:

gogzy:

for the extra £700, i would much rather have the truck that is 5 years younger and in better condition :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

gogzy:

for the extra £700, i would much rather have the truck that is 5 years younger and in better condition :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I can buy something exactly the same as that from any hardware shop for A LOT less money, it’s called a nail :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:
this one is even cheaper :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … K:MEWAX:IT

not quite as light as the DAF, but will still do you a job

False economy though IMO. With the normal lift axle, lack of alloy wheels and the bigger cab that is going to be getting on for a ton heavier than the DAF, and in very rough terms on bulk work every ton is worth 4 grand a year in extra turnover. So (all else being equal) it would take less than a year for the extra money for the DAF to be paid back.

As for bulk work being on its arse at the moment, it is round here too. My plan would be to be on bulk work pretty much full time from about May to September, then probably traction only on spuds for October and a bit into November, and then a mixture of bulk, spuds and whatever else I can find through the winter.

Paul

there was a erf on there last time i looked , same shape as man tga

6x2 small cab had pto gear on it think it had been used as car transporter will try dig out the link as wasnt bad price and tidy looking motor from what i remember .

EDIT MY MISTAKE JUST FOUND IT AND WAS 4X2 :blush: still looks good value for money imo but not realy much use on bulk work if your after max payload

walkermovements.co.uk/tractor_6x2.asp few cheap ones on here :smiley:

walkermovements.co.uk/spec_s … nitID=3951

And straight to work with this one :stuck_out_tongue: tipper pump, tank and light space cab too :wink: