Training to be a transport manager. national shortage?

Was pondering on tinternet an thought I will look into getting a o licence. So I did some investigations and found that you need to be a transport manager cpc qualified. So I phoned a training centre and the man explained that you can be a external transport manager working for 4 firms doing 2 hours a week for all of them. Making good money he then said you can earn up to 50k as one . He said the course is hard and has a 40% pass rate equivalent to a a level. Debating weather to study for this or get my class 1 licence. This sounds more promising

Can people shed some light on this?

Sounds to me like he’s simply touting for business, I did my cpc 20 odd years ago and it was relatively straight forward if you had half a brain, if anyone wants a part time transport manager drop me a line as I’d happily work a couple of hours a week for 4 or 5 outfits or I’d even do a proper job of it for them

I’m on my second week of the course at the moment and can confirm its not easy at all. The book we are learning from is 1000 pages and is not just UK, like it used to be, it’s also international. He’s also right in saying the pass rate is only 40%.

However he is wrong when he says 2 hrs each. This will vary on the amount of trucks the company has.

What you have to bare in mind is that it’s a massive responsibility and if things go wrong then the buck will stop with you as you have to sign a legal document saying you take control of the transport and drivers.

My advice to you would be to do class 1 first then look at it a few years down the line with some driving experience behind you.

I’ve been driving trucks for 20 years and I’m finding it hard going but at least I have some knowledge to begin with.

Coolrider:
I’m on my second week of the course at the moment and can confirm its not easy at all. The book we are learning from is 1000 pages and is not just UK, like it used to be, it’s also international. He’s also right in saying the pass rate is only 40%.

However he is wrong when he says 2 hrs each. This will vary on the amount of trucks the company has.

What you have to bare in mind is that it’s a massive responsibility and if things go wrong then the buck will stop with you as you have to sign a legal document saying you take control of the transport and drivers.

My advice to you would be to do class 1 first then look at it a few years down the line with some driving experience behind you.

I’ve been driving trucks for 20 years and I’m finding it hard going but at least I have some knowledge to begin with.

Spot on there Cool,
I passed mine last year, but had Class 1 since 1985
It is no stroll in the park, you have to give it serious commitment

I did look at local jobs in the Kent area and many advertising for transport managers and assistant managers. I think your right I need to do at least 2 years on the class 1 to get experience I could buy the book for £410 pounds :open_mouth: :open_mouth: and learn it on nights out ready for the exam Sounds like it’s a qualification that’s handy also if you want to progress to a o licence. With so much sent online there is more need for transport?

I did mine early 90’s only because I got it for free because the training company did the course. The reason they offered it free was they wanted me to learn it back to front so I could take classes in future.
I would not say it was hard but it is just the fact you have to remember so many facts and figures. If you have a poor memory I would forget it.
Suppose it is worth having and being a transport manager could be more rewarding than being a driver. All depends what type of work you prefer. If you do not mind being stuck in an office and getting abuse from a bunch of stroppy drivers then it is the job for you. Personally from what I know now I would stay away from transport all together.

albion1971:
I did mine early 90’s only because I got it for free because the training company did the course. The reason they offered it free was they wanted me to learn it back to front so I could take classes in future.
I would not say it was hard but it is just the fact you have to remember so many facts and figures. If you have a poor memory I would forget it.
Suppose it is worth having and being a transport manager could be more rewarding than being a driver. All depends what type of work you prefer. If you do not mind being stuck in an office and getting abuse from a bunch of stroppy drivers then it is the job for you. Personally from what I know now I would stay away from transport all together.

I think you’ll find it’s changed quite a bit since the early 90s.

I’m no fool, I won’t go into my background before transport on here but put it this way I worked up the ranks taking exams and it’s one of the hardest I’ve seen.

Yes I am sure it has changed. It changes every year but surely it is still all about remembering facts and figures or has something else changed?

Don’t listen to the horror stories.
If you want an office job as an assistant TM for 25k for few years. Then work up in management get it cracked.
If you wanna drive then do class 1.

I passed it two year ago and had never stepped foot in a wagon.
I ain’t a graduate and left school at 15 without a GCSE.
I passed both exams first time.
Its a lot of information to take in over two weeks.
They give you a book with the bank of questions like doing any multi guess exam. Learn it parrot fashion.
The written test is a lot harder but all the answers are in your book that you take into the exams with you.
As long as you know your manual they give you and where to find specific areas in the book it ain’t that bad.

By the way mate it was harder 15 or 20 years ago as you couldn’t take your books or manuals into the exams.
You had to know all the information in your brain not referring to a book for a guide.

Coolrider:

I’ve just booked mine with the RHA beginning in Feb. Who are you doing yours with??

Themoocher:
Don’t listen to the horror stories.
If you want an office job as an assistant TM for 25k for few years. Then work up in management get it cracked.
If you wanna drive then do class 1.

I passed it two year ago and had never stepped foot in a wagon.
I ain’t a graduate and left school at 15 without a GCSE.
I passed both exams first time.
Its a lot of information to take in over two weeks.
They give you a book with the bank of questions like doing any multi guess exam. Learn it parrot fashion.
The written test is a lot harder but all the answers are in your book that you take into the exams with you.
As long as you know your manual they give you and where to find specific areas in the book it ain’t that bad.

