Trailer Coupling

Thoughts on a driver going under a trailer before coupling to a unit please?

Is there official guidance on it?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Monkey241:

If trailer secure = no problem

Bit confused as to why you’d want to go under trailer before its coupled?

Only guidance I could think of would be make sure the trailer brake is on and don’t stand up (not that any driver would do that :blush: ).

remember the must haves for going beneath a trailer…bog roll,wet wipes and a plastic bag. :wink:

trevHCS:

Only guidance I could think of would be make sure the trailer brake is on and don’t stand up (not that any driver would do that :blush: ).

Lad bizarrely checking pin and 5th wheel alignment.

He’s on a disciplinary…its dumb but the legs were down.

ROG:

Monkey241:

If trailer secure = no problem

Rog. …trailer still on legs.
I think they’re claiming a policy issue.

Monkey241:

trevHCS:

Lad at work bizarrely checking pin and 5th wheel alignment.

He’s on a disciplinary…its dumb but the legs were down.

Like me he’s a new driver. I dont recall anything explicit about don’t…

Your OP makes no sense. All trailers are uncoupled before you go under them :smiley: . You go under them to couple them up. :bulb: Are you perhaps referring to split coupling, whereby you reverse part way under the trailer (typically a fridge) then get out and do your lines?

It makes perfect sense in context…he physically went under the trailer himself.

Not the unit…him.

He claims to check the pin was aligned.

Not the smartest move…but currently he appears to be a target

I did say driver…

The driver being the fleshy squishy bit that occasionally manages to control the tractor in this case

Monkey241:
It makes perfect sense in context…he physically went under the trailer himself.

Not the unit…him.

He claims to check the pin was aligned.

Not the smartest move…but currently he appears to be a target

Visually checking the pin and 5th wheel height before coupling up is part of the test afaik. Actually walking under the trailer to do it is an odd one, but he’ll only do that a couple of times before he cakes his hi-viz and back of his head in grease and won’t do it anymore :smiley: :smiley: . If he’s coupled up and then ducked underneath it to check the pin connection then that’s absolutely fine and something a pro will often do to check the bar has locked across, especially if it didn’t sound ‘right’ when it engaged - often a tell-tale sign it hasn’t fully locked in.

What is the company’s complaint, specifically?

He checked alignment before coupling…

Complaint seems to be going under the trailer himself is a H&S issue or contravenes company policy.

My issue is he appears to have been witnessed by a manager doing it…who did nothing to stop him.

Told him to get a copy of the policy…

Interesting comment on checking underneath after the coupling.

Is a supposedly couple trailer anymore or less dangerous than a freestanding one? [emoji1787]

Monkey241:
Interesting comment on checking underneath after the coupling.

Is a supposedly couple trailer anymore or less dangerous than a freestanding one? [emoji1787]

Once you’ve driven artics for a few years you get to know the sound of the pin engaging and locking. There are rare occasions when it doesn’t sound right and often when you check you’ll find that it hasn’t locked in and the pin release arm hasn’t gone all the way home so you can’t fit the dog-clip, or the spring L-shape piece hasn’t dropped down because the arm is blocking it. It’s more common on units when the 5th wheel coupling is worn and nearly always happens with heavy (loaded) trailers the most.

Other drivers may disagree but personally I think it’s a good habit to go into by ducking under the trailer after coupling and shining a torch in the jaws to check that the locking bar is in place. It gives that peace of mind that you’re coupled up correctly. Should be taught on the test imo as the tug test isn’t foolproof.

I was reading about that the other day…scary stuff.

Good info and thanks.

Im still trying to get a picture of whats happening.
Trailer on legs, with brakes on?
Unit lined up, but not under? Unit is half under? Or fully under?
Driver is going right under to center of trailer to see into the (hopefully) closed jaws after the tug test?
Engine is off with keys in driver`s pocket?
Engine running as driver ducks out of sight?
Legs down, and 5th wheel under rubbing plate, engine off? I would say no dangers there to anyone.

We have to get under are trailers to remove the pin lock .

GAZPROM:
We have to get under are trailers to remove the pin lock .

Good point.

Legs down. Tractor lined up…not part under to my knowledge.
Unsure if engine off…but would hope so.

Sounds like driver properly under the trailer.

Just line yourself up, get your fifth wheel under the trailer, raise unit suspension, back into pin and do a couple tug tests for peace of mind. It’s hardly rocket science.

Also if a driver is being extra careful and checking everything, how is that a bad thing■■? Might be a bit ott but the job got done safely, why is the little desk jockey getting his knickers in a twist?

When I did my CE test, the examiner went under the trailer to check the bar was across, even after tug test. Says he did it every time.