Tramping

So you apply for a tramping job.What are you expecting your boss to provide for you?

Own truck?microwave?
Would you mind different truck everyweek?

Discuss

Discuss? lol

Dedicated truck and fridge minimum in my opinion.

I’ve never been lucky enough to have a microwave so that’ll be a bonus if I ever get one but I certainly wouldn’t use different trucks every week! For me I have to get it to my standard of cleanliness and all my stuff in it and have it as ‘mine’ for a good while.

Dedicated reliable truck. Im pretty happy then. Couldn’t do cab hopping every week.

Never had a microwave, put a chill box and tv/dvd in mine.

I wouldn’t be happy if other people used it (particularly agency) as I’ve got some good stuff it in that frankly I wouldn’t trust them not to nick.

Although you’ll probably use only one truck, it wouldn’t be unusual for the truck to be used while you were on holidays or weekends, especially with larger companies.
As for anything else such as fridges and microwaves, well that will depend on the company and how they spec their trucks or if those things come as standard.

muckles:
Although you’ll probably use only one truck, it wouldn’t be unusual for the truck to be used while you were on holidays or weekends, especially with larger companies.
As for anything else such as fridges and microwaves, well that will depend on the company and how they spec their trucks or if those things come as standard.

At my work when a driver of one of the new units is off for 2 weeks say only a few select people can use it. Im not on that list as I drive a 56 plate lorry :smiley:

nomiS36:
I’ve never been lucky enough to have a microwave so that’ll be a bonus if I ever get one but I certainly wouldn’t use different trucks every week! For me I have to get it to my standard of cleanliness and all my stuff in it and have it as ‘mine’ for a good while.

I’d never had a Microwave til 2yrs ago, then I got a new Scania with the kitchen pack, Microwave coffee maker and fridge freezer(though I’ve had a fridge for a long time), all off which I would now find hard to do with out, though I’d spent the previous 20+ yrs without most of them. It is case off you don’t know what you have til its gone. I’m slightly concerned that the FH4’s and 106’s that the company is now getting don’t have microwaves, so in a couple off years I might be looking for a new job, number 1 criteria does it have a Microwave :wink:

I have done lorry hopping, but its not something I’d repeat doing in a hurry, you have to have your own environment to feel comfortable :wink:

If you are genuinely tramping,as opposed to just having four or five nights out per week, then yes a dedicated vehicle and preferably with a fitted fridge too. After your weeks out (probably 3-6weeks but usually it’ll probably be no more than 3 if on UK only work) then no one else should get in your wagon,other than a fitter for example, whilst you’re on your 3 or four days off.
That’s how I always did it when I was tramping.
Only out monday to friday now so don’t need half as much kit/space etc.

Dedicated high roofed truck and an understanding Wife :stuck_out_tongue:

I have my own fridge so don’t need one (though I wouldn’t object to a fitted one) would love a microwave but can make do with my camping gas cooker.

Nope only thing I’m short on is the Wife letting me :frowning:

Jamiemufu:

Minimum? So if you were offered a decent job but the truck had no fridge you wouldn’t take it, :open_mouth: .seriously? :unamused:

Dedicated truck yeh, would (and do now) use my own fridge and m/wave if not fitted.
Don,t like my truck used when I’m off, but have to lump and accept it, fair enough.
However I do insist that it is not used by some dirty bsstard, or a smoker.
Co.have been fair enough with me and have co.operated with that request since I started with them 6 or so yrs ago, so I can’t fault them for that. Maybe it’s because they know I am a bit ocd on the cleanliness and tidiness of my cab interior.

I have recently joined a company as a tramper and was promised a truck with an inverter and microwave , but when truck finally arrived it had neither .
But I have found that although a microwave would be great it is not essential.
I have a cooker and a fridge and manage fine .

The only thing you can expect is a legal roadworthy truck if you get anything else consider it a bonus

Had a micro in the last Scania but not in the new 4wk old Volvo,
do have the good sized fridge/freezer under the bunk though.

Take truck keys home at the weekend and had 10 days off early July and truck sat parked in yard over that time. :sunglasses:

robroy:

Jamiemufu:

Minimum? So if you were offered a decent job but the truck had no fridge you wouldn’t take it, :open_mouth: .seriously? :unamused:

Dedicated truck yeh, would (and do now) use my own fridge and m/wave if not fitted.
Don,t like my truck used when I’m off, but have to lump and accept it, fair enough.
However I do insist that it is not used by some dirty bsstard, or a smoker.
Co.have been fair enough with me and have co.operated with that request since I started with them 6 or so yrs ago, so I can’t fault them for that. Maybe it’s because they know I am a bit ocd on the cleanliness and tidiness of my cab interior.

I tramp now. Have my own cool box. But I wouldn’t do general haulage tramping if the gaffer won’t even folk out for a fridge with some of the rates that go with said work. I think for me it is you expect me go stay away for a week/s and you won’t even buy a motor with a fridge? As it happens I’m now in pet reg DAF with no fridge, but I have a coolbox and the company paid for half.

Jamiemufu:
I tramp now. Have my own cool box. But I wouldn’t do general haulage tramping if the gaffer won’t even folk out for a fridge with some of the rates that go with said work. I think for me it is you expect me go stay away for a week/s and you won’t even buy a motor with a fridge? .

I reckon I’ve heard it all now mate. :unamused:
I know times change (and I’m glad they have) but I remember when most expected you (and we did) to go tramping in a motor without a ■■■■■■ BUNK.

robroy:

Jamiemufu:
I tramp now. Have my own cool box. But I wouldn’t do general haulage tramping if the gaffer won’t even folk out for a fridge with some of the rates that go with said work. I think for me it is you expect me go stay away for a week/s and you won’t even buy a motor with a fridge? .

I reckon I’ve heard it all now mate. :unamused:
I know times change (and I’m glad they have) but I remember when most expected you (and we did) to go tramping in a motor without a [zb] BUNK.

Thank God for Health & Safety!!! :grimacing:

Our Renaults premiums don’t have fridges but our Scanias and the new T-series do. Even though we don’t “tramp” its still nice to know its there. I’m still using a Premium though but I have a cool-box which does the job. Our units are trusted to one driver but they will get agency guys in if we take time off. None of our trucks have microwaves but the TM has said if we buy them ourselves then they will fit them for us.

Decent answers.

Well i have my own coolbox etc.
I had a interview at a place and was told i would be in a different cab every week.
Not allowed to use a gas stove in the cab(you have to agree to this)
No microwave(was hoping to fit my own but different cab screws that)

Might try it but kinda like my own bed ie not changing.