Transporting Fireworks?

I’m just after a few opinions to see what others think?

I opened my curtains containing groupage after getting off of the ferry and to my surprise there were 8 boxes of fireworks contained inside with the UN marking of 1.4

On inspection they turned out to be kids bangers, the type that are wrapped in paper that go bang when you throw them on the floor.

In total the 8 boxes weighed 104kgs

No one had advised me that they were within the groupage and they were not declared on the paperwork

After letting my company know they told me that they were not dangerous goods even though the boxes were clearly marked■■?

What do you lot reckon■■?

i reckon your a wimp :smiley:

I reckon you are asking a sensible question that deserves a sensible reply, unfortunately I am no longer hazchem trained so cannot give a definitive answer. Many years ago I used to collect the strips that bang in christmas crackers destined for Ireland and didn’t require documentation for road transport but needed the red hazardous docs for the boat.

The question highlights a problem that I have often thought about over the years, if you are not hazchem trained how can you be expected to know the regulations regarding packaging, quantities etc for the different categories of hazardous goods. No doubt if a mistake is made it will be the drivers fault whether or not advice has been sought from the shipper or management who both will have a vested interest in getting the goods shipped.

green456:

:laughing:

matamoros:
I reckon you are asking a sensible question that deserves a sensible reply, unfortunately I am no longer hazchem trained so cannot give a definitive answer. Many years ago I used to collect the strips that bang in christmas crackers destined for Ireland and didn’t require documentation for road transport but needed the red hazardous docs for the boat.

The question highlights a problem that I have often thought about over the years, if you are not hazchem trained how can you be expected to know the regulations regarding packaging, quantities etc for the different categories of hazardous goods. No doubt if a mistake is made it will be the drivers fault whether or not advice has been sought from the shipper or management who both will have a vested interest in getting the goods shipped.

This is the reason I asked. I have no issue delivering anything and I have a current ADR licence but not class 1. I wouldn’t want to get fined through ignorance which is why I wanted others opinions.

fireworks in bulk do come under class 1…don`t know about 8 boxes though.limited quantities perhaps :question:

green456:

Ha ha

fireworks dont come under adr regs as they are limited quanties.

matamoros:

The shippers is responsible for any documents, if they say it is not ADR, that should be good enough for the driver.

Fireworks of 1.4 will be either 1.4s or 1.4g. The s classification need no placards by road

m4rky:
I’m just after a few opinions to see what others think?

I opened my curtains containing groupage after getting off of the ferry and to my surprise there were 8 boxes of fireworks contained inside with the UN marking of 1.4

On inspection they turned out to be kids bangers, the type that are wrapped in paper that go bang when you throw them on the floor.

No one had advised me that they were within the groupage and they were not declared on the paperwork

After letting my company know they told me that they were not dangerous goods even though the boxes were clearly marked■■?

What do you lot reckon■■?

Hi m4rky,

Sorry mate, but you’ve not quite provided enough info for anybody to give you a proper answer.

m4rky:
UN marking of 1.4

Was there also a letter on the label please??
(Maybe a “G” or an “S” as mentioned by Malc??)

1.4G.jpg
1.4S.jpg

m4rky:

Strange to relate, but this doesn’t actually matter, because (for UN Class 1) it is the actual net weight of the explosive substance that counts. The weight of the wrappings/boxes/plastic spikes and cardboard tubing are ALL ignored by ADR. The boxes should have been additionally marked with “NEM” and a lower figure for the actual weight of explosive contents on them.
(NEM = Net Explosive Mass.)

For example, the gross weight of this box of boosters is 8.5kg, but only 3kg would count for ADR purposes.
:bulb: The other 5.5kg counts for all other purposes, such as vehicle loading limits etc, but is disregarded by ADR.

DSC00009.JPG

Also, the boxes are required to show the UN Number and Proper Shipping Name, so could I ask whether the ones you carried might have had something like: UN 0337 FIREWORKS written on them please?

If you can say what the UN number was plus the NEM/NEQ I could have a stab at an answer.

For now, and even from the limited info you’ve provided, it is already absolutely certain that we’re NOT speaking of Limited Quantities, because there are NO Limited Quantity exemptions available for any substances or articles in UN Class 1.

m4rky:
After letting my company know they told me that they were not dangerous goods

There might be some mistake here… if something has a 1.4 S label on it, then it IS dangerous goods, but your company might have (possibly correctly) meant that the load isn’t subject to ADR. Those two things have completely different meanings though.

Ive carried 26ton of Ammunition(Bulletts) from Switzerland to the UK without ADR before now, they were badged up as 1.4S. Its the lowest class of ADR you can get IIRC and only hazardous by sea…

Thanks for the answers so far - Funnily enough I knew that I didn’t have enough info about them before posting but wanted to put it out there anyway.

Dave - The marking were 1.4 S and they clearly had this symbol printed onto each box which is why I was so surprised to find them. The box also said the work Fireworks on it next to the UN number but sorry I forgot to get the UN number :blush:

Also the weight of the boxes were marked 14kg gross weight and 13kg net weight?

BuzzardBoy:
Ive carried 26ton of Ammunition(Bulletts) from Switzerland to the UK without ADR before now, they were badged up as 1.4S. Its the lowest class of ADR you can get IIRC and only hazardous by sea…

Hi BuzzardBoy,

You’re spot-on mate, cos 1.4S can be carried without limit, and doesn’t need an ADR licence or orange plates because it’s in ADR Transport Category 4. :smiley:

m4rky:
Thanks for the answers so far - Funnily enough I knew that I didn’t have enough info about them before posting but wanted to put it out there anyway.

Dave - The marking were 1.4 S and they clearly had this symbol printed onto each box which is why I was so surprised to find them. The box also said the work Fireworks on it next to the UN number but sorry I forgot to get the UN number :blush:

Also the weight of the boxes were marked 14kg gross weight and 13kg net weight?

Hi m4rky,

Now the mystery is solved. :smiley:

Mystic Dave reckons that the UN number is UN 0337, which is 1.4S and therefore not subject to any limit before ADR applies in full. This means that you can carry any amount without needing an ADR licence or orange plates.

The boosters in my pic above can also be carried without limit, because they’re also 1.4S, as is the ammunition mentioned by BuzzardBoy above. I used to carry 23t of shotgun cartridges at a time back from Italy, and they’re also 1.4S

I’ll also mention that it is the responsibility of the consignor (sender) to classify and document any shipment of dangerous goods. Regardless of what any boss says, it is NOT an employed driver’s legal responsibility to decide whether ADR applies to a job or not, and this has been the case since 09/05/2004.

Dave thanks very much for the answer

Its a shame really that this is not explained to the driver before he/she finds stuff like this is the trailer

At least I know for the future :slight_smile:

BuzzardBoy:

good job you wasnt going to cyprus with them. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

jessicas dad:

BuzzardBoy:

good job you wasnt going to cyprus with them. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Good point, Whatever happened to to Ian Yng or whatever his name was…

BuzzardBoy:

jessicas dad:

BuzzardBoy:

Good point, Whatever happened to to Ian Yng or whatever his name was…

His business exploded and then his house caught fire :laughing:

I thought he got let off? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hmmm, the plot thickens. Seems Mr Y has chosen to delete the story.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14400