Transport Unions?

Is it worth joining any Transport unions out there such as the United Road Transport Union or any others, are there any members of unions out there who can recommend them :question:

I was with the TGWU then it changed into UNITE … I was purly in the union for my protection but alas I dont think being an Agency driver they were offering me anything any more. With all the companys out there offering their services I decided to stop my membership.
After being in the Union for 20 years I didnt even get a letter asking me why I was leaving the union so I do feel that they werent really fussed.

If anyone is looking for a job, you could try here.

Trades Union Congress (T.U.C.)

With member unions representing over six and a half million working people, the TUC campaigns for a fair deal at work and for social justice at home and abroad.
T.U.C. DRIVER

Secretary’s Department

Job Ref: S/13/09

Grade 5, £31,333 per annum including London Weighting rising incrementally to £32,450 (based on 4 hour week)

Based in Congress House, London WC1B 3LS

The postholder will provide driving and additional administrative services to the General Secretary and other TUC staff as required. The job is based on a 40 hour week but regularly requires the post holder working significant and unsocial hours including evenings and weekends.

In addition to having a full clean driving licence and awareness and knowledge of appropriate highway legislation, the sucessful candidate will also need to demonstrate:

Excellent driving skills
Ability to handle confidential information with utmost discretion
Ability to deal sensitively and discretely with VIP visitors and TUC contacts
Ability to work to tight schedules and meet deadlines
Reliability and trustworthiness

TUC staff enjoy a generous benefits package including final salary pension scheme and other benefits.

The TUC values a diverse workforce and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community.

Whether it is a 4 or 40 hour week makes no difference, but you will struggle to earn 32.5k driving a lorry for 40 hours

Me with URTU, have been for many years - good for representing individuals - tribunals, legal advice etc but crap for national issues - Maggie Thatcher took away their teeth for that…

Never saw the point, our so called “rep” was so much in the pocket of the gaffa with his cushty number you never won owt through him anyway :unamused: I decided to join GMB which my ex employer didnt recognise and tried telling me it was a waste of money, then when they started demanding I do more then I was told to do in my contract I ended up locking horns on several occasions resulting in victory for me as I got help from them and threatended them with all kinds of crap which they duely off loaded my extra work to someone else :smiley: Als o dont like being told to “just ■■■■■■■ do it” by a lazy ■■■■ ex driver that was only a manager because he was crap at driving and as such was in depot managers office most weeks with new complaints of his behaviour, it got to the point I would do it for fun just to cause him aggro and I would never take anything extra at all to help him and remind him of why :smiley: Anyway sorryfor rant, I know that the unions pay parking/speeding fines so might be worth it for 2 quid a week but I wont bother with one now till I need legal advice for free of course :stuck_out_tongue: