Truck driver injured by exploding gas cooker

As headline says . Don’t know how to add the link but Kent online are reporting that a gas stove has blown up in drivers face whilst camped out in ashford

kentonline.co.uk/ashford/new … ker-41036/

I use a gas stove in the cab but things like this do worry me. Time to start looking at 12 or 24 volt microwaves me thinks.

Probably just a case of lighting his gas stove without letting the gas settle after being rolled around the cab all day.

More likely a leak resulting in an accumulation of gas in the cab, I would have thought.

Never had a problem myself but then again I make sure the cab is well aired prior to lighting the gas. Surely that cannot be too hard can it :open_mouth:

The article say the gas cooker exploded in the drivers face but surely you’d be lucky to escape more serious injury than minor burns if that happened, I’m guessing the driver left the cooker on too long before igniting it and there was a flash flame, either that or as Roymondo said a leak in the appliance.

Turn gas on, strike match. Match breaks so fumble for another. Strike that and… :blush:

The problem I have is absolutely no sense of smell so if something like gas is leaking I have no idea.
Come to think of it we’ve got a 700 watt house microwave that will become redundant soon as we have a new one for the new house we will be moving into in a couple of months. I wonder if a large inverter would power it…

Santa:
Turn gas on, strike match. Match breaks so fumble for another. Strike that and… :blush:

The amount of gas escaping in that situation will be nowhere near enough to explode - although it may well be enough to singe the hair on your hands/arms (and eyebrows, if your face is close enough).

A lot of people don’t appreciate that LPG is denser than air, so any leakage will pool in the footwells. Opening a window might not purge this gas (especially if there is little or no breeze).

nomiS36:
The problem I have is absolutely no sense of smell so if something like gas is leaking I have no idea.
Come to think of it we’ve got a 700 watt house microwave that will become redundant soon as we have a new one for the new house we will be moving into in a couple of months. I wonder if a large inverter would power it…

minimum 1500w inverter would do it

Them cheap one are leathal . A leaking one overnite can leave you with what appears to have been a stroke or worse wake up dead. If your goin to have one don’t be a cheap skate at least get one with a remote bottle with a proper regulator and stopcock and isolate it after use

I had one of the canister type where the top pushes up against an ‘O’ ring when the lever is depressed but it was split so after about 5 mins when I went to strike it up the gas had leaked and settled in the footwells, lots of yellow flame for a few seconds but no injury due to wearing jeans, heart rate increased to dangerous levels but more annoyed as unable to get a replacement for two days and my electric kettle had gone kaput the same day so no hot food or drink !!

I have a one and have had no problems at all take cannister out at night so not sitting in stove then put back in the morning then out again after kettle until evening for cooking tea. Also it is stored in a hard plastic box with snap lid not the case it come with . Surely this isnthard lol .

1500 watt inverter with a slow cooker job done

anders66:
I have a one and have had no problems at all take cannister out at night so not sitting in stove then put back in the morning then out again after kettle until evening for cooking tea. Also it is stored in a hard plastic box with snap lid not the case it come with . Surely this isnthard lol .

^^ This. Whenever I release the canister, I always pull it all the way out.

BUT, Moral of the story, no matter which type you’re using, go for your morning pee first, or at least open the door, any trapped gas will escape then - it’s very quick at leaving - preferably both doors, but we all know how lazy drivers are, so just the drivers one will keep you safe

If hot food was provided and canteens weren’t reserved for non drivers .wouldn’t happen .thanks unitee

mercury:
If hot food was provided and canteens weren’t reserved for non drivers .wouldn’t happen .thanks unitee

Don’t see many laybys with canteens mate; not after 2pm anyway!

Sidevalve:

mercury:

I don’t think it means layby tea vans, but works canteens, but the other problem is it would also mean companies allowing drivers to park on their premises overnight.

muckles:

Sidevalve:

mercury:

I don’t think it means layby tea vans, but works canteens, but the other problem is it would also mean companies allowing drivers to park on their premises overnight.

Personally I prefer to park away from factory premises; more chance of getting a decent night’s sleep!

Point I was making, of course, is that for most of us it’s simply not practicable to avoid brewing up in the cab. Provided that one is careful it’s not an issue.