Trans Arabia /S. Jones of Aldridge:A few pics

I seem to remember a similar instance while on my initial flight into Jeddah on board a Saudi air TRI STAR …as I mentioned sometime ago looking down on the “beautiful” lake with neon light reflected …thinking it might not be so bad after all …then came the cold light of day …the lake was just like a dump !!!and you all know the rest

HAPPY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR to all especially you Ron … Mah Salahms

backsplice:
I seem to remember a similar instance while on my initial flight into Jeddah on board a Saudi air TRI STAR …as I mentioned sometime ago looking down on the “beautiful” lake with neon light reflected …thinking it might not be so bad after all …then came the cold light of day …the lake was just like a dump !!!and you all know the rest

HAPPY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR to all especially you Ron … Mah Salahms

Wrote a long boring reply about the ‘lagoon’ which somehow disappeared! Learnt my first few words of Arabic at the chicken restaurant near there. ‘the food is ready’. Spent the long hours on the road reading the Arabic and English on the road signs, and am now able to read Arabic- the fact that I don’t understand more than a few words of it is irrelevant! If you’re a blind Arab - I can help!

Happy Christmas to all you old Saudi Truckers!

John.

When I persuaded my new wife (1984) Julie, to come out to Saudi, I mentioned that the stores were open until 10 in the evening. She liked this. In England at the time, everything closed by about 5.00pm, but her Uncle had moved to America after the war and family holidays were spent in New York.

Her vision of ‘Mall shopping’ was shattered in Dammam and Al Khobar by trying to avoid puddles of foul smelling liquid in the gutters as we traversed the pavements, looking for suitable pictures to adorn our flat. Suddenly there was a cry from the mosque of ‘Allah u aqbar’ and prayer time descended. Shutters down…

eventually we found what we were looking for, and loved our Oasis in Al Khobar for three years, until Julie became pregnant with our ‘little girl’ who is now 31 and a mother herself with a 1 year old.

I was general manager of ‘Al Quafilah’, we offered air freight, ocean freight and ran about 15 trucks - including Scanias and ERFs. We had lots of friends there, including Pat Conway, Martin Mears and even ‘Ron Hawk’. I met Ken B once in Jeddah, although I’m sure he won’t remember.

I had a wonderful 11 years in Saudi.

John.

Trans Arabia.

image.jpg

Turning back the clock , 1960’s

Happy Christmas , Mirlin ,

Happy new year to all Ron

ronhawk:
Happy new year to all Ron

Same to you Ron
Cheers
Johnny

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Happy new Year my old "SADIQ "…stay upright and between the white lines !!!

TASECO - TMS 1983

ronhawk:
TASECO - TMS 1983

Hi
Hope you are keeping well.
I was looking thru some of the old stuff earlier today on our site in particular the rescue of our golden laden Philippines boy off the mine site road with the engine mounting issue - the mistake you made was not to carry on and go to the mine and look around the site with a trip underground - fascinating.

So where are your recovery photos and details for this picture? Most of the houses and settlements in the mountain areas got their water from wells, hence all the Lister single pot engines pumping water as did the Almasane Mine but there’s was a ■■■■■■■ 6 cylinder.

Keep good

Ken

Transport managers !!

ronhawk:
Transport managers !!

Ron
Here you go again jumping off at the deep end - if you think we didn’t appreciate what was required and how difficult it could be - hey but their you go.
Interesting the mine had food/cooks,showers and beds - you would have been well taken care of.
I drove down to Almasane in the Blazer many times - sleeping in the back - even had MEJ & David Hughes with on one occasion.
Keep cool

Ken

Nelson did good

Same trucks diferent drivers .

Looking back .

ronhawk:
Same trucks diferent drivers .

You might say 2 set of wise men from different countries - the experience and abilities of those 3 Brits was top dollar - unfortunaly only one Brut still alive - RIP Goggi and Taffy Bill your memories are still alive.

Good pictures Ron

Ken

Driving

Ah Ron old pal …I know what you mean …this was what it was like outside the SARAMAT yard during Haj !!! look out for the terry toweling pilgrims