Trailer straps

Hi folks does we have been told at work that vosa will be giving fixed penalties and 3 points if pallets are not ratchet strapped which is going to be a real pain. Does anybody know if this is true? The pallets we haul are really light weight so I don’t see the point.

It is true, but I’d takes my chances if they don’t need strapping as it’s a complete waste of time. Under a certain weight, quarter of a tonne I think, the roof straps are alright, over that you need ratchets.

Silver_Surfer:
It is true, but I’d takes my chances if they don’t need strapping as it’s a complete waste of time. Under a certain weight, quarter of a tonne I think, the roof straps are alright, over that you need ratchets.

which defeats the object :laughing: vostapo need to get out more! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: OP, £100 nil pois :sunglasses:

Bedsideprawn:
Hi folks does we have been told at work that vosa will be giving fixed penalties and 3 points if pallets are not ratchet strapped which is going to be a real pain. Does anybody know if this is true? The pallets we haul are really light weight so I don’t see the point.

Shouldn’t be a problem for you mate, all pallets weighing up to 400kg can be secured with roof mounted internal straps and secured at the rear i.e cross strapping.

I’ve heard the same my company says you need at least 8 straps by law plus internals

I had a pull by VOSA a few weeks ago & got “Advice given” for not having a small pallet strapped down. This pallet had 3 concrete lintels (1.2m) laid on it. Wagon has metal sides. lintels going nowhere !

In 40 years of wagon driving i have never lost a thing off the back.

They use a matrix system.And work out what types of cargo needs to restrained.
Think of forward strapping to stop it moving forwards.
Side and rear strapping depending what the load is.
The Germans started all this with BAG lorry control.
They got fed up with roads shut to clean up loads all the road at accidents.
If Vosa can see you have made an effort and pass the attitude test it should be ok with them.
I see steel girders that have nothing to stop them going in the back of the cab with harsh braking.

This might help…movingon.blog.gov.uk/2013/10/21 … -security/

So it seems as usual that this country is going backwards, might just as well revert to the old fashioned sheets and ropes, at least every hook can have a rope on it, or will VOSA still insist on straps as well.

DVSA advises the use of internal straps for loads under 400 kg’s.
The strap is attached to a small bolt in the trailer roof which is no good if the trailer turns over.
The container and fridge drivers have a good life.
One day in the future,you will be scanned in motion,they will see what is inside the trailer with no need to pull you over.

How would you go on strapping a pallet full of cans of ale or a Euro with bottled water?? The strap ain’t securing all of the pallet is it as such, just the cans or bottles that the strap is attached to. Plus try explaining to your gaffer that you have a refused load because of damage to goods on said pallets. Brewery company’s don’t use rachet straps to secure kegs, they use them curtains with the internal straps that have a mesh net integrated into them.
Just how did drivers go on in the old days using just a sheet, rope and a trusted dolly knot for security? :unamused:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
How would you go on strapping a pallet full of cans of ale or a Euro with bottled water?? The strap ain’t securing all of the pallet is it as such, just the cans or bottles that the strap is attached to.

Corner boards?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
How would you go on strapping a pallet full of cans of ale or a Euro with bottled water?? The strap ain’t securing all of the pallet is it as such, just the cans or bottles that the strap is attached to. Plus try explaining to your gaffer that you have a refused load because of damage to goods on said pallets. Brewery company’s don’t use rachet straps to secure kegs, they use them curtains with the internal straps that have a mesh net integrated into them.
Just how did drivers go on in the old days using just a sheet, rope and a trusted dolly knot for security? :unamused:

you use pallet / load boards / edge boards . much like used when carrying blocks.
The Curtains you described on the kegs are internal STRAPS constructed as a web this is in addition to the Load covering curtain.

Last year I was carrying 26 pallets of bottled bleach, I had internal straps throughout the load, £60 fine ( just before they raised the bounty ) and to add insult to injury, they made me put ratchets and straps on every pallet, cardboard boxes, needless to say at the delivery point, the load was rejected due to the damage on said boxes. They put a prohibition on the trailer and stood and watched until every top layer on each pallet was destroyed. In the end, the load was probably more of a risk the way they wanted it secured. Total arse of a system if you ask me.

All this strapping is Hitlers revenge.He got one on us now.

Bedsideprawn:

There are very few offences that VOSA or as it is now known, DVSA can give penalty points for, generally securement of the load is not one of them; Unless it falls into these categories: Vehicle or Load in a Dangerous Condition S.40A RTA 1988. If it is deemed to come under this offence that CAN also carry points: Causing or likely to cause danger by reason of load or passengers.

If I was given one of those types of penalty. I would not accept a fixed penalty unless the load had squished a person or a car, if it is the officers word against mine than it would go to court, if necessary with a trained transport solicitor.

What experience does a VOSA officer have of fastening on 9 packs of timber or a JCB to a trailer? Little or none is the answer. Of course I am not going down the road without any straps on, but my interpretation of secure may vary from the prosecuting officers, so my brief would question that in a magistrates court.

Part of our job is moving pallet boxes of potatoes. I don’t want to strap them but have noticed other firms are now strapping. I have informed the boss and he still says we are not doing it. Tricky.

midlifetrucker:
Part of our job is moving pallet boxes of potatoes. I don’t want to strap them but have noticed other firms are now strapping. I have informed the boss and he still says we are not doing it. Tricky.

I think the safest thing to do there is to get the boss to write a full risk assessment, saying why you do not need to strap them, because I will wager my latest Euromillions win that if the potatoes hit the deck, he will be the first one to scream. If he wont do that then you will have to strap them up in his time and get paid to do it. :slight_smile:

midlifetrucker:

If you get a pull at the roadside it will be a case of strap the load or stay where you are, and have a fine!
your boss will soon change his tune when his truck is parked up in a roadside check point!

Indeed