Training: 1 on 1 or 2 to 1?

Just wondering what are the pros and cons of one on one training as opposed to two to one. Which has the highest pass rate? :question: :question: :question:

THIS LINK may be useful when deciding whether to go for 1 to 1 (half day single) or 2 to 1 (all day shared) training

I’ve done 2 learners in the cab, and it does have advantages in my view. You get to watch what the other learner is doing, and really listen to the instructor. In a 1 on 1 situation, you’re having to listen to the instructor, drive, keep an eye out for nutters, and try and understand everything that’s going on. And that is very tiring. You end up not doing much more driving because you need to stop to talk things through over a calming cuppa.
4.5 to 5 hours in the hot seat, is what you get 1 on 1, and I got 4 in the hot seat in a 2 on 1 situation, plus the other 4 listening and watching, and calming down with a cool coke from my bag at the same time.

1 to 1 for ARTIC training is OK IF you have a few months experience of driving rigids.

Quite a few can even do ALL-DAY of 1 to 1 on ARTIC as it can be broken up with reversing practice again, IF you have a few months experience of driving rigids.

I did a mixture of both

First 2 days were on a 1 - 1 basis the rest was on a 1-2 basis

Both were useful in there own way

The first 2 days were spent learning about the truck, gears, use of mirrors etc

The rest of the days were on a 1-2 basis which was useful as you can learn from other peoples mistakes and also your own we still got to drive the same amount of time

So if you can do a mixture of both then I would suggest that

Thanks for all your opinions. My last training was 1 on 1 and found it difficult but finding someone in Wirral who does 2 to 1 is impossible. My new instructor also only works on a 1 on 1 basis. Bit limited for choice as someone else is paying for my training.

I did 1-1 training on Rigid and Artic, found it good for me personally, maybe 2-1 would be easier for nervous people or those that find a whole day with the focus solely on them difficult as it’s shared between 2 then.

Warren T. Claim:
Thanks for all your opinions. My last training was 1 on 1 and found it difficult but finding someone in Wirral who does 2 to 1 is impossible. My new instructor also only works on a 1 on 1 basis. Bit limited for choice as someone else is paying for my training.

A lot of training schools cannot do 2 to 1 as they do not have (or will not pay for) the 3rd seat to be installed to allow them to offer that option.

Most of those will tell you that 1 to 1 is best - I wonder why…

I counted myself lucky because when I did my class C, the other chap didn’t show up for personal reasons so I paid for 2-1 and got 1-1. Also, I’m a big lad at 6’2" and I really didn’t want to sit in that awful middle seat with no legroom (old volvo, massive dashboard) squeezed between my rather round instructor and another student!

That was back in June and I’ve had quite a bit of class 2 work since. I wonder though if it’s best for me to go 2-1 when I do my artic course, which I hope to do fairly soon…

How much road time experience have you had so far on C :question:

mmm, been a bit sporadic, but at least four months worth of full time (5 day/week) driving. Should hopefully have another permenant job soon though, working on agency at the moment driving all sorts of whacky class 2’s.

manowar:
mmm, been a bit sporadic, but at least four months worth of full time (5 day/week) driving. Should hopefully have another permenant job soon though, working on agency at the moment driving all sorts of whacky class 2’s.

Thats plenty :smiley:

If your ARTIC (not W&D) training is broken up with reversing during the day then 1 to 1 all-day should be OK.

ARTIC (not W&D) :question: :question: :exclamation: - train in the type of vehicle you are likely to be driving

the good old 1-to-1 or 2-to-1 debate. Firstly though let’s get a few things straight. Companies offering 2-to-1 generate more profit, this is the only reason it’s so popular. If some could fit 3-to-1 in the cab I’m positive they would.

Our company offers both 2-to-1 and 1-to-1
We have found the passrate with 2 trainees can match with 1-to-1 but only if the course is 7 to 10 days. In my opinion anyone taking a 4 or 5 day 2-to-1 driving course to take them from a novice to a truck driver is being taken for a ride. You just aren’t going to find it easy to pass.

It doesn’t matter whether your learning to drive or play the piano, one on one gets better results. The reasons for doing 2-to-1 is all profit related.

Sure one to one can be tiring, but when it’s properly structured it is not a problem.
Two to one is not perfect either, two people of different abilities can cause problems, the instructor won’t be able to concentrate so easily on improving a challenging pupil, there just won’t be the time.

Choose whichever you like but don’t be tricked by what companies might say, when it comes to learning to drive one thing that counts the most is practice, practice, practice.

Tockwith Training:
the good old 1-to-1 or 2-to-1 debate. Firstly though let’s get a few things straight. Companies offering 2-to-1 generate more profit, this is the only reason it’s so popular. If some could fit 3-to-1 in the cab I’m positive they would.

Our company offers both 2-to-1 and 1-to-1
We have found the passrate with 2 trainees can match with 1-to-1 but only if the course is 7 to 10 days. In my opinion anyone taking a 4 or 5 day 2-to-1 driving course to take them from a novice to a truck driver is being taken for a ride. You just aren’t going to find it easy to pass.

It doesn’t matter whether your learning to drive or play the piano, one on one gets better results. The reasons for doing 2-to-1 is all profit related.

Sure one to one can be tiring, but when it’s properly structured it is not a problem.
Two to one is not perfect either, two people of different abilities can cause problems, the instructor won’t be able to concentrate so easily on improving a challenging pupil, there just won’t be the time.

Choose whichever you like but don’t be tricked by what companies might say, when it comes to learning to drive one thing that counts the most is practice, practice, practice.

Are you referring to 1 to 1 all-day or 1 to 1 half day :question:

I would of thought 1 to 1 all day would be to intensive, to much information to absorb. Half a day would be about right judging from my experience.
With a break included.

Agree with Tockwith Training,did my training on a 1:1 basis and couldn’t fault it.
Training on Thursday and Friday,weekend off,training Monday and Tuesday then test on Wednesday.
Perfect way to do it as the weekend gives you a good break between training.

gsm31:
Agree with Tockwith Training,did my training on a 1:1 basis and couldn’t fault it.
Training on Thursday and Friday,weekend off,training Monday and Tuesday then test on Wednesday.

Half days :question: :question:

ROG:

gsm31:

Full days,8.30am to 3pm.

gsm31:

ROG:

gsm31:

Full days,8.30am to 3pm.

Would each day be about 4 1/2 hours behind the wheel :question:

Between 5 and 5.5 hours.