Travelling p+o calais dover

right guys who came back friday and was asked for their cmr when booking in? I was asked friday for my cmr and asked the frog bloke why he wanted it and he said thats what they are doing now,well i will find out when i get back off holiday whether or not they ask for it over here when i book in.

They have the right to know hat you are carrying and
to check that the load is the one shown on the CMR
to help catch those who try to get across with out
declaring IMDG/ADR/HAZ GOODS;:;

when i was doing euro work, they asked for them every trip. in and out.

limeyphil:

Must admit, they never asked for them much at the check in booths when i was doing Euro regularly.

Its in ALL our interests that they know what they are shipping. I personally have absolutely no problem with it! Why do drivers put their hazardous stickers on trailer when queueing for boat rather than when they pick up load? If they were involved in an accident enroute rescuers would be clueless! Sigh…

Suedehead:

limeyphil:

Same as that. Their a legal requirement for int journeys arent they ?

The days of Textiel or Masheen are long gone :laughing:

ossie:
Its in ALL our interests that they know what they are shipping. I personally have absolutely no problem with it! Why do drivers put their hazardous stickers on trailer when queueing for boat rather than when they pick up load? If they were involved in an accident enroute rescuers would be clueless! Sigh…

Some loads are only dangerous or classified under Maritime law Ossie, a load under IMDG does not necessarily come under ADR

Diesel Dave is around somewhere. I can hear his dulcet tones and a better explanation :wink:

wheelnut are some goods only hazardous by sea ? vaguely remember something like this and thought thats why someone may only putting stickers on at boat.

all right the telepathy has worked :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

ossie:

Some loads are only dangerous or classified under Maritime law Ossie, a load under IMDG does not necessarily come under ADR

Diesel Dave is around somewhere. I can hear his dulcet tones and a better explanation :wink:

Cheeky ■■■■ :laughing:
The drivers :confused: -usually the flip flop sock wearing variety, put the haz markers on in the lanes because when they have a shower on the ferry,the waste water is classed as a “marine pollutant”
:laughing:

Wheel Nut:

ossie:

I can hear his dulcet tones and a fuller explanation :wink: :slight_smile:

Some goods are only classified as dangerous under IMDG. They aren’t classified as dangerous under ADR.
Also, those large Hazard Labels (usually diamonds) are only required under IMDG rules mainly, road tankers usually have them on their boards, its rare that they are required for ADR otherwise.
Unless you are very thorough in sticking them on, they’ll rip off in the wind too. But once they’re well attached they’re a bugger to get off and leave a real mess behind.

brit pete:

Pete in 15yrs of doing euro its the first time that ive been asked i understand that they have the right but lets have some consistiency eh!! :confused: :confused:

kerwyn:

brit pete:

Pete in 15yrs of doing euro its the first time that ive been asked i understand that they have the right but lets have some consistiency eh!! :confused: :confused:

But everyone must have hidden that one dodgy CMR amongst the bedding when you have loaded Groupage :wink:

A French booking clerk may speak English but can he speak Latvian, Polish and Hungarian too? it is easier to ask for the CMR, it gives weights, details of load, and 6 pallets going to Ardeer may have raised Gallic eyebrows :open_mouth:

Hi Chaps, Sorry but I’ve only just spotted this one… :blush:
(My early warning system (ROG) needs adjustment… does anybody wear a size 12■■ :laughing: ) :grimacing:

It’s time to deal with a few myths… :smiley: (No names will be mentioned. :wink: )

ADR is all about orange plates and carrying dangerous goods by ROAD.
Once the relevant ADR Transport Category ‘freeby’ limit for the dangerous goods is exceeded, orange plates are used no matter whether the vehicle is a tanker or is carrying the dangerous goods in packages.

If a vehicle is carrying dangerous goods IN PACKAGES, (BY ROAD) and the relevant ADR Transport Category ‘freeby’ limit is exceeded, the vehicle must display a PLAIN ORANGE PLATE at the front AND at the rear. ‘Plain’ means that there are NO numbers on the plate. That’s it, it’s that simple. In this circumstance, UN Class placards are ONLY required if the vehicle is carrying Explosives OR Radioactives.

If a vehicle is carrying an ISO container containing dangerous goods IN PACKAGES, (BY ROAD) the above applies, but additionally, THE ISO CONTAINER requires a UN Class placard to be displayed on all four sides.

