Transport manager rates

Hi everyone hope you can help.

We are a plant hire firm with 3 lorries on a restricted licence. He has bought a new lorry and wants us to move to a standard licence so he can get other work for the lorry.

I’m 1 of the drivers but have my management CPC but never used it so to save costs he wants me to assume the transport managers position, as you can see we are only a small set up, although he has spoke to me about it we haven’t negotiated a rate.

What would be the going rate for a small firm?

Others may have different opinions but I’d say £250 a month.

You’re supposed to dedicate 8hrs a week, but I’m not sure how many vehicles that covers. That’s a days money in the office world, and a tm will demand anything between £180 and £500 a day, depending on the size of company. Don’t know what ad hoc rates are for freelancers, but don’t forget your neck is on the block, it’s more than a favour. I’d chance it and ask for £300 a week extra, then settle around £200. That’s only £50 a vehicle, don’t think that’s a bad rate all round

Quite a big difference on your opinions but at least I have figure to play with at either ends of the spectrum.

Thanks for the replies

Apart from the money you need to make it clear that YOU are the boss on matters to do with the operation of the vehicles.

I know someone who gets an extra £1.50 per hr for a similar job .

I can’t see anybody getting £500 per day to be anybody’s transport manager, or even £180 per day. I can’t even see Eddie Stobarts CPC holder earning anything like this.

If I’m wrong, then just let me know and I’ll be up there like a shot!

cav551:
Apart from the money you need to make it clear that YOU are the boss on matters to do with the operation of the vehicles.

I would put this above any monetary issues.

The minumum recommend hours for a 3 vehicle licence is 15 hours per week. I would expect a external transport manager to want around £150/week (£10/hour). If you are already employed by the company as a driver the negotiation might get more complicated though, as the 15 hours has to be taken off your working time for the week, effectively limiting your driving/other work time to a average of 33 hours per week.

cav551:

totally agree with this and was going to be my first point of negotiation if it’s not the case then my CPC won’t be getting used

whelmic:
The minumum recommend hours for a 3 vehicle licence is 15 hours per week. I would expect a external transport manager to want around £150/week (£10/hour). If you are already employed by the company as a driver the negotiation might get more complicated though, as the 15 hours has to be taken off your working time for the week, effectively limiting your driving/other work time to a average of 33 hours per week.

. Don’t think it would be an issue as I spend a lot of time in the yard as well

Harry Monk:
I can’t see anybody getting £500 per day to be anybody’s transport manager, or even £180 per day. I can’t even see Eddie Stobarts CPC holder earning anything like this.

It all depends on how the transport manager is defined. Take a company like stobart, the tm in name only, maybe he’s only on 40k a year, but the tm on the cpc, responsible for upto 200 vehicles depending on depot, will want a lot more than that, if he doesn’t he’s not the full ticket. Don’t forget that a tm can end up doing time if things go wrong. Even £500 a day is only a bit over 100k a year, not much for the likes of tesco etc to pay. £250 a month for 4 vehicles, wouldn’t be worth it to me. Just my opinion though

OVLOV JAY:

Harry Monk:

It all depends on how the transport manager is defined. Take a company like stobart, the tm in name only, maybe he’s only on 40k a year, but the tm on the cpc, responsible for upto 200 vehicles depending on depot, will want a lot more than that, if he doesn’t he’s not the full ticket. Don’t forget that a tm can end up doing time if things go wrong. Even £500 a day is only a bit over 100k a year, not much for the likes of tesco etc to pay. £250 a month for 4 vehicles, wouldn’t be worth it to me. Just my opinion though

Only problem in your theory is 50 vehicles per TM. Running 200 vehicles would require four names as TM.

You are thinking incorrectly.

A company can only have 1 TM, if you need more to cover extra vehicles they are only classed as Assistant TMs and afaik dont need to hold an operators CPC.

bobdebouwer:
You are thinking incorrectly.

A company can only have 1 TM, if you need more to cover extra vehicles they are only classed as Assistant TMs and afaik dont need to hold an operators CPC.

All the names down as transport managers on a operators licence are CPC holders. I have been one of two on a licence. Have a look on any of the big operators licence.

Depending a bit on the situation, many TM’s are a lot more than only CPC holder.
Don’t get blinded by the rates, a multi depot regional TM, supervisor over several local TM’s does not more than 60k in a year, but has to do a lot more than making sure vehicles are legal. Their salary is most times build up with bonuses, and controlled by profit, turnover, cost etc.
A full time TM at a smaller company (up to 20 vehicles) is about 28-32K per year.
A medium sized company will pay somewhere between 38-43k (if he did 40 hrs he would get £21 to £22 per hour, but he will be on-call 24/7, work out of hours etc.)
As a TM in a small business, where it’s only a part-time job and your other job is driving / yardman, i would expect my salary to be topped up with another 500,- bonus monthly (assuming you get the hours you work paid at your normal rate)

There are so many stories how much a TM makes, but have a look at the adverts on the like as indeed, and you will be shocked.

Not wishing to take too much on, but is it permissible to be the TM and O Licence holder?

Or are the two not allowed to mix?

:open_mouth:

el_presidente:
Not wishing to take too much on, but is it permissible to be the TM and O Licence holder?

Are you for real ? A lot of operators are the TM.

Dave the Renegade:

el_presidente:

Yes I am for real. Honest. An interesting existential question however.

It’s good to know that, as a small going concern, you can keep as much of the work ‘in house’.

el_presidente:

Dave the Renegade:

el_presidente:

Yes I am for real. Honest. An interesting existential question however.

It’s good to know that, as a small going concern, you can keep as much of the work ‘in house’.

Treat yourself to David Lowe’s Transport Manager and Operators handbook, updated every year.