Trailer Coupling

So reading between the lines, an employed driver has reversed his unit up to the trailer and stopped short. He has got out the tractor to check everything in order and his process for doing that is physically going under the trailer to check the pin will go in the 5th wheel.

The company he works for has deemed this to be misconduct and he has a disciplinary meeting.

Hope that clears it up, think the confusing part is that it is in the newbies forum, when it’s not really a newbie thing.

Jimmy McNulty:
think the confusing part is that it is in the newbies forum, when it’s not really a newbie thing.

Fair point - moving this to PDF

R420:

Monkey241:
Interesting comment on checking underneath after the coupling.

Is a supposedly couple trailer anymore or less dangerous than a freestanding one? [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Once you’ve driven artics for a few years you get to know the sound of the pin engaging and locking. There are rare occasions when it doesn’t sound right and often when you check you’ll find that it hasn’t locked in and the pin release arm hasn’t gone all the way home so you can’t fit the dog-clip, or the spring L-shape piece hasn’t dropped down because the arm is blocking it. It’s more common on units when the 5th wheel coupling is worn and nearly always happens with heavy (loaded) trailers the most.

Other drivers may disagree but personally I think it’s a good habit to go into by ducking under the trailer after coupling and shining a torch in the jaws to check that the locking bar is in place. It gives that peace of mind that you’re coupled up correctly. Should be taught on the test imo as the tug test isn’t foolproof.

Couldn’t agree more, i shine a torch up the fifth wheel’s bum every time after connecting up.

I can’t see as the lad has done any wrong here, presumably he’s reversed up to the trailer and just popped his head under to double check he’s lined up well.
Good lad i say, if he’s got a regular allocated tractor unit and a regular trailer specs the lining up check won’t be necessary after a while, but it never hurts to stop get out and see how you are for height before backing under, and when i back under i get a foot or as close as practical to the fifth wheel and then raise the tractor suspension so the legs are just clear of the ground before connecting up as gently as possible, do it like this and almost never will there be a misconnect.

Right, i’ve told this before but it bears repeating, it is possible to connect up (usually on uneven ground) and for the fifth wheel to close up and be a able to insert the safety clip, BUT, the trailer king pin is not sitting inside the jaws, the jaws have closed and the king pin is sitting on the closed jaws.

Many years ago, back in the days of York BigD fifth wheels, one of our drivers travelled some 120/150 miles empty only for the trailer to bounce off on the London Embankment at night, none of us could believe this could happen.
A few months later i collected a fully loaded trailer that had been dropped on a corner on the ■■■■, when i hitched up, as R420 notes, the fifth wheel didn’t sound quite right as it went home.
So dragged the trailer down onto level ground, looked up its bum and sure enough that king pin was sitting on the closed jaws not inside, also daylight could be seen between fifth wheel and rubbing plate.

So, people, take R420’s good advice, get in the habit of looking up the fifth wheel’s bum after you’ve connected up, it takes 10 seconds whilst you are down there putting the dog clip in.

Some folk are truly bizarre ffs :unamused:

I can sort of understand getting out and looking down the unit to see if it’s ‘in-line’ with the trailer, but getting under the trailer and seeing if the pin is lined up with the jaws of the fifth wheel is just plain weird.

Think that the way to look at this is very simple… Has the driver done anything wrong?

Short answer… NO.

Like Juddian and R420… if the driver wants to check underneath the trailer…crack on! The legs are up… the trailer is not moving; what’s the problem?

As for the Manager? Ask him if he has a class 1. If he says ‘No’, there is your get out! Alternately, firms are BIG on H&S so say, quite reasonably, it’s a H&S thing – you need to make sure the trailer is safe before moving off. Let’s see them argue with that!

He was obviously checking the rubbing plate and pin for cracks or damage :wink:

Monkey241:

trevHCS:
Bit confused as to why you’d want to go under trailer before its coupled?

Only guidance I could think of would be make sure the trailer brake is on and don’t stand up (not that any driver would do that :blush: ).

Lad bizarrely checking pin and 5th wheel alignment.

He’s on a disciplinary…its dumb but the legs were down.

Your company is dumb, what exactly is the problem?

Interesting comments.
Moral of the story is:

If you’re going to discipline someone for going against policy…make sure that policy mentions it.

i just ram the unit into the back of the trailer.
Thats what the run up ramps on the back of the unit are for no? :grimacing:

Every single time I couple to a trailer I get under with a torch to visually check the bar is fully across. I see it as my last chance to discover if it had coupled properly.

R420:
Other drivers may disagree but personally I think it’s a good habit to go into by ducking under the trailer after coupling and shining a torch in the jaws to check that the locking bar is in place. It gives that peace of mind that you’re coupled up correctly. Should be taught on the test imo as the tug test isn’t foolproof.

I got told to go under with a torch and I still do it. Nobody has commented on it so far. But I am short enough to be able to do it without crouching too low :laughing: :laughing:

I think a bit more context is needed. Was the trailer on a loading bay for example?
This thread will give an idea why it might not be a good idea to go under the neck of the trailer: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19616
All depends on circumstances.
I think the same thing happened at a Nottingham distribution centre fairly recently with a trailer on a loading dock.

A disciplinary…for what…he did what i always do, check trailer brake is on…back the unit up to the trailer…check height and adjust suspension up or down whatever it requires…bang it home…tug test…clip on, airlines on, wheels up…number plate on…release trailer brake…go grab a coffee for all my hard work.

truckyboy:
A disciplinary…for what…he did what i always do, check trailer brake is on…back the unit up to the trailer…check height and adjust suspension up or down whatever it requires…bang it home…tug test…clip on, airlines on, wheels up…number plate on…release trailer brake…go grab a coffee for all my hard work.

That last bit is very VERY important.

Under no circumstances should you ever leave without having a coffee

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

adam277:
i just ram the unit into the back of the trailer.
Thats what the run up ramps on the back of the unit are for no? :grimacing:

+1.

Then I hoon it into drive and floor it to make sure its attached and job done isn’t it?

dieseldog999:
remember the must haves for going beneath a trailer…bog roll,wet wipes and a plastic bag. :wink:

100% on the carrier bag, unless you want it to skitter up the back of your ankles

Sent using smoke signals

dieseldog999:
remember the must haves for going beneath a trailer…bog roll,wet wipes and a plastic bag. :wink:

Bing bong, We have the correct answer, :smiley: :laughing:

Monkey241:
Thoughts on a driver going under a trailer before coupling to a unit please?

Is there official guidance on it?

Shouldn’t really be doing it, I’m guessing he physically bent down and went under. Inspection of pin doable without going in underneath but not common practice imho.

I’m a big fan of looking up the ■■■■■■■ though and always do it.

Have picked up trailers and sound hasn’t been quite right even after tug test (not the curtains shut jump on bunk jobby) and needed to physically look up the jaws, even then had another go just to be sure.

Every individual differs from the no f uks given to the over cautious.

Disciplinary sounds harsh but as stated only time needed to go under trailer is to drop a sneaky log off.

In my 20+ years driving I’ve only had to go under the trailer once and to be fair it was to inspect a bent pin.

Also only done 3 in cab dumps, perching half a cheek on the passenger seat over a carrier bag does the job.