Tramping food stuffs

Just wondered what food/drink you trampers take with you on a week out. I was also looking at a 12v halfords cool box to use alongside the in built fridge/freezer (which isn’t the biggest) they any good?

Michael Douglas:
Just wondered what food/drink you trampers take with you on a week out. I was also looking at a 12v halfords cool box to use alongside the in built fridge/freezer (which isn’t the biggest) they any good?

yes mate very good get the big one ad mine two years then the plug melted tuck it back and the nice lady gave me a new one no cost at all halfords hav a replacement garantee :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Why would an actor from Hollywood ask about truck food, surely Catherine would cook for you ?

I’m out all week at the moment; nothing fancy in my truck just a cool box and a single burner gas stove so bit limited as to self-catering. Usually try and find a cafe to space the inevitable chippies and pizzas out, but I also keep a couple of tinned ready meals in stock just in case I end up in the middle of nowhere; curry in a lorry cab’s not for me so it’s usually Irish stew or something else equally tedious.

Saw these in a local supermarket and thought I’d give them a try;

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/

So far I’ve had the beef meatballs and the Tees Valley beef casserole; both tasty, filling and a ■■■■ sight better than tinned stuff, plus it’s all British ingredients. Only downsides are less shelf life (about 6 months as opposed to ages with a tin) and of course whilst the bag is pretty strong you need to be careful how you stow it. Couple of bread rolls to soak the gravy up (or chuck in a small tin of spuds if you’re really hungry) and you’re good to go.

Recommended.

Sidevalve:
I’m out all week at the moment; nothing fancy in my truck just a cool box and a single burner gas stove so bit limited as to self-catering. Usually try and find a cafe to space the inevitable chippies and pizzas out, but I also keep a couple of tinned ready meals in stock just in case I end up in the middle of nowhere; curry in a lorry cab’s not for me so it’s usually Irish stew or something else equally tedious.

Saw these in a local supermarket and thought I’d give them a try;

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/

So far I’ve had the beef meatballs and the Tees Valley beef casserole; both tasty, filling and a ■■■■ sight better than tinned stuff, plus it’s all British ingredients. Only downsides are less shelf life (about 6 months as opposed to ages with a tin) and of course whilst the bag is pretty strong you need to be careful how you stow it. Couple of bread rolls to soak the gravy up (or chuck in a small tin of spuds if you’re really hungry) and you’re good to go.

Recommended.

I must agree, these are very good. Found Sainsburys carry more of a range of them than Tescco

toby1234abc:
Why would an actor from Hollywood ask about truck food, surely Catherine would cook for you ?

Catherines a ■■■■■ and her ■■■■■ is a bit rough these days. Hence…tramping!

Each week, I take a loaf off bread, butter, cheese, ham, a pint off milk, sometimes bacon. I take frozen meals from home, I can get 3 (plastic boxes that Mrs Snax freezes them in)into the freezer draw, that all goes in the fridge freezer. On a weekly basis I also take a couple off Kilos of fruit and a pack off digestive biscuits.

I keep in the truck(stock items) tins off stew, chilli concarni, Baked beans with Sausages(great with a couple off rashers on toast), a tin of potatoes, a tin of peas or mixed veg and rice pudding tinned fruit etc, dried pasta, Microwave rice and Gravy granules. Porridge in winter, cereals in summer. Coffee and Tea bags. All these items I replace as I use them, as opposed to every week.

I have a Microwave and I carry a single burner stove(with a toaster attachment), Kettle, pans, frying pan.

Yet sometimes I still just go and buy grub (transport café style) :unamused:

There was a guy on here during the week talking about being in operation stack. He only had pot noodles and jaffa cakes. Anything more is just showing off to be honest :smiley:

The-Snowman:
There was a guy on here during the week talking about being in operation stack. He only had pot noodles and jaffa cakes. Anything more is just showing off to be honest :smiley:

You can’t knock that for a diet though. Dipping jaffas in pot noodles. Go on then!

I take about 4 packs of diced chicken and store them in the freezer section of my fridge ( brilliant fridge/freezer in the new Volvos) and maybe some pork steaks/chops. Have them with either pasta/ mixed veg or make stir frys or currys with the chicken.Eggs for making omelettes with onion, mixed peppers, cheese and bacon. Got weetabix, porridge oats and Bel Vita biscuits for breakfast, tins of soup and bread for afternoon snacks and the usuall tins of curry, chilli con carne etc.
Got some of the John West tuna snack pots which are nice. Got a double burner stove that runs off a propane cylinder with regulator and a couple of frying pans, grill pan, saucepan etc.

I have the usual big soups/beans and sausages as back up. But recently been taking hardboiled eggs,Wraps instead of bread,jar of salsa and chicken breasts cooked on sundays to make lunches during the week. Lots of fruit,brunch bars and a big bar of chocolate as a treat for the week. brew kit as standard and porridge for breakfast… i may treat myself to a decent meal if i get a decent truckstop/cafe…

I take similar to the above - a couple of Tupperware dinners from the freezer to reheat, tins of soup etc as a backup and visit a supermarket in the evening if I have the opportunity for fresh meat and veg. Take bread rolls, milk and lots of fruit with me at the start of the week. I use a trangia stove with a gas conversion and it just sits out by my side all the time, no need to put it away as the kettle can’t slide off like a normal stove so it’s always there ready for the next brew!

Aren’t you lot posh, I spend 4-5 nights in the truck and my weeks rations are 4-5 Chinese pot noodles I get from the local Chinese C&C, meat snacks from Lidl, bag of Baby bell cheeses, 6 pack of crisps,good supply of chocolate and Nestle 3 in 1 coffee sachets. My fresh stuff is Bananas, Oranges, 4 fresh sandwiches, re-fill water bottles.

I eat my sandwiches on the first two nights out have a pot noodle everyday as a main and have 1 baby bell, 1 meat snack,1 bag of crisps, 1 Banana, 1 Orange and a bar of chocolate through the course of the shift works for me as I travel light, downside of my firm my truck is used by other drivers at weekend so I totally de-kit it every week no biggy all my kit fits in 3 big bags only thing I leave in is my cleaning kit locked away in the only small lockable cupboard Yes I have had cleaning kit robbed in the past (Sad but True).

I have a 24v 300w oven that plugs into the cigar socket. If you can cook it in the oven at home you can cook in this ( as long as it fits)

lasagne, pizza, roast dinner all home made stuff. I wouldn’t be without

I don’t tramp but I can be out a few nights out a week and often at short notice.
I keep the tinned breakfasts and big soups and stuff as emergency food but I also take a home made frozen cottage pie/ chillie/curry/chicken tikka or if I can I treat myself towards the end of the week to kfc or a local chippy.
The Mrs also makes me tubs of chopped fruit, one tub a day, melon, grapes, pineapple passion fruit and strawberries and the like.
Plus my bag of bananas and chocs :wink:
I only use a 12v coolbox so tend to only take two frozen items in at a time.

Drift:
I don’t tramp but I can be out a few nights out a week and often at short notice.
I keep the tinned breakfasts and big soups and stuff as emergency food but I also take a home made frozen cottage pie/ chillie/curry/chicken tikka or if I can I treat myself towards the end of the week to kfc or a local chippy.
The Mrs also makes me tubs of chopped fruit, one tub a day, melon, grapes, pineapple passion fruit and strawberries and the like.

So do those cool boxes keep things frozen? I thought it was just for chilled?

pickandmix:
I have a 24v 300w oven that plugs into the cigar socket. If you can cook it in the oven at home you can cook in this ( as long as it fits) 01 lasagne, pizza, roast dinner all home made stuff. I wouldn’t be without

Wow that looks like a good piece of kit!

Michael Douglas:

Drift:

So do those cool boxes keep things frozen? I thought it was just for chilled?

No, but a couple of chiller blocks (frozen at home) and frozen food it takes longer to thaw, all in the timing, I like my food :laughing:
added to that my chilled drinks in the box also help keep the temp down :wink:
to be honest even when the cooler box is near empty I still sometimes have to use the microwave to defrost my chilli, oh don’t forget the microwave rice :smiley:

Michael Douglas:

pickandmix:
I have a 24v 300w oven that plugs into the cigar socket. If you can cook it in the oven at home you can cook in this ( as long as it fits)

lasagne, pizza, roast dinner all home made stuff. I wouldn’t be without

it is and not mega money either

pickandmix:

Michael Douglas:

pickandmix:
I have a 24v 300w oven that plugs into the cigar socket. If you can cook it in the oven at home you can cook in this ( as long as it fits) 01 lasagne, pizza, roast dinner all home made stuff. I wouldn’t be without

0it is and not mega money either

I may have to look at one to get my Gordon Ramsey on!