Traffic jams and truck drivers

do you know or are you (be honest) a driver, who on hearing of a local traffic jam on the radio etc heads straight for it.
i personally dont, and will avoid this at all costs but in the course of my driving career i have met many drivers (mostly hourly paid ) who do exactly that and head straight for the back of the que.
professionals :question:

No, I hate queue’s full stop and will go miles out of my way to keep the wheels turning.

I understand that the trollies allus head for them as it means the difference between doing one run or two.

No I’ll avoid them when I can, I like striking out across country.

What’s a traffic jam? :laughing:

Avoid them like bird flu, hate the things :imp: :imp: :imp:

I hate being stuck in a queue, but I don’t always take action to avoid the “queue’'s” on the motorway since the reports are not always exactly acurate. Just last week the M1 North was reported as being stationary between 12 & 14 (accident by Newport Pagnell apparently), being lazy I stayed on course and (at one point) got as slow as 40mph before passing the scene - nothing there. 50 miles further up the road I hear a report saying that the outside lane is still blocked there ?!?!■■ :smiling_imp:

That said if I hear a motorway is closed I would tend to believe it and avoid !!

I have in 12 years of driving not just lorries but other vehicles learnt my lesson when it comes to avoiding traffic jams i have cut across country to avoid them and got close to the end of the queue and even turned round to take alonger route rather thansit in it.

but to be honest i have learnt the hard way and

A: Never believe what they say on the radio, i have phoned radio stations before and told them of horrendous queues onlt to go through it in 2 minutes and then hear it on the radio for the next 4 hours knowing its not actually there any more.

B: Gone WELL over my time ( 6 hours driving) trying to avoid traffic jams but been sat in them for a long time ( some people on here think its ok to put it on break when you are sat in a traffic jam but its not) and then had to venture off the M25 to find a place to park.

It all depends on the day where it is and what i have heard about it but to be honest i WILL head for the end of the queue because experience has taught me its usually the best thing to do.

Having come off the M1 when a copper was killed (longer investigagion than if it was anyone else) and came through Chesterfield knowing Chestefield to be an Excretia hole anyway i took my chances it wasnt until later on i heard on the radio that the M1 was open and guess where i was 4 hours later?.

I get paid hourly, but I also like my own bed at night.

Any inkling of a hold up and I’ll find another route.

One of the firms I work for, staff drivers are only contracted for 13 hours, so the longer runs get shoved onto the Agency drivers. It’s not so much the distance involved, or the Driving hours. Moreso the RDC book in times, followed by hours waiting for a collection. And then a mad rush to get back within the 15 hours.

Lots of listening to the radio and reading books.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Andyroo:
What’s a traffic jam? :laughing:

To be fair when I drove a van in London I used to try and beat traffic jams all the time and I think I was largely successful. But then again you can be confident you’ll get through most roads and don’t have to worry about weight limits and bridges in a van.

If I did meet traffic in a lorry I’d just sit in it as it’s far less stressfull and just can’t be helped in my opinion.

However like I said in my first post, unless you count the odd 15 minutes to get past an accident or the usual rush hour/school run tiny bit of traffic, I’ve not been held up for ages now.

OMG! Your radio WORKS?

Avoid them like the plague :wink:

Coffeeholic:
I like striking out across country.

you sound all gung-ho and foldaree-foldaraa neil, got your plus fours and staff i imagine? :wink: :laughing:

i’d rather go a long way around or travel on roads with a 40 limit than sit in traffic personally

Dapper Scavenger:
OMG! Your radio WORKS?

If the radio doesnt work its far better being on hours that way you dont know whats coming and you can sit in it for hours and just deliver one bag of ballast then plead ignoranc eh :wink:;)…

Become a night driver and queues can become none existent (I have been known to get things wrong as well)

uktruckie:
Become a night driver and queues can become none existent (I have been known to get things wrong as well)

Got to agree 100% with you there truckie i have been on nights for 2 years now and its bliss being the only truck on the M25 at night :slight_smile::slight_smile: almost heavenly and when there is an accident it tends to be cleaned away a lot quicker i suspect probably due to less rubber necking as people cant see whats going on.

Nope Ive been on a traffic jam on the M1, looked at my map and worked out a way to get round it and get back on M1, trubble was i rejoined just as they were opening it :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

M1 southbound this morning, joined at 26 straight into crawling traffic, the matrix sign just below Trowell says lanes 2/3 closed, crawls south past J25 just have traffic clear and run normally from the Trent southwards. No apparent reason at all for delay, no sign of accident, etc. I suspect that there had been overnight roadworks and the silly [zb]'s had not turned off the matrix signs. :confused: :unamused:

i used to sit in them but now im on salery i avoid them

jon

avoid them like the plague. im ‘job and done’ so sitting in a queue only keeps me away from home longer and i dont get paid extra for it.

on the other hand, if i see a problem, i will phone the local radio station and tell them about it stateing the exact location etc. then i will phone them again to update them once i am clear so they have a rough idea of waiting times. i only do that with 210fm though (Berkshire)

avoid them ,i then have a excuise to go of route , then next time theres a jam i know how save time