Truck fire today

Heard about this earlier today…bet the drivers undies changed colour.
It’s a screen capture from a news channel.

I’m trying to decide if my first reaction would have been run like hell or drop the trailer… obviously we don’t know how long he had!

th2013:
I’m trying to decide if my first reaction would have been run like hell or drop the trailer… obviously we don’t know how long he had!

I thought that, but came to the conclusion that I wouldn’t want to get back into a burning cab after pulling the pin! :open_mouth:

A ken a few tanker boys doon the Grangemooth 20. Will have too find oot aboot this truck drivers nightmare. Hope he/she is ok.
Looks very close.

Scary biscuits! Hope all involved are ok. Dread to think how it could have ended if it happened later in the day.

rocketsquadron:
A ken a few tanker boys doon the Grangemooth 20. Will have too find oot aboot this truck drivers nightmare. Hope he/she is ok.
Looks very close.

Why am I getting the image of Russ Abbot with a ginger wig in my mind after reading this?

We had a driver on Iceland who had a trailer brake fire on the M20. He dropped the trailer, it was only an L reg FL10, no drivers spoke to him after that :laughing: The firm gave him a £25 gift card to spend in store :open_mouth: Probably the scrap value of the Wendy house :sunglasses:

Id be running for the hills! Respect to the fire brigade.

I’m impressed, not a single “Agency driver” comment as yet… (A red rag to a bull i’m sure)

Hopefully he / she is ok.

We were told by our ADR bloke in that scenario to run like hell…

Of course only after phoning the fire brigade, laying out drain covers, getting the trem cards from the cab for the fire brigade to look at, setting up a cordon, directing the traffic and inserting the wheel chocks… :wink:

I know this is a slight tangent, but was musing that American trucks seem to have the pin release in the cab, and that would be a definite advantage in you are on fire…

Muckaway:

rocketsquadron:
Looks very close.

Why am I getting the image of Russ Abbot with a ginger wig in my mind after reading this?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: hahaha. Like it.

Ach aye see you Jimmy.

The reply from the driver friend was that they personally got rid off all MAN trucks as the turbos overheat and set the lot up in smoke. Squeaky bum time.

I bet it was an agency driver :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

alder:

Using his All Ride kettle.

Muckaway:

rocketsquadron:
Looks very close.

So am I now you mentioned it !

th2013:

Talking to a driver I know about when his truck caught light, he said it didn’t take long from him stopping because he noticed it was smoking to the whole lot going up , luckily he was only carrying concrete slabs. Personally if it was me I be out of the way so fast you’d hear a sonic boom. :laughing:

alder:

Probably was, very few drivers are employed by BP directly I think. Apparently it’s company policy (BP/Monarch) not to carry personal mobiles on your person during your shift so if the cab phone was inop or didn’t have time in an emergency how would you get in touch with the emergency services…?

Pimpdaddy:

alder:

Probably was, very few drivers are employed by BP directly I think. Apparently it’s company policy (BP/Monarch) not to carry personal mobiles on your person during your shift so if the cab phone was inop or didn’t have time in an emergency how would you get in touch with the emergency services…?

I’d imagine a hard wired hands free with just a green and red button. Boots had them on the dash so if it rang you pressed green and if you needed the office you pressed green twice and it would ring through the cab speakers.

And if they fail watch it burn :laughing: