Truck & Driver magazine

To all having trouble getting this month’s T&D please email the editor: dave.young@rbi.co.uk with details and he sort it. If we know which distributor is screwing up we can sort it.

To Jessica’s dad. We always talk to driver firstwhen we do fleet forum, NOT to the bosses.
T&D isn’t the same each month, if it was our readers might notice…

To everyone else, thanks for the kind comments on out sponsorship of trucknet.

Well my complaint is the price of all magazines.

Im on holiday so i have been tidying my flat, car and contents of my truck.

I have probably just skipped over £500 worth of truck and bike magazines

Ahhh…but you get what you pay for, Malc. :wink:

We have a friend in the US who edits one of their equivalants of T&D. It’s in a Reader’s Digest-type format and is given away free ( :open_mouth: ) in Truckstops etc…but is made up of at least 80% advertising. :cry:

The actual articles (not the ads) can be found online at:-
www.TruckersConnection.com
Click on the tab for “This Month’s Issue” and compare…yes, that really is all of it, pictures and all! :open_mouth:

As a point of interest, the Home Front column in the mag is written by our very own Kathy Harders, co-Mod on the Family Forum and longtime friend and supporter of both Rikki and more recently myself.
She also runs the excellent Loved Ones And Driver Support website - www.LOADS.org - which is a must for all partners and families of truck drivers…point yours there ASAP!!! :wink:

TK Dave:
To Jessica’s dad. We always talk to driver firstwhen we do fleet forum, NOT to the bosses.

that my first bollocking im sure il get more.

im not bothered its just my opinion.

thats okay as it is a free and demorcratic right to say your mind,even
ifyou are mislead,but if you have any sugestions on the way you think that the magizine may be improved,then write and let them know as
then when the writers hear not just congratulations on a good job ,
but also negative reports about the mag then questions will be asked
as to why ,what can we do better, or what can we introduce new into the mag,they require imput before answers can be given

What time are you booked in for Lucy?

Dont forget your Hiviz and ear plugs :stuck_out_tongue:

brit pete:
thats okay as it is a free and demorcratic right to say your mind,even
ifyou are mislead,but if you have any sugestions on the way you think that the magizine may be improved,then write and let them know as
then when the writers hear not just congratulations on a good job ,
but also negative reports about the mag then questions will be asked
as to why ,what can we do better, or what can we introduce new into the mag,they require imput before answers can be given

I got the impression they weren’t interested in constructive criticism from the tone of their post in this thread.

To pickup on a few of the points raised in this thread:
Brit Pete is spot on, any criticism of T&D, positive or negative ( as long as not abusive), is welcome.
I can’t see how the tone of my post discourages this as I invited emails from members having trouble getting the mag in order to help them. If I’m in the office I’ll also chat to anyone who cares to ring - you guys pay my wages.
The point about Fleet Forum still applies - we consult drivers first - although I accept that talking to just a few can’t always be a representative sample.
As to the price of magazines, I think T&D is pretty reasonable, most other mags - be they bike, car, footy, music, fishing or ‘jazz’ - cost more than three quid and we’re way below that. As Lucy points out, and this applies to many things drivers buy, there’s an element of getting what you pay for. US trucking mags not only lack freedom of expression but are badly presented and printed on toilet paper. We try to produce a product worthy of professional drivers.

TK Dave

Take on board my idea for semi-naked women though.
I know what you’re gonna say - T&D is a family mag, but remember who it’s primarily directed at.
Also, how about having extracts from the forums in it?
A few computer mags I buy do that, and it can make for a smile or two (especially if it involves some sort of ■■■■-up!) :wink: :wink:

TK Dave:
To pickup on a few of the points raised in this thread:
Brit Pete is spot on, any criticism of T&D, positive or negative ( as long as not abusive), is welcome.
I can’t see how the tone of my post discourages this as I invited emails from members having trouble getting the mag in order to help them. If I’m in the office I’ll also chat to anyone who cares to ring - you guys pay my wages.
The point about Fleet Forum still applies - we consult drivers first - although I accept that talking to just a few can’t always be a representative sample.
As to the price of magazines, I think T&D is pretty reasonable, most other mags - be they bike, car, footy, music, fishing or ‘jazz’ - cost more than three quid and we’re way below that. As Lucy points out, and this applies to many things drivers buy, there’s an element of getting what you pay for. US trucking mags not only lack freedom of expression but are badly presented and printed on toilet paper. We try to produce a product worthy of professional drivers.

well dave fair play to you its just when i was at longs moral was at a very low and suddenly this artical came out about how great it was which was a joke and from what i can understand its just got worse.
longs has a lot of favoritism in fact its really bad for it so that why there is a high turnover for people under 3 years.
longs work closly with bedfords and when their turn came once again they couldn belive what was written as well.
i dont know about other firms but you never seem to see firms which get 1 star cos the management are gits or the workshop is useless or they are just plain tight wads.
also in the magazine i would like to see it when the journos give bosses a right good grilling about certain issues like why they wont pay parking but are quite happy to have their tanks drained on a nightly basis ( sorry longs again ) due to drivers parking in laybys on the A1.
why they take on polish drivers ( sorry for that one again ) and what checks they do. instead it just seems it gives bosses a chance to blow their own trumpet.
i do like picture post and long distance driving.

as for the price well all magazines are to expensive thats why i wont buy them £3.00 for a read that will last 1 hour is ridoulous.

and finally for the record i used to subscribe to t&d ( plus trucking international ) every year for over 10 years in fact more like 15.

TO those who say it is expensive,sorry that is a joke ,why, by reading not just
T&D BUT ALL the magazines and here i willsay that i buy also all the german mags,as wellas those from GB,because they will tell me about
new laws that have come into force be it in GB;D or any where else that we might have to go with a truck, with this knowledge the money i give for the mag,s is wellspent as it saves me learning firsthand from the enforcement agenceys who will also wish to be financialy reimbursed
for the offence,i have been caught out on,due to my not knowing about the latest law.

brit pete:
TO those who say it is expensive,sorry that is a joke ,why, by reading not just
T&D BUT ALL the magazines and here i willsay that i buy also all the german mags,as wellas those from GB,because they will tell me about
new laws that have come into force be it in GB;D or any where else that we might have to go with a truck, with this knowledge the money i give for the mag,s is wellspent as it saves me learning firsthand from the enforcement agenceys who will also wish to be financialy reimbursed
for the offence,i have been caught out on,due to my not knowing about the latest law.

are you after a free subsrciption.

TK Dave:
If I’m in the office I’ll also chat to anyone who cares to ring.

I can vouch for this, having phoned T&D and spoke to Dave personally, who then proceeded to give me just the help I was looking for (OTC medicines info - Road Safety project at work).

I can also vouch for Jess’s Dad when he says that Longs of Leeds are crap!! I did one day there (agency) although I was supposed to be there all week, and in that small space of time they (Longs) managed to be the worst company I have ever worked for in 21 years of my working life!!

To TK Dave and his team I would say, you can’t please all of the people all of the time but you’re doing a real good job of pleasing most of the people most of the time. Good mag; keep it up!!

:wink:

no thank you, but where else are you going to get upto date information written so that you understand what it means, and also give you tips submitted by other drivers which can be the saveing of your day when you have the same problem later on, no sorry the only way to improve one,s
self is to grab any information that is avalible read it if it comes from a book or magazine,newspaper,and if your lucky enough to be in the company of drivers who start to talk about the trips and the highlights and the pitfalls that they have encounted, and here by drivers i do mean from all countrys from A–to --Z. .I will read any thing that will make my job easyer to do. and also because i do honestly like what is written.

AND AGAIN NO I AM NOT AFTER A FREEBIE;;

I agree with Jessicas dad on this one , fleet focus should be used by drivers as a guide if they were thinking of working for that company but I think it is a bit too sugar coated to be of any real use, maybe Truck and Driver cant put what they hear from some drivers for fear of the sue me culture that has developed. :unamused:
I prefer Trucking as this has a bit more interest for real drivers on a day to day basis , you and the law section for example, also I dont like the fact again like Jessicas dad says that you can read T&D in a 45 min break cover to cover and find little to want to read a second time.
But saying that everyone is different and each to their own , I gave up buying it but alot of people still do so they are doing something right , and it is good news that they want to continue supporting this website.

Im glad Truck & Driver are sponsering Trucknetuk again, think its a great magazine, get there magazine every month without fail, still got copys from when i was only a baby, obviously they wasnt mine then though :smiley:

Keep up the good work T&D :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :slight_smile:

TK Dave can correct me if I’m wrong, but I suspect that T&D get in contact with the drivers via the employers, so the bosses can select the drivers who are most likely to give a good review.

Coffeeholic:
I’m reading mine at the moment, well with one eye the other is reading TruckNet. With the other I’m playing poker, multi tasking or what? :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

1 eye reading the mag
1 eye on Trucknet
& 1 eye playing poker

Round my way they would call you clever ■■■■ :wink:

As for T & D’s continued support I think we are all in agreement in thanking them for their continued support.

I myself get on subscription every month & personally I find it a great read,I also think Dave is the best editor in the industry.

p.s I only live in Wallington so if there are ever any freebies left lying around in the office it would no trouble for me to get rid of 'em for ya :wink:

north surrey haulage:
I also think Dave is the best editor in the industry.

One minuate he’s a normal bloke - next he’s a moderator - now he’s a creep!

What next?? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ianyng:
One minuate he’s a normal bloke

I’ve been called a lot of things but normal was never one of them

ianyng:

• next he’s a moderator

As much a shock to me as it is to you lot :open_mouth:

ianyng:
’ - now he’s a creep!

Anything to try & get somthing for Nothing :wink:

ianyng:
What next?? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: