Tramping food stuffs

Drift:

Michael Douglas:

Drift:
I don’t tramp but I can be out a few nights out a week and often at short notice.
I keep the tinned breakfasts and big soups and stuff as emergency food but I also take a home made frozen cottage pie/ chillie/curry/chicken tikka or if I can I treat myself towards the end of the week to kfc or a local chippy.
The Mrs also makes me tubs of chopped fruit, one tub a day, melon, grapes, pineapple passion fruit and strawberries and the like.
Plus my bag of bananas and chocs :wink:
I only use a 12v coolbox so tend to only take two frozen items in at a time.

So do those cool boxes keep things frozen? I thought it was just for chilled?

No, but a couple of chiller blocks (frozen at home) and frozen food it takes longer to thaw, all in the timing, I like my food :laughing:
added to that my chilled drinks in the box also help keep the temp down :wink:
to be honest even when the cooler box is near empty I still sometimes have to use the microwave to defrost my chilli, oh don’t forget the microwave rice :smiley:

Eh up Drift, do you leave the cooler (12v) plugged in all night? If so, do you find it drains the battery?

Michael Douglas:

Drift:

Michael Douglas:

Drift:
I don’t tramp but I can be out a few nights out a week and often at short notice.
I keep the tinned breakfasts and big soups and stuff as emergency food but I also take a home made frozen cottage pie/ chillie/curry/chicken tikka or if I can I treat myself towards the end of the week to kfc or a local chippy.
The Mrs also makes me tubs of chopped fruit, one tub a day, melon, grapes, pineapple passion fruit and strawberries and the like.
Plus my bag of bananas and chocs :wink:
I only use a 12v coolbox so tend to only take two frozen items in at a time.

So do those cool boxes keep things frozen? I thought it was just for chilled?

No, but a couple of chiller blocks (frozen at home) and frozen food it takes longer to thaw, all in the timing, I like my food :laughing:
added to that my chilled drinks in the box also help keep the temp down :wink:
to be honest even when the cooler box is near empty I still sometimes have to use the microwave to defrost my chilli, oh don’t forget the microwave rice :smiley:

Eh up Drift, do you leave the cooler (12v) plugged in all night? If so, do you find it drains the battery?

nope, turn it off at night, I find the fan annoys me and it blows a bit of warm air out, it’s only off while I kip so still cool when I wake up. I have read of others leaving them on all the time though. Mine is a mobicool model got if for £45 from a ship chandlers.

I have a 12v cooler from Clas Ohlson, its awesome. I turn it off at night though, don’t like leaving it running plus I only really keep drinks in it.

Radar19:
I have a 12v cooler from Clas Ohlson, its awesome. I turn it off at night though, don’t like leaving it running plus I only really keep drinks in it.

Yeah this is what I plan on doing

Steve McQueen liked ze cooler.

I don’t tramp full time, but do few nights out now & again; usually take a gas stove, small pan & small frying pan; then uncle Ben’s boil in the bag rice, fresh peppers, eggs, cucumber, bottle of low fat dressing, tinned sweetcorn, tinned tuna or sometimes fresh chicken. Boil the rice, with the eggs, cook the chicken, chop it up and everything else, mix it all together, add some dressing - and enjoy - quick, cheap, filling and healthy.

One word of warning about the Mini Ovens be careful were you plug them in, only use the high watt output socket and be weary on older trucks I almost fried the electric on a 56 plate did everything by the book but the wiring was deteriorated so I got away with it.

I’m seriously considering going for a Anderson lead to pure sine wave high output inverter and running a house hold min Microwave off it works out cheaper than a 24v microwave, only thing is I need it portable so I can remove from the truck at weekend, (even gear locked under the bed is not safe if a Muppet totals your truck) and we have a lot of Muppets lol.

I lost £500 worth of gear thanks to someone turning my truck over years ago I won’t be falling for that one again.

I’m thinking of getting myself a slow cooker and run it off my inverter I use for the tv. Get all the ingredients for a nice stew chuck it all in and 6 hours later or whatever it takes a nice pan of ash to get stuck into :smiley:
Could even do as mi dad does and keep topping it up and live off that for the week with a loaf of bread, cheap as chips :wink: