Trailer straps

pete-b:
Last year I was carrying 26 pallets of bottled bleach, I had internal straps throughout the load, £60 fine ( just before they raised the bounty ) and to add insult to injury, they made me put ratchets and straps on every pallet, cardboard boxes, needless to say at the delivery point, the load was rejected due to the damage on said boxes. They put a prohibition on the trailer and stood and watched until every top layer on each pallet was destroyed. In the end, the load was probably more of a risk the way they wanted it secured. Total arse of a system if you ask me.

& that my friend is why VOSA are dicks. I don’t mind the rest of the stuff they get up to but this BS about strapping every pallet no matter what is stupidity of the highest degree.

Silver_Surfer:
& that my friend is why VOSA are dicks. I don’t mind the rest of the stuff they get up to but this BS about strapping every pallet no matter what is stupidity of the highest degree.

Agreed. I run up and down the motorway every night with a decker, and have done for the past five or six years, and before that I was towing curtainsiders about the place for another ten years, give or take. I’ve never mindlessly stuck straps over every pallet, it’d add at least a couple of hours onto every shift and would add approximately bugger all to load security. The trailers I pull have a little badge on the curtains saying they’re load bearing up to the full max vehicle weight. I’ve never yet had anythig move or fall off. How can you possibly secure every pallet to the bed on a double decker on trunking work, where every pallet is a different shape and size? It’s easy enough if you’re carrying 26 pallets of beer or bleach or whatever it might be, where all pallets are the same and you can fit corner boards on them, but that wouldn’t work for my job.

I’d need the VOSA man to help me with this lot, most of the boxes are below the bottom strap rail :grimacing:

Dundee pallet.jpg

Ropes are not acceptable as a sole load restraint because they cannot be load tested and they do not have a labelled SWL marker. LOLER regs’.
Judging by the amount of straps that are seen littering the roadsides, they either wanted replacing due to being defective or were not fitted correctly and chafed through.
Which also leads to : loads do settle, so check the tensioning during a journey where and when safe to do so.

G6Bob:
I’d need the VOSA man to help me with this lot, most of the boxes are below the bottom strap rail :grimacing:

What have you got in them boxes? Couldn’t most of that squeeze onto a couple of pallets? Seems a waste of space.

G6Bob:

These rules don’t apply to vehicles with solid sides,only curtainsiders and flat trls.

Stupidity or idle logic?
I recently watched a driver loading a curtainsider, he pulled the internal straps down into place hung across each pallet, but instead of fastening them to the trailer bed, he just tucked them under the pallet. His logic was that if pulled by vosa, they`d open the back doors & see the straps hung across the pallets but not check if they where fastened saving him time

VOSA are really gonna start clamping down on this,not only are they gonna fine you for not having your load strapped they will also fine you if your not using the correct rated strap i.e. a 1ton rated strap across 2x1ton plts !

you have been warned !

I’m in a real dilemma on this, I do the same run every night with a decker with the same load in which all the pallets top and bottom deck are stacked close to the roof rendering the internal roof straps useless as I physically cant pull them past the pallets. Climbing up to throw straps over the tops is impossible too. I would doubt the pallets are over 400 kg each as the whole load is probably less than 10 tons but there are no labels or paperwork to prove this as its a full load to the same destination. All the pallets are well wrapped and very stable but I guess that wont help in the event of an inspection. I reckon I’m just going to have to wait and see.

pete-b:
Last year I was carrying 26 pallets of bottled bleach, I had internal straps throughout the load, £60 fine ( just before they raised the bounty ) and to add insult to injury, they made me put ratchets and straps on every pallet, cardboard boxes, needless to say at the delivery point, the load was rejected due to the damage on said boxes. They put a prohibition on the trailer and stood and watched until every top layer on each pallet was destroyed. In the end, the load was probably more of a risk the way they wanted it secured. Total arse of a system if you ask me.

you read posts like this and think what’s the ■■■■■■■ point, bloody vosa makes my blood boil :imp:

Bedsideprawn:
Hi folks does we have been told at work that vosa will be giving fixed penalties and 3 points if pallets are not ratchet strapped which is going to be a real pain. Does anybody know if this is true? The pallets we haul are really light weight so I don’t see the point.

It’s very true I’m afraid. I got a written warning from my firm for not doing so :confused:

We run flats, we have had including me, advisories over skids. The VOSA guys say that it will become a major issue soon and they say. Any loose item that could fall or come loose from the bed of the truck in an accident should be restrained with straps.

Rhythm Thief:
The trailers I pull have a little badge on the curtains saying they’re load bearing up to the full max vehicle weight.

I would very much be interested to see a picture of the little badge you refer to.

The BS EN 12642-XL standard is the higher of the two standards used in Europe (not UK) for vehicle body construction. Usually the curtains of an ‘XL’ trailer or vehicle will only withstand 40% of the payload. i.e a trailer with 27,000kg payload the curtains could retain up to 10,800kg. BUT … only if certain criteria is met, which is usally

1. Stable load
  2. Coefficient of friction greater than 0.3 (a standard wooden pallet on a wooden deck is about 0.3) so to achieve this you may need friction matting under the load
  3. No more than 80mm (3 inch) gap between the load and the curtains.

So on a 27,000 kg payload that’d leave 16,200kg still free to go where it wants and further restraint would be needed. This would be indicated on the manufacturers plate or a seperate plate/label giving all of the capacities.

I can go to my local curtain place and have them make me a curtain that’ll hold 20t easy … the minute I attach it to the standard curtainsider body it’ll hold as much as that body can - probably very little.

There was an operator wrote a letter to commercial motor explaining he spent £1200 per trailer fitting netting to restrain the load - then fastened them to the original internal strap runners. Complete waste. Apart from whcih - the nets he described would only act as CONTAINMENT and not RESTRAINT. Restraint secures an item to the vehicle so it cannot move independantly. Containment just keeps it inside.

If you have an android phone go on google play and search for an app called lashing calculator. This little app can calculate the correct restraints required based on the recognised standards of most countries and it works very well. It’s free as well! There’s also an app from the HSL (part of the HSE) but that’s 99p

The problem is that according to some European documents an emergency stop, emergency lane change or both together is to be considered as ‘normal driving conditions’ and the load should be restrained to allow for this. In Europe they maintain that only 80% of the loads weight will act in a forward direction under braking (50% sideways and backwards). The DFT code of practice says 100% of the loads weight can act forward meaning our standard is higher than the rest of Europe

Also - as already pointed out the VOSA enforcement is £100 graduated fixed penalty and a PG9 which will affect the operators OCRS. Therefore if you have the kit to secure the load but haven’t done it the operator may not be happy. If you don’t have the kit then maybe it’s their fault.

As for those that say “How do you secure a pallet when the straps will damage it” … simple - you can’t. it hasn’t been packed for transport in that kind of vehicle. Stick it a box and VOSA won’t be interested (unless it gets out). The issue is that we try to carry a multitude of different items in curtains when they really aren’t suitable. if you wouldn’t take it on a flat bed then it’s no good in a curtain. The sooner people get that idea in their heads the better.

Of course - as pointed out by wheelnut, if you get a penalty and don’t agree then you can elect to see them in court, but be prepared to go up against their expert witnesses that wrote the VOSA load security matrix armed with lots and lots of recognised approved codes of practice and BS EN standards etc.

trux:
Ropes are not acceptable as a sole load restraint because they cannot be load tested and they do not have a labelled SWL marker. LOLER regs’.
Judging by the amount of straps that are seen littering the roadsides, they either wanted replacing due to being defective or were not fitted correctly and chafed through.
Which also leads to : loads do settle, so check the tensioning during a journey where and when safe to do so.

You can get load tested rope now which complies with the regs.

Just think of all the wonga VOSA could get of they pulled up outside a pallet hub for the night and did spot checks… My guess is this isn’t very far away from happening :confused:

If you and your curtainsider were pulled over for a check, the curtains were not bulging and were intact do VOSA have the authority to request you to open the curtains/ back doors for them to inspect the load security?

As for those that say “How do you secure a pallet when the straps will damage it” … simple - you can’t. it hasn’t been packed for transport in that kind of vehicle. Stick it a box and VOSA won’t be interested (unless it gets out). The issue is that we try to carry a multitude of different items in curtains when they really aren’t suitable. if you wouldn’t take it on a flat bed then it’s no good in a curtain. The sooner people get that idea in their heads the better.

Here here!!
And that my friend is 100% of the problem.
Unsuitable vehicle/body type for the load being carried.
I don’t agree or like much of what the yanks say or do but they do have one good readon for using box vans in the majority and that is purely because for the majority of loads they are the best solution.

I have noticed a lot of old curtain sided trailers suddenly have load bearing curtains fitted, are operators changing their curtains or just putting labels on in a bit to fool vosa ?

the maoster:
If you and your curtainsider were pulled over for a check, the curtains were not bulging and were intact do VOSA have the authority to request you to open the curtains/ back doors for them to inspect the load security?

You can refuse to open the curtains or back doors as far as I’m aware. VOSA have got to have reason to believe that the load is insecure I.e a bulge in the curtain for them to ask you for them to do a check. Trouble is do that then see how they treat you or maybe out of the blue ask to check your tacho and do vehicle checks just to be ■■■■■ :unamused:

You’re almost certainly right there Steve. Unfortunately they have the power to have the last (expensive) word.