You obviously did yours through OCR then, first part multiple answers.

I’m doing mine through CILT. No multi choice all questions all are written.

By the way mate it was harder 15 or 20 years ago as you couldn’t take your books or manuals into the exams.
You had to know all the information in your brain not referring to a book for a guide.

No multiple choice answers on this one, just written answers. Doing mine through CILT not OCR

So for all of you doing your exams is it worth it can you get work once you have it.
Or is your chant doing it do you need to work as a trainee first. I

albion1971:
Yes I am sure it has changed. It changes every year but surely it is still all about remembering facts and figures or has something else changed?

It isn’t so much of a memory test now because the second exam is ‘open book’ and you can take your books into the exam. it is more about knowing where to find the information which in reality is what a TM would do in real life.

The exams are ‘A’ level standard/equivalent so can be quite tricky

Has anyone used elearnuk for courses? I see they offer a home study Transport Management course for £150. Obviously its not the same as the operator CPC, but was wondering if it would maybe be worth doing before hand as a cheap tester and provide some basic background knowledge?

I could buy the book for £410 pounds

Who’s your dealer?! The home study book can be bought through the RHA website for £169 - even cheaper alternatives seem to be available, but I’m not sure of the legitimacy or quality of standard of these cheaper options?

Digit369:
So for all of you doing your exams is it worth it can you get work once you have it.
Or is your chant doing it do you need to work as a trainee first. I

I wouldn’t say a trainee.
You would prob get a job assisting a TM.
I had a job as a Tranpsort Co-Ordinator without the ticket.
Then co paid for me todo the ticket.
I was on 25k plus 3.5k car allowance.
I wouldn’t personally do those part time TM for 3 or 4 companies doing free lancing.
To much that can go wrong and you be hung out to dry especially with someone with not much haulage experience.

Coolrider:

And that highlighted bit is why it’s a bad idea to act as TM for a lot of companies who often have a cavalier attitude towards the rules and regs. If they ■■■■ up then it’s YOU that ends up inside doing time, not them. You have to ask yourself WHY do they want an external TM :bulb: . Yes in a lot of cases it’ll be because they’re too thick to pass the exam, but then you should be asking yourself if they’re too thick to pass the exam then should they really be in business in the first place. :bulb:

I had a quick gander at this for myself just recently more out of curiosity than anything else, the stumbling block that I noticed was that all (and I mean all) of the job adverts that I saw for TM’s asked for at least 2 years experience, that was the first stumbling block the second stumbling block is that I am as thick as ■■■■.

Being an external TM can be rewarding if you pick your customers carefully.

The best ones are restricted licence holders. They NEED your help because they’re busy doing their thing and tend to do what you say and follow your rules. Of course drivers are drivers wherever so you may have good or bad.

There is a limit to 5 (I think) companies - but get the right ones and it’s a good living. I have one restricted licence holder with over 20 vehicles that I am in the process of handing over to their own TM having ‘trained’ him up to the position. Ok I’ve lost the job but it ‘was’ a good earner and they introduced me to other companies. I like restricted licenceolders

I am maybe fortunate because as well as the TM bit I can also deliver the required training for DCPC so that gives the ability to let the drivers know what you want from them.

Also remember as an external TM you aren’t usually expected to do the actual day to day planning and issuing of work etc a lot of T,s do. I have always argued a TMs job is compliance - not planning. The new Senio Traffic Commissioners Statutory document for TMs now lists a TMs duties and what is expected (including working hours). Interesting reading.

Don’t think there’s a storage of people with CPC in transport management, I’m guessing there’s plenty of us on here that have it.

Did my 11 years without any knowledge of the road haulage industry, at the time I think the cost was £440, company where i worked was closing the factory down so they paid for it as re-training.
Back then the exam was 2 or 3 multi choice tests in the morning then the afternoon exam was a case scenario, this exam I remember being quite difficult.
Never used the cpc, however with being on the course meant I was able to get a local logistics co to pay for most of hgv training so it helped in another way.

shep532:
Being an external TM can be rewarding if you pick your customers carefully.

The best ones are restricted licence holders. They NEED your help because they’re busy doing their thing and tend to do what you say and follow your rules. Of course drivers are drivers wherever so you may have good or bad.

There is a limit to 5 (I think) companies - but get the right ones and it’s a good living. I have one restricted licence holder with over 20 vehicles that I am in the process of handing over to their own TM having ‘trained’ him up to the position. Ok I’ve lost the job but it ‘was’ a good earner and they introduced me to other companies. I like restricted licenceolders

I am maybe fortunate because as well as the TM bit I can also deliver the required training for DCPC so that gives the ability to let the drivers know what you

Also remember as an external TM you aren’t usually expected to do the actual day to day planning and issuing of work etc a lot of T,s do. I have always argued a TMs job is compliance - not planning. The new Senio Traffic Commissioners Statutory document for TMs now lists a TMs duties and what is expected (including working hours). Interesting reading.

It’s now a maximum of 4 companies and you have to sign a legal document confirming your responsible for all transport matter. Not planning though