Tramping & High Liners

I was speaking to a couple of the lads in our yard this morning that are on the same work as me but for a different company, we’re subbed out to companies with our trucks. Now out of all of us I am the only one that is driving a low liner Stralis, and the guys said that as far as they knew it was illegal for my company to do this as if you spend more than 2 nights away from home then you are supposed to have a high line vehicle. Can anyone confirm this■■?

ermm no as long as its got a bed your sorted mate

tis a myth mate aka

drivers ■■■■■■■■

Yes, they are correct, be very careful how you broach the subject with your employer as it was an EU law that wasnt fully agreed before it was passed

You need to take a couple of measurements, measure from the centre of the steering wheel to the passenger window. [Measurement A]
That should give you something like 150 or 160cm.

The distance must then be measured from the drivers seat to the roof lining. If it is less than Measurement A, then that truck is classed as a lowline cab.

As long as you are only doing occasional nights out, per week, you should be ok. If it is more than 2 nights, then you either have to sleep in a hotel or you need a larger Hiline cab.

I will try to find the legislation for you

I’m glad they have this legislation now but its 30 years too late for some of us :angry: I shouldn’t complain…all that handball and roping and sheeting kept me fit :wink:

I remember something like this discussion when I started long distance in the early 70’s. There was a rumour of impending legislation going round which was supposed to state that if your bunk wasn’t more than a certain distance from the steering wheel then you weren’t allowed to overnight in it, only use it for rest on driving breaks. It didn’t cut any mustard with my boss as I only had a Leyland Mastiff (non sleeper). What I did have though was a very large sleeper pod attached to the fifth wheel, made by “York”. I carried a single mattress on top of the load (boxes of plastic vending cups) and always made sure that I got enough of the drops off in order to make a big enough bedroom , and it was very " high line", about 8ft 6ins! :laughing: .
Ahh, happy days!
One of our drivers who only had a class 2 licence so only drove a rigid Bedford TK (mainly delivering round the Manchester/Liverpool area) had a hatch cut in the floor of his box body so he could get into/out of the back of his seemingly locked wagon to sleep.

It’s good to see that these rumours are still doing the rounds.

Here you are I knew it was here somewhere.

Health & Safety EU Rules.

Lorry Cabs

Wheel Nut:

Lorry Cabs

:laughing: :laughing: You had me there. :laughing:

I think the myth comes form some sort of space required for a workspace being talked about by the EU a few years back and somebody starting spreading the rumour that it would affect sleeper cabs.
And as we all know a a rumour will go round the world while truth is pulling its boots on. Especially if it has anything do to with the EU.

muckles:

Wheel Nut:

Lorry Cabs

:laughing: :laughing: You had me there. :laughing:

I think the myth comes form some sort of space required for a workspace being talked about by the EU a few years back and somebody starting spreading the rumour that it would affect sleeper cabs.
And as we all know a a rumour will go round the world while truth is pulling its boots on. Especially if it has anything do to with the EU.

I had visions of dozens of drivers nipping down the yard this morning with the wifes sewing box to measure the cabs.

Did you know that all the car transporter lads are interviewed in a broom cupboard?

wheelnut, you are so helpful with your links :wink: ,

im off to see my boss tomorow to see if he can get me a magnum (i bet i end up with an ice cream and the second word would probably be off!)

Ive known rumours to start between drivers in the furthest reaches of Europe and then get back to the transport office in the Uk before the driver that started the rumour.

This myth with large cabs is also known as …

WISHFUL THINKING :smiley:

I fail to understand how anyone belivies this particulat piece of Driver’s BS. It is one of the easiest to spot as fake of the many thousands which do the rounds. If it was ‘illegal’ to not have a high cab then it would be illegal full stop, the number of nights would be irrelevant.

I heard a cracking new one this week, relayed to me by jimboy124 who heard it on that hotbed of Urban Myths, the train. Apparently it is illegal to carry less than 3 printer rolls for the digi tacho as each roll is designed to print exactly 28 days of records and 3 rolls enables the enforcement authorities to go back 3 months. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :unamused: :unamused:

The guy spouting this crap hadn’t really thought it through as it is impossible to design a print roll to hold exactly 28 days worth of records because no two days will require the same length of print roll. Length of day, number of mode changes, number of overspeeds or faults etc will all have a bearing and a day could be anything from a few inches to a couple of feet of paper. He has ignored all this and continues to make himself look an arse by repeating this BS to anyone who will listen. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

toowise:
Ive known rumours to start between drivers in the furthest reaches of Europe and then get back to the transport office in the Uk before the driver that started the rumour.

It’s just too easy to start myths, the one I started has been repeated to me as fact by more than a few drivers over the 3 or 4 years since I started it. It always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to hear it again, almost like meeting up with a long lost friend. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
I fail to understand how anyone belivies this particulat piece of Driver’s BS. It is one of the easiest to spot as fake of the many thousands which do the rounds. If it was ‘illegal’ to not have a high cab then it would be illegal full stop, the number of nights would be irrelevant.

Because of

toowise:
This myth with large cabs is also known as …

WISHFUL THINKING

And the main problem is that the drivers sporting these tales are the loudest gobbyest blokes, who think everybody is entitlied to benifit from thier superior knowledge, but spend so long telling everybody they have no time to get the facts.

:unamused:

Coffeeholic:

toowise:

It’s just too easy to start myths, the one I started has been repeated to me as fact by more than a few drivers over the 3 or 4 years since I started it. It always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to hear it again, almost like meeting up with a long lost friend. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Go on then tell us what Rumour!!! :smiley:

I was once talking to a driver on the old Sally ferry to Dunkerque.

He said he was delivering to Moscow, (nothing unusual yet)

however he was adamant that his backload was in Canada and he was catching a ferry from Archangelski in the north of Russia over to Nova Scotia on the east coast of Canada. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused:

Unfortunately he may have a long wait as this was in late October and IIRC from my old ‘O’ level geograph Archangelski is icebound from September to May :laughing: :laughing:

Even when this was pointed out he still insisted that was where he was going.

3 days later I was returning on the same route to Ramsgate and guess who was on the ferry■■? :blush: :blush: :blush:

I was once talking to a driver on the old Sally ferry to Dunkerque.

He said he was delivering to Moscow, (nothing unusual yet)

however he was adamant that his backload was in Canada and he was catching a ferry from Archangelski in the north of Russia over to Nova Scotia on the east coast of Canada. Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately he may have a long wait as this was in late October and IIRC from my old ‘O’ level geograph Archangelski is icebound from September to May Laughing Laughing

Even when this was pointed out he still insisted that was where he was going.

3 days later I was returning on the same route to Ramsgate and guess who was on the ferry■■? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Did you ask him why he didnt get his ferry? :laughing:

I tried to but i think he waqs to embarrassed

He said something about his boss cancelled the load and then disappeared for the rest of the crossing.

Strange that :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I always ask on interview how many nights out a week? what will I be living in? How much will I be paid for it? Then weigh up the pros and cons. I would prob have a smaller truck for a higher wage but wouldnt want to sacrifice much money for a better larger truck

Wheel Nut:

Lorry Cabs

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: quality

:wink: