Tractor Law Change

About time

gov.uk/government/news/farm … and-speeds

They should roadworthiness test them all - not just some.

And I’ll bet few match anything to tractor/trailer size if it cost them!

They’ll just overload what they’ve got. Poor done by farmers my ■■■

No sympathy for farmers who cry poverty. Especially living in rural suffolk. They’re all driving top of the range cars and living in bloody great houses round here.

Don’t know of any tractors round here that abide by the 20mph rule anyway, they’re always screaming round corners with bloody potatoes falling off the back in every direction. Blind corners don’t seem to mean anything either, met too many pedal to the metal tractor drivers coming round the corner towards me in my car far too quickly.

Don’t forget the obligatory mobile phone to the ear as well. I’ve never seen a tractor driver who isn’t on the phone.

109LWB:
Don’t forget the obligatory mobile phone to the ear as well. I’ve never seen a tractor driver who isn’t on the phone.

Funny you should mention phones ,bit in the local rag last week about the police being out on the M3 in “their” scania 231 motorists stopped 109 for phones 62 no seat belts and 13 not in proper control , eating etc :neutral_face:

I’ve seen Fastracs hammering along at a lot more than 20mph! Scary to think you can pilot these from 16.

bazza123:
I’ve seen unleaded Fastracs hammering along at a lot more than 20mph!

This guy isn’t hitting 40mph but watch from 1.06 onwards, looks like the whole lots gonna go over.

Scary to think you can pilot these from age 16.

Fastracs are legal to go at 40mph as they have front and back suspension,air brakes and fail safe steering.

grumps:

bazza123:
I’ve seen unleaded Fastracs hammering along at a lot more than 20mph!

This guy isn’t hitting 40mph but watch from 1.06 onwards, looks like the whole lots gonna go over.

Scary to think you can pilot these from age 16.

Fastracs are legal to go at 40mph as they have front and back suspension,air brakes and fail safe steering.

I didn’t know that, cheers.

grumps:
… and fail safe steering.

This must be a new feature? How does this work then ?[emoji52]

bazza123:
I’ve seen Fastracs hammering along at a lot more than 20mph! Scary to think you can pilot these from 16.

I have passed Fastracs and three axle (empty) flat trailers on the M1 a few times southbound between junctions 30 and 29 (probably the same one I guess) and they were certainly doing a good speed, I always thought that they would come under agricultural machinery and not be allowed on there in the first place? :confused:

Pete.

Wow, a whole 5mph faster, that will eliminate the hold ups!! :unamused: should be banned from A roads and stick to the fields and country roads/minor B roads! Possibly!!?

Thoughts!■■

dcgpx:

grumps:
… and fail safe steering.

This must be a new feature? How does this work then ?[emoji52]

mechanical steering with hydraulic assistance as opposed to a wee ram,but it may be the bigger 55mph ones that have that I aint no expert.the bigger ones have non suicide doors to.

windrush:

bazza123:

I have passed Fastracs and three axle (empty) flat trailers on the M1 a few times southbound between junctions 30 and 29 (probably the same one I guess) and they were certainly doing a good speed, I always thought that they would come under agricultural machinery and not be allowed on there in the first place? :confused:

Pete.

no fastracs and unimogs aren’t governed by the same rules as standard tractors.

A tractor driver who caused an 11-kilometre tailback on a national primary road involving 80–100 vehicles was fined €300 and banned from driving for a year by a District Court Judge.
Judge Mary Devins was told by Garda John Boyle at Castlebar District Court that on June 20 last he came across “a convoy” of vehicles travelling eastwards on the N5 outside Westport which were held up by a tractor towing a trailer which contained a mechanical digger.

Garda Boyle gave evidence that after overtaking between 80 and 100 vehicles he got to the tractor and trailer which was keeping traffic to about 20 kilometres per hour.
The witness said that when he spoke to the tractor driver, Brian McGuinness, of The Grove, Castlebar, the defendant told him he thought he had pulled in earlier to let traffic go by.
Garda Boyle said that when he told the tractor driver he would be “getting a ticket”, the driver replied “sound”.
However, the garda witness said the fixed charge notice issue had never been paid.
The defendant, McGuinness, did not appear in court last week to answer the charge.
Judge Devins commented that everybody has to exercise a little consideration on the road. She added that the evidence of Garda Boyle about having to pass 80-100 vehicles was most dramatic in nature.
The Judge fined McGuinness €300 in his absence and disqualified him from driving for 12 months.

Dave the Renegade:
A tractor driver who caused an 11-kilometre tailback on a national primary road involving 80–100 vehicles was fined €300 and banned from driving for a year by a District Court Judge.
Judge Mary Devins was told by Garda John Boyle at Castlebar District Court that on June 20 last he came across “a convoy” of vehicles travelling eastwards on the N5 outside Westport which were held up by a tractor towing a trailer which contained a mechanical digger.

Garda Boyle gave evidence that after overtaking between 80 and 100 vehicles he got to the tractor and trailer which was keeping traffic to about 20 kilometres per hour.
The witness said that when he spoke to the tractor driver, Brian McGuinness, of The Grove, Castlebar, the defendant told him he thought he had pulled in earlier to let traffic go by.
Garda Boyle said that when he told the tractor driver he would be “getting a ticket”, the driver replied “sound”.
However, the garda witness said the fixed charge notice issue had never been paid.
The defendant, McGuinness, did not appear in court last week to answer the charge.
Judge Devins commented that everybody has to exercise a little consideration on the road. She added that the evidence of Garda Boyle about having to pass 80-100 vehicles was most dramatic in nature.
The Judge fined McGuinness €300 in his absence and disqualified him from driving for 12 months.

that’s paddy land nowt to do with here,

grumps:

Dave the Renegade:

that’s paddy land nowt to do with here,

I happens in this Country as well. To be fair the majority show consideration for other road users, but there are a few that just keep driving for miles, looking over the hedge farming as they are going along.

how does 80 to 100 cars become 11 km tailback i wonder :question: :laughing:

fastracks unimogs have mechanical steering :wink:

have got to have a chuckle though :laughing:

d4c24a:

I’m more interested in the classic 3CX on the back mate. :blush: I’m guessing a mid to late ‘80s model? :laughing:
“Garda Boyle” Are they the TV talent show stars’ bodyguards?

d4c24a:

If this person managed to overtake all those vehicles, how come all those vehicles could not overtake the tractor?

scanny77:

d4c24a:

If this person managed to overtake all those vehicles, how come all those vehicles could not overtake the tractor?

must have had the ‘blues and two’s’ on?