Tramping Essentials

Hi

I have been offered a job tramping 4 out of 5 nights a week and as I have never done tramping before could you please advise me on what i need to take and where to buy these item (like a tramping website?) also what are the pros and cons to doing this kind of work .

thanks

Basically treat as though your camping.
Bedding etc.
A camping stove that comes in case about 15 from. b m asda etc.
Pots pans. Etc
Water container.
Towels shower stuff
Plenty of wet wipes.

Should be enough to get you started over time your figure out what you need

Gas stove
gas for stove
kettle
saucepan
tin opener
wooden spoon
sharp cutting knives
knife , fork , spoon ,tea spoons
cup
plate
tea, coffee,sugar /sweeteners
complete change of clothing for each day your away plus a spare set plus spare socks and underwear
towels (I have at least 4 ) and washing kit , shaving kit , pair of flip flops for the showers
fitted sheet , duvet , pillows and spare covers .
phone chargers and spare ones for all your gadgets
sunglasses
hand gel
paper wipes / roll
if your allowed a basic set of tools , fuses , cable ties - not for major surgery but just enough to get you going or sort it out until you can get it sorted .
basicly if your not filling a small family car with stuff that you need / want / might need or want then you have forgotten something .
oh and food as well

now lets see what everyone else thinks I’ve forgotten / missed out .

I’ll answer this with my stock answer; take absolutely nothing with you. By the end of the first week you’ll have a rough idea as to what you’ll need for the second week.

Imodium tablets

Wet wipes
Floor wipes
Load of wholemeal bread and some sandwich fillers
Cous cous
Quorn
Jelly
Beers
■■■■
Vaper + juices + spare coils+battery
An open mind
Rohypnol
Dwarfs
Lube
Clean genitalia

I realise my overnight bag may be slightly different to everyone else’s.

Dipper_Dave:
Wet wipes
Floor wipes
Cous cous
Quorn
Jelly
Beers
■■■■
An open mind
Rohypnol
Dwarfs
Lube
Clean genitalia
Pretty standard European stuff except Dwarfs

Having settled on your list of items, find a system that suits you. For instance, I used those standard plastic stacking bins to take the stuff to work. Each bin had its own regular list (a kitchen bin, a clothes bin, a bedding bin and a bin for lorry bits like lenses, fuses, tools etc). At arrival to start work I’d stow what I needed in the cab or trailer box then stack the unwanted empty bins in the car. I usually kept a couple of bins in the cab, one in the passenger foot well and one on whichever bunk I wasn’t sleeping in. I stuck to a routine so that everything had its regular place.

That way, no matter how knackered you are and how late at night it is, when you arrive at work you don’t have to think about the domestic stuff. Likewise, when you arrive in the yard at 3:00 in the morning after a fortnight on the road, you can clear the cab for whoever is going to use it next, even if that’s just the shunter or the fitter - nothing worse than losing a bottle of wine tucked in the bunk through the windscreen when the cab is tilted. Routine is everything! :wink: Robert

Search online for one of those medical pish bottles, they cost a couple of quid and are handy when your bladder is bursting in the middle of the night. I find the 2 liter square section ones with a flat bottom best.

Some of the daymen on here are experts on this after reading some of their opinions on trampers and tramping, you should be asking those guys. :bulb:
These are usually…

Suitable weapon for security guard (unpaid :bulb: )duties.

Ear muffs as ‘‘sleeping in a tin box’’ is not as good as sleeping in…‘‘Me own bed’’

Wet wipes (as we never wash with anything else, nor take showers)

Asda bag to crap in…preferably whilst in your ‘‘tin box’’.

Plenty of money to buy your week’s food, Mars bars, pot noodles, cans of coke and Ginster’s pies.

A good knowledge of the most crap places to park, like lay bys,.as none of us ever park where there are facilities apparentlly.
:unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

Depending on how dirty the work is that you do go over board on cleaning stuff. A small dustpan and brush, a few rags, cleaning spray, wet wipes and that kind of thing. Nothing worse than having to live in the dirt all week because you can’t get rid of it.

Think the basics are covered but I’d add a good book and a tablet/laptop with a few films downloaded. These keep the boredom at bay not only when parked up excessively long because you’ve got a late delivery the next day, but for the inevitable long wait when you get there. Boredom is draining and I can only manage so much chatting to that driver who’s apparently done everything and been everywhere.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I’d add - a sheet, duvet and pillow so that you sleep in a proper bed that you wash every week.

Dipper_Dave:
Wet wipes
Floor wipes
Cous cous
Quorn
Jelly
Beers
■■■■
An open mind
Rohypnol
Dwarfs
Lube
Clean genitalia

Dwarfs??!! Lube??!! LOL !!!

robroy:
Some of the daymen on here are experts on this after reading some of their opinions on trampers and tramping, you should be asking those guys. :bulb:
These are usually…

Suitable weapon for security guard (unpaid :bulb: )duties.

Ear muffs as ‘‘sleeping in a tin box’’ is not as good as sleeping in…‘‘Me own bed’’

Wet wipes (as we never wash with anything else, nor take showers)

Asda bag to crap in…preferably whilst in your ‘‘tin box’’.

Plenty of money to buy your week’s food, Mars bars, pot noodles, cans of coke and Ginster’s pies.

A good knowledge of the most crap places to park, like lay bys,.as none of us ever park where there are facilities apparentlly.
:unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

This is funny :smiley:

My day bag I use for my recent nights out in Scotland, has in it a duvet, 2 pillows, a flat sheet, a single fitted sheet, a towel, wash kit inc a pair of crocs, shower gel, deodorant, can of shaving cream, a couple of disposable razors. A change of Clothes (socks, underwear, trousers, shorts, and clean shirts.
I have a 32 ltr plastic box that holds, my stove, kettle, cutlery, tea bags/coffee, cup, breakfast cereal, 1 ltr of UHT milk, and various snacks. I also carry a 2 gallon plastic jerry can of water, due to the dead flies on the screen most of it ends up in the screen wash bottle.
Fresh milk, food and drinks go in the coolbox.

Lump hammer, off-cut roll of carpet, cable ties.

eagerbeaver:
Lump hammer, off-cut roll of carpet, cable ties.

Ffs beaver your slacking you forgot the tape if your forget the cable ties and also a bit of rag to stuff in there mouth to keep the screams down :laughing:

Hahaha great feed back guys thanks…

im looking at buying two 20 litre jerry cans for water or is that to much?.. but where to put them maybe cable tie them to the unit or leave them in the passenger footwell ?

I’d say…just one.
Where you put it,depends on what motor you drive.