Training Providers

Hello to all,
I’m embarking on my new career as a “trucker” and really would appreciate some advise on a decent training school, i’ve looked on here for the recommended schools and there are three listed for my area (gloucestershire & Birmingham). scania (bristol), somax (bristol) c&g (swindon)
I’m leaning towards scania but its just down to the name i think, so if anyone has had training with any of the above i would really appreciate any info.

I very nearly fell into the “sterling/qualitas/■■?/■■?” money pit !, but after reading up on them the list of people ripped off seemed to be never ending, and due to that i’m very wary now of who parts me of my hard earned.

thanks…

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome mudmad :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum

You could try putting search terms into the ‘search this forum’ and see what is brings up.
Try ‘scania experience’ for example…

I would recomend J Coates who have offices in Cov and Birmingham.

Do not be fooled by the name make sure you check them out properly. Just because they are a manufacturer does not mean you are going to be training on a new motor. I think Coates have newer trucks than scania?

Thaks chaps,
i had already looked in the recommended section, but i was hoping for someone who had used one of them to give me some info on there experience with them.

I have just looked at j coates website and requested some more info from them, i would definitely prefer to travel that little bit further or pay that little bit more if the school comes recommended by someone who’s used them.

the internet is a wonderful thing but you type in hgv training in google, and mostly all you get is fantastic deals offering unbeatable deals like class C & C+E and all for a grand or so ! ! !, you guys have no idea how close i came to parting with my money to one of these…i’m talking minutes…i was on the phone bank card in hand when the better half unplugs the phone and says come and read this !. this site and a certain other site i’m sure we have all seen are worth there weight in gold.

The majority of schools listed in the recommended by members post have said about the same thing

Good instructor, good training, fair price and good management.

I don’t think much would be gained by finding the posts on this site that give that personal experience from where the recommendation was taken.

Some have more recommendations than others but that might be just because not as many members have trained with another.

I can recommend J Coates as well. Did my Class1 with them and have nothing but high praise for the instructors. Not the cheapest mind but you get what you pay for.

mudmad:
Hello to all,
I’m embarking on my new career as a “trucker” and really would appreciate some advise on a decent training school, i’ve looked on here for the recommended schools and there are three listed for my area (gloucestershire & Birmingham). scania (bristol), somax (bristol) c&g (swindon)
I’m leaning towards scania but its just down to the name i think, so if anyone has had training with any of the above i would really appreciate any info.

thanks…

Hi mudmad

Welcome :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: If you want to drive a Scania check out this link http://www.dataacademy.co.uk/open-day we are not local to you so you may not want to book your training with us, but you are more than welcome to come along and have a drive in a Scania, just call monday and we will book you in.

mudmad:
Thaks chaps,
i had already looked in the recommended section, but i was hoping for someone who had used one of them to give me some info on there experience with them.

I have just looked at j coates website and requested some more info from them, i would definitely prefer to travel that little bit further or pay that little bit more if the school comes recommended by someone who’s used them.

the internet is a wonderful thing but you type in hgv training in google, and mostly all you get is fantastic deals offering unbeatable deals like class C & C+E and all for a grand or so ! ! !, you guys have no idea how close i came to parting with my money to one of these…i’m talking minutes…i was on the phone bank card in hand when the better half unplugs the phone and says come and read this !. this site and a certain other site i’m sure we have all seen are worth there weight in gold.

You could always ring the three company’s, and ask for an assessment with them. That way you get the feel of the company, the vehicles and the instructors. Once you get there, have a good look around, see what facilities they offer, ask for ex trainees recommendations, see if your kept waiting around, or if you are looked after appropriately.(SP) I know of a well known training school on the list of recomendations that double booked someones assessment, they kept the trainee waiting for approx 30 mins without informing him what had happened. He was in there office and kicked off after 30 mins waiting to be given just an apology and a re booking of his assessment. Needless to say, he didn’t bother going back and took his training elsewhere! Good luck with who ever you choose, and don’t forget to give feedback on here, it’s always appreciated, either good or bad.

thanks for all your replies,
i shall be arranging visits to a few places this week, i have my theory booked for the 24th so i really need to find somewhere soon. a friend of mine who passed last year has recommended a place called phil brown lgv training in droitwich, anyone ever had dealings with them ?. Anyway chaps i shall update this week when i’ve been to see a few places.

H’mm…Can’t say i’ve heard of them, they may be very good…let’s hope the trainers are better than their I.T. staff, the site has several gramatical (SP) errors… :open_mouth: Not that i can talk… :blush:

instructorone:
H’mm…Can’t say i’ve heard of them, they may be very good…let’s hope the trainers are better than their I.T. staff, the site has several gramatical (SP) errors… :open_mouth: Not that i can talk… :blush:

Evening all,
i can now confirm that i passed :smiley: cat c first time with only 3 minors :exclamation: with phil brown lgv, overall the training was good, i had my assessment drive on the Friday, he got me straight in for lessons starting on the Monday with a test for Thursday, the only part i was not happy with was when i went for my assessment drive i was quoted for 3 hrs a day, but during the training i was only getting 2 1/2 hrs, but overall i was satisfied .

I’m currently waiting for my licence to come back from dvla so i can progress onto CE.

well done mate you one of the select few so don’t tell anyone as there all want to be a truck drivers :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley:

Wooooooohoooooooo finally passed CE first time with no minors . dunno how i managed that .
but gotta be honest that seems to be the easy bit because gettin a job is the same old story…experence…er…no . Thanks goodbye . so it looks like puttin it in the draw for a year an then lie ! .

Hi mudmad, I’d just like to say:
:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your “C” and “C+E” tests :smiley: :smiley:

Those were very good scores too mate, nice one!!

:smiley: :smiley:

Passing C & C+E within 3 weeks is quite some achievement

well done mate on passing C+E, don’t mothball you licence in the draw give your self a chance as we have seen on here newbee’s are getting jobs :slight_smile:

delboytwo:
we have seen on here newbee’s are getting jobs

SEE HERE

I’m getting really frustrated with training companies at the moment.

I’m based in Oxford and would travel to train with the right one.

They all seem pretty sub par. And offer none of the training that a new
driver needs to gain to drive. Oh yes we’ll address the DSA test they say, but
ask for the necessary range of reversing manoeuvers and you get a vague
answer that its extra training at extra cost after the DSA test is taken.

Give me class room time. No we dish out random comments whilst you
are engaged driving.

I have no confidence in these companies to train me to drive class 2
vehicles. Can anyone recommened and give reasons to choose
any particular training companies?

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Mr.Tickle :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum