Traffic joining motorways

I’ll usually back the speed off slightly or move over for traffic joining at a motorway junction if it’s safe to do so like most other trucks tend to do. However, i can’t believe some of the car and van drivers I’ve come across this week who’ve blasted their horns and given the coffee beans and fingers if I’ve not moved over for them.

Seems to be getting more and more common, these impatient [zb] obviously don’t know their left from right and who gives way to who !!!

People joining motorways/duals do not realise that the line they cross means Give Way to the right.
They adjust their speed as they join in front of a wagon or behind.
It is not for us to give way, however we do try to move over if safe. Going uphill i tend to hold my ground as moving over and then waiting for the joining vehicle to is dangerous in my opinion. The joiners tend to blast up your nearside, undertaking and causing a game of , do i move back in or stay out.
In short, other drivers if you see a lorry as you join the motorway, put your foot down and join in front or back off and join behind. Staying next to us in our blind spots is just asking for problems. We can’t see you.

markoc:
I’ll usually back the speed off slightly or move over for traffic joining at a motorway junction if it’s safe to do so like most other trucks tend to do. However, i can’t believe some of the car and van drivers I’ve come across this week who’ve blasted their horns and given the coffee beans and fingers if I’ve not moved over for them.

Seems to be getting more and more common, these impatient f***wits obviously don’t know their left from right and who gives way to who !!!

It is amusing. They come sailing down the runway to join the motorway traffic and only decide to look right just as the the broken line is a few yards away. I don’t slow and if they have no room I guess they will join from the hard shoulder. My instructor said if you make decisions i.e. braking when it is not your responsibility to do so, can cause problems for you and following traffic.

Maybe they should read the highway code ( although not law just a code of conduct / practice ) advises road users if they cant get up to speed of road then dont pull out

If on a slip road entering a motorway / duel carriage only do so if it is safe otherwise stop

I have had the same dilema.I could not to lane two and get the arm waving followed by a horn and light flash in anger by lorries.

From the highway code:
When joining the motorway:
give priority to traffic already on the motorway
check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane

Now a little story for you. My brother’s wife ran into the back of another car recently, first accident in 30 years. She was sent on a driving awareness course, fair enough, better than points, but set her back £180. She was fuming when she came back. It seems that, when they were in the classroom, they had to watch some film of actual incidents. One of them showed a vehicle coming from a sliproad and colliding with a vehicle already on the motorway. The instructor then informed the class that the driver on the main road was at fault in this particular case, as he should have moved out, despite the fact that it was apparent on the film that there were vehicles alongside him in the outer carriageways. My sister-in-law and some of the other naughty persons present disputed this, but the “expert” instructor would have none of it. I’ve obviously had it all wrong the 49 years I’ve been driving. I despair
Bernard

Definition of “expert”

EX…Past, Has Been

Spurt…a Drip under pressure

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

albion1938:
Now a little story for you. My brother’s wife ran into the back of another car recently, first accident in 30 years. She was sent on a driving awareness course, fair enough, better than points, but set her back £180. She was fuming when she came back. It seems that, when they were in the classroom, they had to watch some film of actual incidents. One of them showed a vehicle coming from a sliproad and colliding with a vehicle already on the motorway. The instructor then informed the class that the driver on the main road was at fault in this particular case, as he should have moved out, despite the fact that it was apparent on the film that there were vehicles alongside him in the outer carriageways. My sister-in-law and some of the other naughty persons present disputed this, but the “expert” instructor would have none of it. I’ve obviously had it all wrong the 49 years I’ve been driving. I despair
Bernard

That’s depressing. :frowning:

Keep her lit…:slight_smile:

You are all correct, it is the responsibility of the driver joining to adjust his speed accordingly and fit into lane 1 of the main c/way.

What doesn’t help is when drivers are travelling far too close to the vehicle in front, so there just isn’t the room for someone to join into lane 1, and I’m sorry guys, but HGV’s on the motorway are some of the worse offenders of this especially in lane 1.

In fact travelling too close to the vehicle in front is one of the main causes of RTC’s on the motorway.
Two second rule applies, and if weather conditions are bad, increase that distance to at least 3 seconds. If on your journey, 10 cars move into the space in front of you, causing you to drop back slightly for the 2 second rule, you will loose just over a minute, which is considerably less than the time you’d spend swapping details, dealing with the police etc, even on a slight bump.

One could also argue that the type of behaviour you all talk about is also exhibited by some truck drivers.

The real Biffo:
You are all correct, it is the responsibility of the driver joining to adjust his speed accordingly and fit into lane 1 of the main c/way.

What doesn’t help is when drivers are travelling far too close to the vehicle in front, so there just isn’t the room for someone to join into lane 1, and I’m sorry guys, but HGV’s on the motorway are some of the worse offenders of this especially in lane 1.

In fact travelling too close to the vehicle in front is one of the main causes of RTC’s on the motorway.
Two second rule applies, and if weather conditions are bad, increase that distance to at least 3 seconds. If on your journey, 10 cars move into the space in front of you, causing you to drop back slightly for the 2 second rule, you will loose just over a minute, which is considerably less than the time you’d spend swapping details, dealing with the police etc, even on a slight bump.

no such thing as an RTC! :grimacing: you’ve been brainwashed by watching too many POLICE / CSI bullstein on television! Also if you keep backing off ( your words were " if 10 cars fill the gap ! :imp: " ) then there’s no progression! How difficult is it to get on a motorway? And if you think a little 1.1 festa can stop 44tonnes of lard you’re deluded like roadPrat! :grimacing: ask yourself this one simple question? Are car drivers/ motorists TRAINED TO USE A MOTORWAY AS A LEARNER? Now ask yourself this, DO HGV DRIVERS GET TRAINED TO USE A MOTORWAY? Not so hard now is it? The problem is TOO MANY LICENCE HOLDERS! :wink:

animal:
Maybe they should read the highway code ( although not law just a code of conduct / practice ) advises road users if they cant get up to speed of road then dont pull out

If on a slip road entering a motorway / duel carriage only do so if it is safe otherwise stop

Stop? Might be in the highway code. If I was in a Ferrari I would join a motorway from a standing start!!

Rhythm Thief:

albion1938:
Bernard

That’s depressing. :frowning:

Can that ever be right?

The real Biffo:

I totally agree with what you are saying about vehicles not leaving enough space in lane one.I mentioned this some time in another thread but was told it was rubbish!

However I disagree about the 2 second rule.The 2 second rule tends to be misunderstood by some.
2 seconds is the absolute minimum distance for an alert car driver in perfect conditions.
A truck should have an absolute minimum of 4 seconds with an alert driver in perfect conditions.Ideally far more.
The point I am making is could a fully loaded truck stop a quickly as a car?

Agree entirely, how many do you see with not even a cars length between 2 HGV’s, plenty!
Car drivers are just as bad, but when a couple of trucks crash, then the road is usually blocked for a good time.

I’ve had this a few times recently, and it always seems to be the cars with plenty of poke are the worse offenders! Had an AMG and a couple of Jags this week.
They soon hit the brakes as i blast the horn! :smiley:

Strange how they can only manage 30 on the slip but find the extra 40 once on the main carriageway :unamused:

bubsy06:
Strange how they can only manage 30 on the slip but find the extra 40 once on the main carriageway :unamused:

Not got a problem with those who bimble down the slip road, so you move over, then they join and speed off into the sunset. (Or those who let you pass and move back in)

Its the ones who bimble down the slip, join alongside you and then match your speed and won’t allow you back to Lane 1, whilst a mass of cars backs up behind you. No idea whether they do this to be deliberately awkward (after you’ve moved over to let them in ffs) or they just don’t understand that you are speed limited and can’t go any faster, or just plain bad driving.

Personally I fail to see how a car coming up a slip road to join a motorway can be only doing 56mph at the point of entry. Is that not what slip roads are for,to build speed to join it safely? If safely means increasing speed to get ahead of a hgv or backing off to join the motorway behind it,both those options in my opinion are safer than forcing a hgv to change lanes with little warning.