Transition from Class 2 to 1

Kinda lost here…I’ve been browsing some agency ads today, most class 1 jobs require 2 years on your class 1 license, some are open to new passes (subject to passing an assessment + theory test). What type of work for what type of company/business would be most suitable for someone with class 2 but no class1 experience, i.e. no RL xp in reversing and insecure about driving an artic on my own from day 1… The kind of work/company where they would send someone with you for a week to make sure you don’t get stuck somewhere, lol…

On the other hand I don’t want to wait for too long and lose my freshly acquired artic driving skills (however basic and unimpressive they may be…) in exchange for fake experience on my class 1 license only to be told 6 months from now at my first job “keys are in the truck, hand this to goods in when you get there, fill up before you get back”.

How long have you had your class 2 for? A lot of companies will consider experience gained at class 2, as it is commercial driving experience, which is usually enough to keep their insurers happy.
You’re unlikely to spend a significant amount of time with another driver unless the job requires specific training, eg tankers.
Apply for any job that appeals to you, they will either say no or call you in. If they call you in, explain your class 2 experience, but say you’re newly qualified class 1 and are still trying to get a chance to put your newly acquired skills into practice.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Stick with the class 2, unless you are prepared to take a drop in wages.

Look for an outfit that has both class 1 & 2 work, get a start on class 2 if necessary?

I passed C+E without ever using my rigid licence then failed multiple class 1 assessments because I was hopeless at reversing. Assessor at my current outfit suggested I do some class 2 work for them and they’d get me a chance to practice. Took a few months, but I got some time with the shunters then a spell shifting trailers between two nearby sites. Now doing a mostly class 1 work plus a few class 2 runs. I’m ok with that since I get paid class 1 rate regardless of what I drive.

I started on a small pallet company, class 2. Made sure the boss man knew I had Class 1. When the chance to do a Saturday morning hub run came up when he had no cover and was moaning about having to do it himself I was first in his ear reminding him of my bendy licence. 1st artic shift, a double decker. Couple more of those done with no phone calls to get him out of bed with stupid questions and he buys me a little urban trailer for my day runs, happy days I’m now full time class 1 :smiley:

Did a year for some experience then off to Asda :smiley:

Crossroads:
Look for an outfit that has both class 1 & 2 work, get a start on class 2 if necessary?

I passed C+E without ever using my rigid licence then failed multiple class 1 assessments because I was hopeless at reversing. Assessor at my current outfit suggested I do some class 2 work for them and they’d get me a chance to practice. Took a few months, but I got some time with the shunters then a spell shifting trailers between two nearby sites. Now doing a mostly class 1 work plus a few class 2 runs. I’m ok with that since I get paid class 1 rate regardless of what I drive.

Yes, I do have something in mind very much like this. The problem is, I did a shift recently for them and now I can’t change agency for 6 weeks and the agency I did the shift with can’t get me there because they don’t have a quota… I think this is going to be my best option - it’s store deliveries at night but no loading bays so there’s always the option of parking on the side if it’s too risky to reverse to the store door; already familiar with the work so 1 thing less to get used to. Some of the estates are tiny but at least there’s no one there at night (except dozens of parked cars/vans) so good for a bit of practice without worrying about holding up traffic or dealing with impatient forkers.

ETS:

Crossroads:

Yes, I do have something in mind very much like this. The problem is, I did a shift recently for them and now I can’t change agency for 6 weeks and the agency I did the shift with can’t get me there because they don’t have a quota… I think this is going to be my best option - it’s store deliveries at night but no loading bays so there’s always the option of parking on the side if it’s too risky to reverse to the store door; already familiar with the work so 1 thing less to get used to. Some of the estates are tiny but at least there’s no one there at night (except dozens of parked cars/vans) so good for a bit of practice without worrying about holding up traffic or dealing with impatient forkers.

Ignore what the agencies say about switching. It’s your career and if they can’t find you work, you’re allowed to go elsewhere and find it. They just like to have as many people on their books as possible, especially people who they can’t get work for, so they have someone available if work comes in at short notice

CookieMonster:
Ignore what the agencies say about switching. It’s your career and if they can’t find you work, you’re allowed to go elsewhere and find it. They just like to have as many people on their books as possible, especially people who they can’t get work for, so they have someone available if work comes in at short notice

No, I’ve already ditched them. It’s the company that won’t allow me to start there through another agency - it’s a rule they have to prevent drivers from agency-hopping because they work with 3-4 up to 5-6 (during peak times) agencies, hence the 6 weeks cooldown period. I only learned about this afterwards when I tried to register with another agency who also supplies drivers to them.

They’ll also most likely want to assess me for class 1 as I only passed their rigid test when I worked there last year. Hopefully it won’t include reversing - the class 2 assessment didn’t.

