Treading Carefully

Argument in the yard today…

Had a tyre on a trailer that looked a bit on the limit. Got my guage out and it was 1mm. I refused to take it as if the limit is 1mm surely its time to change it. one good screw round or even the 90 degree turn to get out of the yard would be enough to give me grief. How many K’s do you get for 1mm.

I wasnt popular but i did get a different trailer.

Personally i wouldnt take it your the 1 who needs to answer to vosa if they get fussy … oh wait thats all the time lol

a few firms round here change them at 3mm

Take it to the wire baby!!! Thats what our euro freinds do! :wink: :wink:

Do we know what Vosa’s view is?

Alan…:
Do we know what Vosa’s view is?

Normally magnified 8 times through binoculars isn’t it? :smiley:
You did the right thing mate. The points go on your licence, no one elses.

Clarky:
Take it to the wire baby!!! Thats what our euro freinds do! :wink: :wink:

Or at least to the canvas! Used to pull trailers out of Harwich for Dan Transport and on freezing cold mornings didn’t always give the trailer the full monty after bulbing and lensing with freezing hands. No, that is not an excuse I know.
Anyway did this trailer change out of Immingham and was on the Leeds ring road at 7am when the clutch went on the Merc 1834, it wasn’t the clutch, just wouldn’t go or stay in gear on that push me pull me G/box. Coasted across a set of lights and local ‘ole bill’ was at the head of the queue, saw I was in the manure and coned me off while waiting for the wrecker. He was a good geezer, stood there chatting, made him a cuppa while Sally Traffic, no Lyn Bowles at that time of the morning announced my presence on the ring road, getting toots, cheers, thumbs ups along with the single digits and the scowls, chest puffed out with pride for my couple of hours of fame.
Just happened to notice that 2 of the 3 super singles on the nearside were showing canvas! Didn’t dare go near the offside in case they were worse. [zb] bricks every time he came round to check up on me. If I’d a been him I’d a got suspicious why this driver was doing his best to keep him away from the back end of the trailer, cost me a load in gas and tea but at least he supplied the fresh milk.
This was 13/14 years ago, always wondered even then what the legal requirements were over the water?
‘Crazytrucker’

Use to pull “Ferry trailers” out of Rotterdam.
When we brought them back to ship to the UK, we would pull them back into the depot to change wheels.
The company got wise after sending 18 new trailers to the UK which came back 4 days later with “slicks”
They put in our depot after that case some just legal :stuck_out_tongue: tyres on (legal to keep air in them maybe) how they ever got away with it God knows.

But your decision not to drive with a tyre on the limit is only respectable, but this is what the laws says about it:

The grooves must have a depth of at least 1mm around the whole circumference and across three-quarters of the breadth of the tread.

If the original tread pattern was only across three-quarters of the tread, all grooves must be at least 1mm deep.

so if your tyre is not complying with these rules your are in your full right not to drive the vehicle.

Never take a chance on a tyre , 3 points is too risky. Its your licence noy some ■■■■■■ in a office.

If the tyres are dodgy then get em changed.
lad ot our place is in Hire van ( more economical for east coast), got pulled (not sure if plod or Vosa) and got 3 points for 1 tyre and prohibition for another, Both tyres have at least 2 mm, our firm is fighting the prohibition but not for the drivers 3 points :imp: .

MADBAZ:
lad ot our place is in Hire van ( more economical for east coast), got pulled (not sure if plod or Vosa) and got 3 points for 1 tyre and prohibition for another, Both tyres have at least 2 mm, our firm is fighting the prohibition but not for the drivers 3 points :imp: .

A van is not a HGV, different law, needs to have a minimum of 2mm all round, 2mm is the absolute legal minimum on cars and vans.
Also recut (regroove) is not allowed on Vans or cars.
if your tyres are 2 mm you have a hard job to prove they are not 1.9 mm on some points

caledoniandream:

MADBAZ:

A van is not a HGV, different law, needs to have a minimum of 2mm all round, 2mm is the absolute legal minimum on cars and vans.
if your tyres are 2 mm you have a hard job to prove they are not 1.9 mm on some points

Isn’t it 1.6mm? Did they change the rules recently?

Says a lot about the state of our industry really this topic, why do companies insist on runnig tyres to the legal limit or below, its your licence not theirs. Our mob like em right down but fortunately nobody is in the office until 8am so its off with the abs down onto the estate and oh dear tyres flat spotted boss.

Totally false economy running them down to the minimum (down to the wire in fact)

A reasonable method would be to buy a new tyre, cut it, top cap it, cut it and then remould it. but tyres are scrap if the carcass or steel bands are damaged or rusty.

Most tyre cases have at least three lives providing that you look after them and don’t run them too low or up kerbs.

caledoniandream:
but this is what the laws says about it:

The grooves must have a depth of at least 1mm around the whole circumference and across three-quarters of the breadth of the tread.

If the original tread pattern was only across three-quarters of the tread, all grooves must be at least 1mm deep.

so if your tyre is not complying with these rules your are in your full right not to drive the vehicle.

So If its legal in the yard… How long does that mm last with fair usage? woulkd you expect it to still be legal after 600kms?

Alan…:

caledoniandream:
but this is what the laws says about it:

So If its legal in the yard… How long does that mm last with fair usage? woulkd you expect it to still be legal after 600kms?

375 miles on a motorway would probably be OK, but as it is my or your licence and points make prizes I doubt the wisdom of setting off with it without nipping into ATS or somewhere similar

In the UK the minimum tread depth is 1mm for trucks and motorcycles, and 1.6mm for cars.

The legal minimum tread depth for cars and light trailers (including caravans) up to 3500 kgs gross vehicle weight and/or 8 seated passenger vehicles including driver is:

A minimum of 1.6mm in a continuous band throughout the central three-quarters of the tread width, throughout the whole of the circumference

Recut tyres are only permitted on vehicles weighing more than 2540kg and with tyres of at least 16’’

There are moves to increase the minimum tread depth to 3mm on cars after tests were carried out by MIRA

conti-online.com/generator/w … mm_en.html

1mm is too close for comfort best getting it changed at 2mm to be safe, whos to say a picky vosa officer wouldn’t find a patch say 0.9mm then you’re ■■■■■■, screw round a few tight yards you could easily get a bald patch.

It would be interesting to know how many average miles a millimetre lasts to find out how much money companies would lose if they changed them at 2mm instead of 1mm?

If you have a trailer tyre at 1mm then I can assure you if you do a good examination there will be a flat spot somewhere. Seems to be there always is a flat spot on it somewhere when they get that low. My mob changes on 3mm, but that’s only if the ■■■■■■ drivers pulling the trailer before me do their job properly and check them. I’m sick fed up of going to pick up a trailer with a dodgy tyre and it’s always the same attitude in the office “OK, go tip it then head over to ATS” … Eh, how’s about NAW

it really is a pet hate of mine. 3 more tyres this week I have had to moan about.

zippy!:

caledoniandream:

MADBAZ:

Isn’t it 1.6mm? Did they change the rules recently?

yeah 1.6mm