Trailers imports

HI any one here ever bought a trailer from holland?.
I have been offered a new trailer from a samro at approx £3000 cheaper than buying the same one from their dealer here.It has full european warranty plus comes with extras i.e boxes, wheel carriers, armor curtains,spare wheels,water carrier.All the extras would cost me over £1000 here so i would be saving more like £4000 on uk list price.Can you see any problems buying it direct plus how do i get it plated here :confused: ?

i dont know much about this at all but i couldnt really see a problem it would just be classed as an import and another thing is look at all the trailers in the uk and the european side of the channel a lot spend their time on unacompaied frieght so they should all be the same spec. ( apart from the optional extras as mentioned.)

I am no expert but does the trailer not have TO BE CERTIFIED with a
TYPE APPROVAL before being allowed to be sold in the UK,

HAVE YOU ASKED THE DEPT OF TRANSPORT GIVEING THEM ALL THE DETAILS OF THE builder and the trailer so that you get then a offical answer which may save you lots of grief.

If memory serves me correctly

When you it you will be charged an ex-vat price (because you are buying it for export)

When you bring it into the country you need to go to the customs office in the dock and pay them the VAT @ 17.5% on the purchase price

You will also need the get a UK type approval certificate to give to vosa (not dvla as trailers are not registered in the UK) for mot & plating certificates

Not 100% but pretty sure

Its a long time ago but we bought a couple of road barrels from France and Belgium, Im sure when I picked one up from the dock I took it straight to Beverley testing station and they eventually issued a plating certificate.

Contact the seller, as Samro are common on our roads now. Brian Yeardley and Bowkers were running them

Have been told by samro it has full GB and european type approval as is the same trailer they sale here.As the trailer will be in europe most of the time(around 50 weeks a year) will i have to still import it also have been told by the makers that they will test it every 2 years at cost for me.(over in europe they mot lorries and trailers every 2 year not like us)

We got a trailer from Germany last year, Started out as a Dutch trailer, went to Germany to have the body fitted and then we bought it.
As far as I know all we had to do was get the German paperwork and then get it plated in the UK. Getting the German paperwork is what took the time. I believe the VAT thing is for exports from outside the EU. VAT is paid in the relevent EU country at thier rate.

I think you’ll only find minor differences between UK and other EU coutries trailer specs, things like mud guards, marker lights and reflectors. Major things will be to an EU spec.

Maybe a call to VOSA would clear things up.

I think you are wrong about the MOT every 2 years.

I had to do TUV every year and I think in Belgium it is every 6 months.

I beg to be educated though :smiley:

If you are buying a “new” trailer & import it to the UK then you need to pay UK vat

If it is a second hand trailer then there is no UK vat

Or at least thats how it works on vehicles.

To qualify to be second hand it needs to be of a minimum age or to have done a set amount of mileage not sure of the figures but I did hear of sombody who bought a brand new Volvo from Denmark (who have a high taxation rate apparently making the pre tax price very cheap) and drove it back to the UK and it qualified as seconhand so never paid the tax :wink:

just had a thought NORMAN LEWIS (SIMONS GROUP) had dutch tanks
which whent back to holland every year for a test, but still had english no.plates,PLUS, you will have to pay VAT either at the buyer or when you import it and any other additional costs that the customs will wish to have payed,

Check with HMS CUSTOMS direct and with the VOSA, plus if a member ask the RHA OR FTA what has to be done when buying a trailer from outside the UK.

Not sure about Holland ,but Samro are a French company at Fontanay le Compte and also have a factory south of Lyon (for Norbert),in France a trailer is a vehicule in its own right having its own Carte Gris (registration) and has a Control techinice every 2 years. I got stopped severa times in the Uk as the trailer reg was not the same as the tractor unit, and one hell of a time trying to convince the police in Europe a trailer is a vehicule (sorry about the spelling ,I cant think of the English spelling for vehicule!!!) in its own right

Simple, don’t import it. Buy it and register it in Holland. Fix up with a local haulier for an accommodation address and get it tested there whenever necessary. If there is problem in the UK with different plates between unit and trailer (not something I ever had a problem with Kerbut), just hang the unit number on as well.

That would work wouldn’t it?

Salut, David.

so how would say a dutch haulier go on, coming into the uk every week pulling his own trailer, would he need a uk plate? i’ve always thought that any vehicle or trailer had to have uk type approval before it could be used on uk roads but that it was done when the vehicle or trailer was first produced and was done by the manufactorer not by individual owners and then every unit made by the firm of that particular model auomatically carried that approval?
me and a mate looked into importing bikes from spain at one time and if i remember rightly there was no vat as such but an import tax that had to be paid which was a % of the purchase price paid in spain, it was a bit of a non starter so never really got into the finer details.

If you are VAT registerd and you buy from another EU VAT registerd company based in another EU country, or visa versa, then the goods are VAT exempt (the exceptions are things like fuel where VAT has to be reclaimed later), but first the seller must obtain the buyers VAT number to clarify with the their own countrys Customs department that it is a genuine bona fida VAT number, and the number must be listed on the Invoice.
But a brand new import may be subject to import duty such as vehicle taxes.

paul b:
so how would say a dutch haulier go on, coming into the uk every week pulling his own trailer, would he need a uk plate? .

Of course not Paul, just ask Coffee, does he need German plates because he goes there every week? I don’t think so. :wink:

Salut, David.

Itsons european, be very careful, lots of stolen stuff coming from that way out,

This is something I’ve looked at doing, but whats to stop you going out solo, brining a trailer back in with the, lets say, Spanish reg on it, hnging your ‘normal’ UK reg on the back and running it around?

Who will know that its not UK MOT’d? If your tractor and trailer are registered in another country do you ever get asked for trailer details? I have never. Always the truck, no details about the trailer have every been asked for.

Not saying I would do this, but whats to stop you running a trailer around that is not from, or registered in the UK. As long as its kept in a good state, who would know the difference?

Plambert:
This is something I’ve looked at doing, but whats to stop you going out solo, brining a trailer back in with the, lets say, Spanish reg on it, hnging your ‘normal’ UK reg on the back and running it around?

Who will know that its not UK MOT’d? If your tractor and trailer are registered in another country do you ever get asked for trailer details? I have never. Always the truck, no details about the trailer have every been asked for.

Not saying I would do this, but whats to stop you running a trailer around that is not from, or registered in the UK. As long as its kept in a good state, who would know the difference?

Get back to work!!!

TheBear:
[
Get back to work!!!

Pot & Kettle :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Salut, David.

Plambert:

I got pulled by the wheel tappers at Dagenham a couple of weeks ago & they checked the trailer “plate”.

If I’m correct (& I’m not always :wink:) Every trailer in the EU has to have it’s country of registration’s equivolent