@ETS

For what it’s worth ETS. Many years ago I was amazed at how easily class 1 drivers reversed between the yellow lines onto bays. The driver looked straight ahead, but the trailer seemed to have a mind of its own.

Then a friendly driver explained it to me. Next time you look at the driver, don’t look at his face watch his eyes. He’s looking in the mirror at the rear trailer wheels, because wherever they go, everything else is going to follow.

Reversing is that easy. It’s one of those EUREKA moments, where it suddenly all falls into place and you think, ‘Oh, that’s how it’s done.’ Practice if you get the chance, or if you’re in a yard ask someone if you can sit next to them and if they’ll talk you through it. It doesn’t take long and from then on you’d have to intentionally try not to get it on a bay. :slight_smile:

Grandpa:
@ETS

For what it’s worth ETS. Many years ago I was amazed at how easily class 1 drivers reversed between the yellow lines onto bays. The driver looked straight ahead, but the trailer seemed to have a mind of its own.

Then a friendly driver explained it to me. Next time you look at the driver, don’t look at his face watch his eyes. He’s looking in the mirror at the rear trailer wheels, because wherever they go, everything else is going to follow.

Reversing is that easy. It’s one of those EUREKA moments, where it suddenly all falls into place and you think, ‘Oh, that’s how it’s done.’ Practice if you get the chance, or if you’re in a yard ask someone if you can sit next to them and if they’ll talk you through it. It doesn’t take long and from then on you’d have to intentionally try not to get it on a bay. :slight_smile:

Spot on Grandpa but the fuss you see some making you would think it is the hardest thing ever. A little bit of advice from someone that knows what they are talking about, a little bit of practice and Bingo it goes exactly where you want it to. :smiley:

Problem is the reversing exercise you do for the test has no resemblance to any reversing you do on the job, and most training companies don’t give you any practise in anything else. Just a this is what you need to pass the test attitude and after that we don’t care.

Then you go to a company or agency and whilst there a some out there that will give you a bit of extra on the job training or put you out with an experienced driver for a day or two. There’s also plenty that hold the attitude well you’ve got a licence so here’s the keys here’s your job off you go.

So if your training company didn’t show you anything else, and the company or agency couldn’t care less if your new or not. Then it’s going to end in tears.

When reversing try holding the wheel at the bottom,what usually happens is your over steering,so holding the bottom of the wheel limits your movements

Rowley010:
Problem is the reversing exercise you do for the test has no resemblance to any reversing you do on the job, and most training companies don’t give you any practise in anything else. Just a this is what you need to pass the test attitude and after that we don’t care.

Then you go to a company or agency and whilst there a some out there that will give you a bit of extra on the job training or put you out with an experienced driver for a day or two. There’s also plenty that hold the attitude well you’ve got a licence so here’s the keys here’s your job off you go.

So if your training company didn’t show you anything else, and the company or agency couldn’t care less if your new or not. Then it’s going to end in tears.

I understand what you are saying however if you think about it the exercise does involve a little bit of blindside then a little bit of offside into a bay. I would say a lot depends on the way it is taught and how much practice is given. If you are taught by looking for markers and the number of turns of the wheel then that only gets you through the test. If a candidate is also struggling going forwards then there is little time for extra time reversing. That’s the point I was trying to make the other day when I was saying the training has changed.Any decent company years ago would teach you how to drive and reverse and the training involved difficult real situations. Now it is only to get someone through a test so really the only way is to get someone who know how to teach reversing and spend some time practicing.

After years, I still wasn’t and probably still can’t blindside without a shunt. It’s much easier to pull forward and take a quick look than get back to base and have to explain why your rear nearside is a funny shape! :slight_smile:

jakethesnake:

Rowley010:

I understand what you are saying however if you think about it the exercise does involve a little bit of blindside then a little bit of offside into a bay. I would say a lot depends on the way it is taught and how much practice is given. If you are taught by looking for markers and the number of turns of the wheel then that only gets you through the test. If a candidate is also struggling going forwards then there is little time for extra time reversing. That’s the point I was trying to make the other day when I was saying the training has changed.Any decent company years ago would teach you how to drive and reverse and the training involved difficult real situations. Now it is only to get someone through a test so really the only way is to get someone who know how to teach reversing and spend some time practicing.

You’ve said it. A lot of companies just stick markers on the trailer and say when you see this marker appear in this mirror straighten the wheels, then when this marker appear but full opposite lock on. You learn nothing from that other than how to pass a test.

In my experience I’ve found the arts of lying and gross exaggeration, are useful and successful techniques at interviews. :wink:

Don’t bother your arse about reversing either, practice and it comes…trust me.