Trampers - Carrying Water?

My gear is slowly getting there, unfortunately i’ve had to work out a way to get it all organised in a few boxes, so it can be transferred out every time I come back to the yard. Never seem to be in the same truck all the time, and i’d be in a big mess if I left my gear in and someone else took the truck out.

Assuming some of you don’t overnight in truck stops every night, but still like to have a half decent wash, what do you use to carry water in and how much do you carry. Up to now i’ve been using one of those 5 litre water bottles but after a few weeks, it has got rather manky inside (I refill it and rinse it out everytime i’m home, but it builds up a kind of film inside), and i’m dubious about drinking the water.

Was wondering what the rest of you use?

If you have any links to decent containers you’ve bought, that would be good too.

Thanks

wet wipes!

I use a couple of those 5ltr bottles.
When I get home on the weekend I just stick some washing up liquid and water in both of them, give em a good shake and leave them for a day to soak, then give em a good rinse.

dad uses this for carrying water, quite usefull and easy to clean (never bought off this site just an example :slight_smile: )
wavianassociates.com/800gm-p … s-44-p.asp

You can buy tablets for sterilizing babies bottles, they will keep them clean and safe to drink out of.

Stick the pressure washer in it that solves that problem. I have a large 20 litre on strapped to catwalk. I often drink the water from in, and it’s filled in petrol stations all over Europe and it’s not harmed me yet!

I buy the basic 2l table water bottles available from most supermarkets, 13 - 18p each and gives you something to pee in at night when caught short.

phantom309:
dad uses this for carrying water, quite usefull and easy to clean (never bought off this site just an example :slight_smile: )

ive got one the same but without the tap and ive had it for years and never clean inside it. :laughing:

You could try a baby’s bottle brush to clean the inside, it won’t be long enough handle but you can unwind a wire coat hanger & fix it onto the handle so it will reach, or if you are near a farm suppliers shop call in they may have one already on a long wire handle for cleaning the bulk tank pipes in the dairies. :smiley:

You can get those jerry cans and some sterilising tabs(Aquatabs are one, you can get a powder version of this aswell i think) or liquid, or you can just get some stuff that will clean it. Caravan stores sell them and they shouldnt be too expensive, cant remember how much they are where i work.
If you go to a caravan shop they will have some stuf you can use to wash out the container every so often

schrodingers cat:
I buy the basic 2l table water bottles available from most supermarkets, 13 - 18p each and gives you something to pee in at night when caught short.

Likewise and it doesnt fill ur kettle full of limescale either. I just don’t do the latter of the above mentioned post!

put a bit of milton in it or milton sterilizing tablets.

I carry my water in my bladder :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

A few table spoons of Baking Soda, fill it to the top and leave it 24 hrs, jobs a good un.

Sugar Ray:
A few table spoons of Baking Soda, fill it to the top and leave it 24 hrs, jobs a good un.

me too.

stopped at wetherby services to fill my bottles,
£1 to get water out a pump ,
bad language an a few kicks at the machine.
robbing barstewards.
an no i didnt waste a £.

i use the 5 litre bottles out the supermarket, when it gets grotty bin it and get a new one, they’re only about 90p so its hardly worth buying sterilising tablets

jessicas dad:

phantom309:

ive got one the same but without the tap and ive had it for years and never clean inside it. :laughing:

Mine’s same Alex. Although mine’s got a tap of it. Got it from that camping place at the top of the hill on Selby Road just after Kippax turn when you’ve come through Garforth. Was really cheap.

I use one of those collapsable water “bladders” it holds 15 litres and cost me £1 from poundland. I’ve gone through about 3 in a year but at that price I’m not bothered, as has been said a baby bottle sterilising tablet keeps it nice and clean and to drink out of its fine (and I’m a bit fussy!)

Alex

I just buy half a dozen 1.5 litre bottled water in France. Crystalline is much cheaper than Evian and then just top up the bottles in taps at toilets or fuel stations all over Europe, you get a free ■■■■ bottle in every pack. I have drunk tap water all over Europe Asia and Africa and never suffered a problem. And if you want to wash your arse go to a car boot sale and get three packs of wetwipes for a quid