Training to be a transport manager. national shortage?

As an external Transport Manager you can work for a maximum of four operators and can supervise no more than 50 vehicles in total.

When an application is made to the TC, you’ll be expected to show how you will achieve these minimum amounts of hands-on supervision of the company you work for:

2 or less vehicles - 8hrs per week
3-5 vehicles - 15hrs per week
6-10 vehicles - 20hrs per week
11-14 vehicles - 25hrs per week
15-29 vehicles - full time
30+ vehicles - full time + an additional assistant

Making a living as a consultant CPC holder is about finished now…

Delegated Authority Applications Where the starting point is met and there is no
other relevant adverse information (see Determining Factors below) the decision
may be determined under delegated authority in accordance with existing
delegations. Proposals which do not meet these guidelines must be referred to the
relevant traffic commissioner for a decision.
Motor Vehicles Proposed Hours (per week)
2 or less 8
3 to 5 15
6 to 10 20
11 to 14 25
15 to 29 Full time
30 and above (Full Time) Additional assistance
required
Additional hours may be required for trailers.
In respect of total hours traffic commissioners will be aware that the road transport
working time legislation limits the average working week to 48 hours over a given
reference period with no week within that reference period being over 60 hours. The
horizontal working time legislation (non-EU regulated mobile workers) requires that
adequate rest be undertaken each week.
Other factors the matters set out in the following table might assist the traffic
commissioner in making a decision on whether to go up or down from the starting
points described above.

These are the current levels for external TM’s.

so can you find work out there that will take you on surely it will be hard to find 4 in one area. i have seen lots advertising in london.

You are either well known in your area as an external TM,or sign up to an agency. Plenty advertise in the Trucking Mag’s.

thanks dave is trucking pay enhahnced on weekends like sundays i over heard a driver saying he got £28 perhour for sundays can this be true. i have been class 2 for 1 year. has the tm cpc changed over the few years for example the rule of operaters needing a tm

Digit369:
thanks dave is trucking pay enhahnced on weekends like sundays i over heard a driver saying he got £28 perhour for sundays can this be true. i have been class 2 for 1 year. has the tm cpc changed over the few years for example the rule of operaters needing a tm

An external TM is needed for hire and reward operators who have no CPC of their own. This applies to Standard National operators, also International operators. What you charge is up to you, usually so much a month for the first vehicle, then so much for each additional vehicle. You can find the rates via a search engine on your PC.

Digit369:

Unlikely. Possible if for one of the supermarkets in the run up to Christmas and they were really desperate but the rest of the time, nope.

Dave the Renegade:
Delegated Authority Applications Where the starting point is met and there is no
delegations. Proposals which do not meet these guidelines must be referred to the
2 or less 8
3 to 5 15
6 to 10 20
11 to 14 25
15 to 29 Full time
required
In respect of total hours traffic commissioners will be aware that the road transport
working time legislation limits the average working week to 48 hours over a given
reference period with no week within that reference period being over 60 hours. The
horizontal working time legislation (non-EU regulated mobile workers) requires that
Other factors the matters set out in the following table might assist the traffic
points described above.

The numbers quoted above are out of date as of 04/01/2016. They like moving the goal posts but don’t like telling people.

Can’t be bothered typing them out check page 19 here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/483043/stat-doc-3-transport-managers.pdf

shep532:

Dave the Renegade:
2 or less 8
3 to 5 15
6 to 10 20
11 to 14 25
15 to 29 Full time
required
points described above.

The numbers quoted above are out of date as of 04/01/2016. They like moving the goal posts but don’t like telling people.

Can’t be bothered typing them out check page 19 here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/483043/stat-doc-3-transport-managers.pdf

Copied and pasted off Beverly Bell Version 3 Issued: 14.12.15.

ANNEX 1: STARTING POINT FOR ASSESSING THE CAPACITY TO
EXERCISE CONTINUOUS AND EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT
SUBMISSIONS
Starting point The guidelines below refer to starting points only and give indicative
weekly hours of work which might be specified by a transport manager but the traffic
commissioner will consider all relevant factors in determining whether the starting
points should be departed from. The level of hours required for any other
employment, self employment or activities in which the proposed transport manager
is engaged must also be taken into account as they may restrict their ability to
devote sufficient time to the duties of a transport manager on any operator’s licence.
other relevant adverse information (see ‘Determining Factors’ below) the decision
relevant traffic commissioner for a decision. Once granted, direct replacements
equating to the same commitment need not be referred to the traffic commissioner
unless there is a current compliance issue.
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY
The suggested amounts of time are a starting point as to what traffic commissioners
might expect in terms of hours worked. They are intended as a prompt to
operators/applicants and the nominated CPC holder to discuss what time is actually
required to carry out the duties suggested at paragraph 49 above.
2 or less 2-4
3 to 5 4-8
6 to 10 8-12
11 to 14 12-20
15 to 29 20-30
30 to 50 30-Full Time
Above 50 Full Time and additional assistance
required
‘adequate rest’ be undertaken each week.

Is it poss to do a home study pack and then book the exams online and turn up on the day or do you have to do a course with a training provider?

Boris1971:
Is it poss to do a home study pack and then book the exams online and turn up on the day or do you have to do a course with a training provider?

Yes it is - & no you don’t :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Passed my National CPC in 2005 and the paperwork then was the thickness of a brick and certainly wasnt easy, involved a lot of study. The latest CPC with International included, I would think would be even more difficult to gain a pass. It certainly is advantageous to have a sound knowledge of Transport prior to sitting the CPC exam.

When I did mine as a full time residential course (paid for by my employer) I would say the half the ‘students’ weren’t taking it seriously. They were in the bar 'till late every night while the rest of us were studying. My guess was that, either they were on some government scheme, so didn’t care, or had pretty much given up when they saw what they were going to have to learn.

This may account for the low pass rate.