Traffic joining motorways

lee27:
Personally I fail to see how a car coming up a slip road to join a motorway can be only doing 56mph at the point of entry. Is that not what slip roads are for,to build speed to join it safely? If safely means increasing speed to get ahead of a hgv or backing off to join the motorway behind it,both those options in my opinion are safer than forcing a hgv to change lanes with little warning.

When I’m in the car I go to about 60, gives you the flexibility to slow down or accelerate as necessary to slot in. A lot of drivers won’t adjust speed to join, they expect traffic on the mainline to change their speed to suit them.

If it’s really busy coming down the slip, it helps them joining by moving over, the trouble is the occasional clown who won’t let you get back over.

when i joined the m1 at jct31 this morning at 08.30 i had too stop at the bottom of the slip road because there was no space too join and no hard shoulder too run up either but i would like too thank the two stobarts and the polish lorry and about 3 cars for moving over when they seen me.
And too the driver of the plain white topline scania pulling the blue roof truss trailer i’m sorry i couldnt accept your offer of a coffee but if you’d been watching the road and not playing with your phone in one hand and delivery notes in the other you would have seen that all the afore mentioned managed too move too lane two in plenty time but you nearly didnt.

, {why ? its up to them to adjust there speed to join. so you move over and hold someone else up ,to let these idiots join. ? what if you cant move over. ? you are wrong . they should not be ‘bimbling’ down the slip road. sorry ment as reply to urbanfox

urbanfox:

lee27:
Personally I fail to see how a car coming up a slip road to join a motorway can be only doing 56mph at the point of entry. Is that not what slip roads are for,to build speed to join it safely? If safely means increasing speed to get ahead of a hgv or backing off to join the motorway behind it,both those options in my opinion are safer than forcing a hgv to change lanes with little warning.

When I’m in the car I go to about 60, gives you the flexibility to slow down or accelerate as necessary to slot in. A lot of drivers won’t adjust speed to join, they expect traffic on the mainline to change their speed to suit them.

If it’s really busy coming down the slip, it helps them joining by moving over, the trouble is the occasional clown who won’t let you get back over.

A traffic cop once informed me that when on the slipway you should be getting up to the national speed limit. It gives you all the options. I stand by my comment that vehicle drivers are not looking early enough.

gingo:
, {why ? its up to them to adjust there speed to join. so you move over and hold someone else up ,to let these idiots join. ? what if you cant move over. ? you are wrong . they should not be ‘bimbling’ down the slip road. sorry ment as reply to urbanfox

If you can’t move over, you can’t move over, simple as that.

I’ve discovered on a number of occasions that if you trust people to pick an appropriate speed to join (whether to slow down and go behind you, or speed up to go in front), you end up having to jam the brakes on when they cut right in front of you.

There are certain junctions where I would certainly hope traffic in Lane 1 would move over for me if I was joining. There are a lot of “acceleration” lanes on roads like the A38 where a Ferrari would stand little chance of getting near 70. Providing its safe to move across, it’s just a bit of courtesy and allows joining traffic to do so safely.

The dotted lines at the end of a slip road mean “give way” so if vehicles in lane 1 are unable to move over the vehicle trying to join should either speed up or slow down. I have seen it many times and I will the car to put their foot down when they are already well past the front of my cab. Instead, they decide to slam on the brakes as they can’t see you in their tiny mirrors. That thing next to you is a window, try looking through it into your blind spot lol :slight_smile:

J 15 For Stoke on Trent in both directions seems to too short for an acceleration lane to join the motorway.When approaching that exit ,i find it better to move over to lane two.
It is most likely somebody will be trying to get to lane one in a hurry.

For so many years you all have been keen and courteous on moving to lane 2 or slowing down ( together with you all that traffic behind - one of the reasons of everyday traffic on M’ways ) that people learned that that is the way it should be !

Dave167:
The dotted lines at the end of a slip road mean “give way” so if vehicles are unable to move over you either speed up or slow down. I have seen it many times and I will the car to “put your foot down” when they are already well past the front of my cab. Instead, they decide to slam on the brakes as they can’t see you in their tiny mirrors. That thing next to you is a window, try looking through it into your blind spot lol :slight_smile:

There should be give way sign on it as most people do not have slightest clue on what horizontal signs mean.

MisterStrood:

Dave167:
The dotted lines at the end of a slip road mean “give way” so if vehicles are unable to move over you either speed up or slow down. I have seen it many times and I will the car to “put your foot down” when they are already well past the front of my cab. Instead, they decide to slam on the brakes as they can’t see you in their tiny mirrors. That thing next to you is a window, try looking through it into your blind spot lol :slight_smile:

There should be give way sign on it as most people do not have slightest clue on what horizontal signs mean.

+1

And J34 to join M6 n/b is so awful, you can’t hardly get a car straightened up before you’re out in the main carriageway. What a test that was, doing my artic training lol

scotstrucker:
when i joined the m1 at jct31 this morning at 08.30 i had too stop at the bottom of the slip road because there was no space too join and no hard shoulder too run up either but i would like too thank the two stobarts and the polish lorry and about 3 cars for moving over when they seen me.
And too the driver of the plain white topline scania pulling the blue roof truss trailer i’m sorry i couldnt accept your offer of a coffee but if you’d been watching the road and not playing with your phone in one hand and delivery notes in the other you would have seen that all the afore mentioned managed too move too lane two in plenty time but you nearly didnt.

why stop? :laughing: you’ve the hard shoulder :sunglasses: as an emergency runway! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Fatboy slimslow:

scotstrucker:

why stop? :laughing: you’ve the hard shoulder :sunglasses: as an emergency runway! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

jct 31 of the m1 is at the start of the roadworks southbound and the hard shoulder is now lane 1 so had too stop or it was up the grass verge and dont think anyone would have been happy with that :smiley:

you know this is not a new thing (fly along sliproad and expect traffic on 3 busy lanes.
to let you join) it has happened as long as i have been driving.
As from personal experience (i wrote about this years ago) that even some police dont know the rules !
summary… heading north M6 a lifetime ago,3 lanes busy but moving reasonable speed ,n/s mirror car& caravan flying down slip and along side me he was keeping it lit ,wasnt a long slip road and he was bouncing along hard shoulder.now could i have let off a little probably…ish but unless i had stopped he couldnt have got in front before hardshoulder started because off the speed i was doing.
A wee bit later supercop pulls me over and starts given me the dangerous driving spiel :unamused: telling me it was my responsibility to give way to vehicles joining the Motorway from the sliproads!! yup i started arguing that was not the law(yes i had a real bad atitude with authority when younger).
and it was getting heated until another officer arrived ,supercop told the other officer what was going on!
the other officer just looked at me shook his head and told me to carry on driver. :laughing: jimmy.

Some joining the highway doing 30 mile/h , driving my gear !!!

I always pull into lane 2 if it’s safe to give other drivers plenty of room to make whatever mistakes they want to make. If it takes me a minute or so to get back into lane 1 (where I belong) then so be it.

My thought is cars don’t like passing trucks on the inside on a slip road as they may think it’s undertaking!!!