If a road tanker is carrying dangerous goods (BY ROAD,) the plain orange plates are replaced with orange ADR tanker plates that have numbers on them. An orange ADR tanker plate is divided into two halves. The top half contains a Hazard Identification Number (HIN,) which is loosely based on the numbering system for the UN Classes. The lower half contains the relevant four-digit UN number for the particular dangerous substance being carried. Additionally, the tanker must display the relevant UN Class placard(s) [diamond-shaped] on both sides and the rear (making a total of three placards) for the particular dangerous substance being carried.

UK type tanker markings are NOT VALID AND COMPLETELY ILLEGAL [even in the UK] when the vehicle [even a UK registered tanker vehicle] is engaged on an international journey.

Now for the dangerous goods by sea (IMDG) part… :grimacing:

:bulb: Let’s remember that we are now discussing the dangerous goods regulations that apply BY SEA. (IMDG.) :wink:
A road vehicle that is carrying dangerous goods and which is itself a piece of freight to be conveyed by ferry will need to be marked under IMDG. The IMDG markings for a road vehicle carrying dangerous goods IN PACKAGES are a UN Class placard to be displayed on both sides and the rear, making a total of three placards. If the vehicle needs plain orange plates (under ADR,) these are NOT recognised by IMDG, but may be left in position for the sea journey. My advice to drivers driving normal road vehicles (not carrying an ISO container) is to apply the IMDG markings just prior to embarkation on the ferry and to remove them again as soon as possible after disembarkation simply because they tend to attract the attention of law enforcement officials who can usually be relied upon to provide delays to your journey. :wink: :grimacing:

An unaccompanied trailer carrying dangerous goods in packages which is to be shipped by ferry as a piece of sea-freight will need to display the relevant UN Class placard(s) for the dangerous substance(s) on all four sides. Leaving the plain orange ADR plate on the rear is optional when an unaccompanied trailer is shipped by sea.

A road tanker (or ISO tank container) being conveyed by ferry (under IMDG) will already be marked as above under ADR, but additionally for IMDG, the following will be needed: The UN Number and proper shipping name for the substance being carried must ALSO be displayed on both (long) sides.

BTW, a shipping line has a right to inspect a cargo, so I’d advise drivers to tread carefully when dealing with ferry booking-clerks. There is an overriding duty of safety on the shipping lines under another set of sea Regs called SOLAS (The Safety Of Lives At Sea,) those folks have also have a job to do and since your own life is at risk at sea, I can’t see how/why anybody would object to producing a CMR to a booking clerk. :unamused: :wink:

I hope that helps. :smiley:

I came through Calais via P&O on friday and wasn’t asked for CMR, although I have been in the past.

kerwyn:
right guys who came back friday and was asked for their cmr when booking in? I was asked friday for my cmr and asked the frog bloke why he wanted it and he said thats what they are doing now,well i will find out when i get back off holiday whether or not they ask for it over here when i book in.

i always like a nice conspiracy theory - maybe they’re passing all consignor/consignee details to their colleagues at P&O Ferrymasters for them to tap up? Of course Norfolkline could be doing the same, only SeaChance might be safe as they couldn’t care anyway :grimacing:

jj72:

kerwyn:

i always like a nice conspiracy theory - maybe they’re passing all consignor/consignee details to their colleagues at P&O Ferrymasters for them to tap up? Of course Norfolkline could be doing the same, only SeaChance might be safe as they couldn’t care anyway :grimacing:

DFDS DSR probably did that and then bought Norfolkline :wink:

I convinced myself that Romtrans, PeKaeS, and Hungarocamion did that anyway whilst waiting for the EU enlargement

kerwyn:

Probably not, as they don’t weigh trucks leaving Europe, only when leaving the UK. That was some new legislation brought in after the Herald of Freeloaders incident. except the Herald capsized while leaving er, Europe :exclamation:

Wheel Nut:

kerwyn:

Probably not, as they don’t weigh trucks leaving Europe, only when leaving the UK. That was some new legislation brought in after the Herald of Freeloaders incident. except the Herald capsized while leaving er, Europe :exclamation:

I would have thought it would make more sense to have a limit on the amount of trucks been carried rather than the 5000 that if they all made it on time were to sail on her that evening. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

sorry boys but can any one explain what a cmr is, i thought it ment for comunial movements of romainians :smiley: