Transport manager rates

el_presidente:
Not wishing to take too much on, but is it permissible to be the TM and O Licence holder?

Or are the two not allowed to mix?

:open_mouth:

I suppose the ‘‘mix’’ is fine until you start to drive your hours per week as well, then you would be open to questioning depending on how many trucks you ran.

As previously stated most important part is that you need to be effectively managing the fleet and drivers. Regarding your fee I would say that £100 per vehicle per month is an absolute minimum TM should take as anything less is not worth the responsibility.

Little comparison:
TM
4 vehicles (guidance 15 h per week) £100 per vehicle.
£400 PCM would be about £93 per week, which is £6.20 p/h

Cleaner
Easily £8 per hour these days. Times 15h =£120. That is over £500 a month for same hours.

O…and don’t think cleaner would get called in front of Traffic Commissioner if they messed up on the job!

Dave the Renegade:

el_presidente:

Dave the Renegade:

el_presidente:
Not wishing to take too much on, but is it permissible to be the TM and O Licence holder?

Or are the two not allowed to mix?

:open_mouth:

Are you for real ? A lot of operators are the TM.

Yes I am for real. Honest. An interesting existential question however.

It’s good to know that, as a small going concern, you can keep as much of the work ‘in house’.

Treat yourself to David Lowe’s Transport Manager and Operators handbook, updated every year.

Ta. :slight_smile:

If it assists, I am an external CPC holder and I charge £300 per month for the first vehicle and £100 per month for each subsequent vehicle for GREEN operators, £450 and £150 per month for AMBER operators and I negotiate fees for RED operators and those I represent at Public Inquiry.

The SE Traffic Commissioner recently told an RHA seminar that he would like to see TM’s paid “in excess” of £60K to reflect the level of responsibility and professionalism he expects to go with the job. Caused a few raised eyebrows, but if you end up at a PI because you’re paying peanuts it’s just one of the factors he’ll be looking at. In the case of the OP, it’s unlikely you can do a full week driving and cover the TM job. Quite apart from anything else you’ll never comply with working time rules, never mind tachos.

I charge according to the operators type of work, and the amount of mileage they are doing, also the likelihood of any infringements etc.

Depending on when you were last in a TM role you may find the TC will require you to attend a two day CPC refresher course before they will allow you to be nominated on a new licence.

I am sure you understand the HUGE responsibility of being the nominated TM. Don’t cheapen the role and undersell yourself. If you don’t do it the boss will either need to take the CPC exams (not the easiest to pass) or employ someone like Steve Rounds …

Of course it may be that you work for a very switched on employer and running the fleet and ensuring compliance will be easy - but I doubt that will be the case.

Sounds as if TM CPC refresher courses every five years could become a requirement, same as DCPC.

Dave the Renegade:
I charge according to the operators type of work, and the amount of mileage they are doing, also the likelihood of any infringements etc.

What do you reckon would be a fair call if the company has one 8wheeler, one 6wheeler and a puddle jumper Dave, and what sort of work would be involved?
My boss has brought up the idea of me going for the CPC exam again. I’m quite happy just being tipper driver/part time digger driver who sorts his own work but everyone has a price. :wink:

Muckaway:

Dave the Renegade:

What do you reckon would be a fair call if the company has one 8wheeler, one 6wheeler and a puddle jumper Dave, and what sort of work would be involved?
My boss has brought up the idea of me going for the CPC exam again. I’m quite happy just being tipper driver/part time digger driver who sorts his own work but everyone has a price. :wink:

£600.00 a month Nathan, at the very least.
Cheers Dave.