we have the following on our trailers and roadtankers
it is called a spefications plate made normal of VA-4
steel and all the details are engraved on this plate, also
we have a Kraftfahrtschein (LOG-BOOK) ,for each of the
trailers or tankers withall its details entered here as well
this is a document which we have to carry at all times as
well as the log book for the TRACTOR UNIT,

Forgot this is for vehicles out of GERMANY;

sorry for not getting back sooner the trailers are from main dealer staight from factory 6 to 8 weeks to build.been over there this week to see the trailers in stock.they will deliver over here all paper work and import duty done by them and it still works out £2k cheaper.there must be about 100 new norbert trailers waiting for collection

brit pete:
just had a thought NORMAN LEWIS (SIMONS GROUP) had dutch tanks
which whent back to holland every year for a test, but still had english no.plates,PLUS, you will have to pay VAT either at the buyer or when you import it and any other additional costs that the customs will wish to have payed,

Check with HMS CUSTOMS direct and with the VOSA, plus if a member ask the RHA OR FTA what has to be done when buying a trailer from outside the UK.

Pete, Norman Lewis used Hobur tanks and had to buy them in Holland because the UK ministry are not up to speed with ADR and couldnt issue ADR certificates suitable for Europe. The test included a pressure test and electrical checks as well as measuring the wear on the 5th wheel pin.

north surrey haulage:
If you are buying a “new” trailer & import it to the UK then you need to pay UK vat

If it is a second hand trailer then there is no UK vat

Or at least thats how it works on vehicles.

To qualify to be second hand it needs to be of a minimum age or to have done a set amount of mileage not sure of the figures but I did hear of sombody who bought a brand new Volvo from Denmark (who have a high taxation rate apparently making the pre tax price very cheap) and drove it back to the UK and it qualified as seconhand so never paid the tax :wink:

Youre right, was looking into it myself and vehicle had to be 2nd hand, was older than 6 months or had done 6000 miles (I think they were the figures), phone customs and excise up, they will tell you. You will not pay VAT in the country of Origin as its for export.