Trampers - Whats your choice of best truck to live in?

Ive just spent my 8th night in a 2008 daf xf 510. No fridge, 3 overhead lockers, under bunk storage space is taken up by the exterior bins, and the interior is filthy! Its got 3 hepititus ridden household floor mats on the floor, mud and dust everywhere. Ive been dreaming of the day I i can get back, plug in a hoover and detol the hell out of it! Ive ordered some taylored mats off eBay for it, a 24v fridge, inverter and 600w microwave. Im taking the matress home with me and going to give the cilit bang treatment. i got a pack of dash wipes and air freshener thats helped a bit, but im sick of having a wash, going to bed and getting up minging again!. the pull out tray is handy, my little gas cooker fits on it nicely, and with the sunroof open I can let the steam out :slight_smile:
The plastics ate beige coloured, I think ot is supposed to be that colour, unless it was silver and is tobacco stained :-S
this is my first hgv job, I didn’t want to moan about the state of the cab, I just wanted to prove myself. Id happily sacrifice a good day disinfecting the lot!

The mega space Merc I’ve got is definitely the best truck I’ve tramped in endex

mattcollin:

switchlogic:
Well in terms of nights out I’m not sure anyone can beat me! I’ve been living full time in a Scania for nearly 4 years and I’ve not gone mad! What I want is a truck that is great to drive and good to live in and that’s the Scania. I’ve driven all makes and overnighted in most of them and from a driving point of view I’d take a Scania over anything any day. I’m talking well specced Scania now, retarder, comfy seat, proper auto etc. As for living in yes I’d say the DAF would beat the Scania, but from a driving point of view it doesn’t come close. I lived in a DAF for over a year at HSF, a good truck but it just doesn’t compare to the Scania when rolling.

I know their is a Scania bashing club on here and I myself didn’t like them much before I came to Virginia but now I don’t care if I never drive another truck again. All round I just think they are the best by far.

Sooo…true Luke, King of the road in so many ways, Volvo close 2nd IMHO :smiley:

How are the studies going :question:

Well, I’ve quite dramatically changed my mind since I wrote that! Funny to see old posts sometimes!

^^

I thought the same when I re-read it :smiley:

Spent the last ten years plus in two merc magas and two magnums.
Merc has it for storage space but willing to sacrifice that for the swivel seat and blinds in me maggy, blinds are better for keeping clean and tidy.

Maggy has the office cab with a table down stairs, may have to get table cloth and a flower pot! joking aside for preping food and cooking this is ace.

Current maggy is 07 and the insulation is better, the 04 one was [zb] cold in the winter. Storage is also far better i the latter maggy.

Such a shame the Jerry’s won’t let us have the actros solo star in right hand drive.

My best truck for living space was a 2005 Freightliner Columbia. You could stand up and walk around inside the cab but it was like driving a ERF or Foden from the 1980,s. I was in Canada at the time!

currently in a MAN high top.with a fridge.its the best lorry ive ever had…I think I`m becoming cab happy. :cry:

switchlogic:
Well, I’ve quite dramatically changed my mind since I wrote that! Funny to see old posts sometimes!

Have you finally gone mad then? :smiley:

its the stralis for living in more practical space than any other truck I have driven :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

The man roadhaus rigid I had took some beating, but the actros does it for me. I’ve had scanias, dafs and Renaults also but the actros is good for space and to tramp in :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Not a tramper but have had a night out in a few trucks before

Scania V8 Topline Griffin has to be the best, great engine, the retarder works and the interior is great. Leather seats, extendable bunk, loads of storage kitted out with fridge, microwave and coffee machine. (I think it was the only one that was plain white without peek a boos and stickers everywhere reminding everyone what you were driving :slight_smile:)

2nd would be Volvo

Scania topline V8 one of the most comfy bed Iv been on :slight_smile:

Daf bed/bunks take some beating :smiley: :smiley:

There has been lots of threads about trucks in general but I’ve not seen one based on which truck is the best to live out of.

So what’s your favourite? Is it a Topliner, Volvo FH or something else?

And what made that truck much easier and better to tramp in for creature comforts?

I think the place I was most happy in when not driving was a 2006 Iveco Stralis Active Space3.

It was huge, easy to move around, kitted out etc.

Shame they’re not the best driving truck.

waynedl:
I think the place I was most happy in when not driving was a 2006 Iveco Stralis Active Space3.

It was huge, easy to move around, kitted out etc.

Shame they’re not the best driving truck.

You know what I’ve heard that loads of times about the Stralis - I like em because as you say they have loads of room and storage.

As i’m now on my 95th successive night-out this year, I can definitely recommend the DAF XF105 SSC!

gb1:
As i’m now on my 95th successive night-out this year, I can definitely recommend the DAF XF105 SSC!

Whys that gb1 what makes it so good :slight_smile: