traffic light cameras

anybody got a ticket from going thru when the lights are changing?

about 3 weeks ago as i went thru lights were changing in central Ipswich there was a camera flash , but iv not had anything thru the post yet…
anyhow iv been stopped at the same lights since and looked up, theres 3 very small gizmos atop the lights , non much bigger than a satnav and all thin. is this what traffic light cameras look like?

Traffic light cameras are usually 10 or so metres before the loghts in a box that is about 20x12x12 inches. If the registered keeper hasnt recieved a NIP within 14 days then the likelyhood is you wont be getting one.

I think it takes up to 6 weeks for a nip to get to you !

corij:
anybody got a ticket from going thru when the lights are changing?

I got one once & I didn’t even go through, front wheels went over the white line (the road was wet).

iv been one of the type of driver that “ride the lights” , if its goes to amber i Always carried on thru -this has become more common practice in recent years im defo not alone in this failing .

course iv stopped since this flash

Many years ago on the A34 in Parrs Wood (Stockport) I was doing 40 in a 40 zone when the lights changed as I was maybe 15-20 yards from the line. I carried on because there was no way I could stop safely and got the ominous camera flash. When the NIP arrived I wrote explaining the circumstances and recieved a reply stating that I had broken the law and the NIP was served correctly etc etc. It was only when I read the full details on the original NIP that I noticed it stated that I was doing 74 mph, so I wrote again explaining that I was in a governed vehicle with a tachograph that could prove I was not anywhere near the stated speed…I never heard another word!

truckyboy:
I think it takes up to 6 weeks for a nip to get to you !

An NIP must be sent within 14 days of the offence, with the owner / reg keeper replying within 28 days so that might be where you got the 6 weeks from.

What does nip mean?

Boris1971:
What does nip mean?

It a Notice of Intended Prosecution.

corij:
iv been one of the type of driver that “ride the lights” , if its goes to amber i Always carried on thru -this has become more common practice in recent years im defo not alone in this failing .

course iv stopped since this flash

If it was the trailer that set the camera off, you are unlikely to hear anything.

weeto:
If it was the trailer that set the camera off, you are unlikely to hear anything.

I’m inclined to agree, although I wouldn’t trust the authorities to apply any sort of common sense on the matter. I’ve been through the odd light with a camera that turned red after I’d entered and committed, usually because of a slow speed turn etc and have been flashed and never heard a thing.

just as a reminder and for those who do not know the lights on the approach to poole along the holes bay road are speed as well as traffic light cameras and it is down to 30mph from 50 and sign posted, so don’t run the amber and risk going over the 30.

how common are these traffic light cameras? is it every town and most lights?

im always behind on this sort of thing and didnt even know they existed till that flash .

corij:

im always behind on this sort of thing and didnt even know they existed till that flash .

They’re extremely common and have been around many decades

robinhood_1984:

weeto:

I’m inclined to agree, although I wouldn’t trust the authorities to apply any sort of common sense on the matter. I’ve been through the odd light with a camera that turned red after I’d entered and committed, usually because of a slow speed turn etc and have been flashed and never heard a thing.

Me too in Cardiff about 3 years ago, I phoned the local camera partnership up and a nice lady explained that they would examine all photos taken and take into account a slow moving artic, I never heard any more.

I was under the impression that they all acted as speed cameras as well. I know a lot of people speed up on amber, avoiding a ticket for a red light but in the process get done for exceeding the speed limit.

corij:

You must be winding us up surely. :confused:

robinhood_1984:
I was under the impression that they all acted as speed cameras as well. I know a lot of people speed up on amber, avoiding a ticket for a red light but in the process get done for exceeding the speed limit.

Last time I had any look at traffic light cameras, a long time ago I add, yes the speed can be worked out as the loops are set before and after the stop line and are a known distance apart. So from the time it takes to active both loops you have the simple equation of

V (Velocity aka Speed) = d(Distance)
over t (Time taken)

bald bloke:

corij:

You must be winding us up surely. :confused:

probably i had heard of them ,but thought it was only a london thing similar to that congestion charge camera . youd think by the law of odds id have seen one of these flash in the past [if they are common as] but i havnt

robinhood_1984:

weeto:

The photographic evidence, which you are entitled to see, would or wouldn’t confirm which axle set the camera off.
Like speed cameras, they have to take 2 photographs as evidence, no idea if the myth that only 1 flash means it’s run out of film is true or not.