Towing an auto car

You’d be much better off buying a small trailer for towing behind the bus.

44 Tonne Ton:
Generally speaking only for a limited distance and at a reduced speed, maybe 30-50 miles at perhaps 50mph. Towing in neutral should be ok within these kind of limits but you should check your manual for precise information.

Try half a mile at a couple of MPH.

I have towed dozens of auto cars on recovery A frames, never ever damaged a auto gearbox 2wd,

read the manual, and do as it say’s. that’s the best way. my own personal car os a 97 honda civic 1.6 automatic. the honda owner’s manual state’s, 50km’s at 50kmh, 30 miles at 30mph. it did break down last year, got the AA out, he consulted his manual and it stated, 20 mile’s with a maxium speed of 40mph. i wasn’t very happy doing 40mph in an auto with no pas or servo brake’s (i have never been towed before). in the end we settled for a max speed of 30mph.

personaly, if your gonna tow any vehicle, i wouldn’t recomend an auto unless you can disconnect the drive wheel’s from gearbox, go for a manual if your planning on towing it.

OK, so this is what I do for a living, and its a strict no-no in the recovery industry.
There is a high chance of doing damage.

More to the point, you can’t legally tow on an A frame unless you convert the tow car to be braked by the tow vehicle. Once you put the A frame on the car, it’s considered to become a trailer. Any trailer over 750kgs GVW must be fully braked.

So if you tow the car without it being fully braked then you’re doing so illegally, irrespective of the size of the tow vehicle!
We are getting more and more recoveries from VOSA for both cars towed on A frames, and beavertails that are overloaded.
Guidance notice from the DfT:
webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. … frames.pdf

cieranc:
OK, so this is what I do for a living, and its a strict no-no in the recovery industry.

More to the point, you can’t legally tow on an A frame unless you convert the tow car to be braked by the tow vehicle. Once you put the A frame on the car, it’s considered to become a trailer. Any trailer over 750kgs GVW must be fully braked.

So if you tow the car without it being fully braked then you’re doing so illegally, irrespective of the size of the tow vehicle!
We are getting more and more recoveries from VOSA for both cars towed on A frames, and beavertails that are overloaded.

+1

if you’re towing it, it is probably [zb]ed anyway. :laughing:

Santa:
You’d be much better off buying a small trailer for towing behind the bus.

Yes,as you could then put the Trailer behind the Car to move anything

Hi Marlow, how about some update pics of the bus interior?

Look at this complete with A frame & bracket - these go for ever & don’t rust much. Not quite Jag style but a damned site cheaper to run at 50mpg

ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-205-D … 27c3e1d3d8

Over the Road closed a Pub.He would have nice Leather Garniture in it.Would have to ask if he would give it away.Also has a small Pool table i think thats called.

cieranc:

+2

i have not read the regs for a while but it was ok to move to a safe place to be recovered, ie nearest layby using a A- frame. if you ask me the things should be banned

cieranc:
More to the point, you can’t legally tow on an A frame…if you tow the car without it being fully braked then you’re doing so illegally…We are getting more and more recoveries from VOSA for both cars towed on A frames, and beavertails that are overloaded.

+3

I learned in Driving school you dont need brake on trailer if you have a 10 km/h Plate fitted and not go faster as that.

macplaxton:

cieranc:
More to the point, you can’t legally tow on an A frame…if you tow the car without it being fully braked then you’re doing so illegally…We are getting more and more recoveries from VOSA for both cars towed on A frames, and beavertails that are overloaded.

+3

Correct, unless the car’s gross weight is under 750kgs.

You can get braked A frames:

caratow.com/system.php

Could be many reasons why you want to consider to tow it ,
but if its because youve just bought it with no MOT but its in a relative roadworthy condition and not stood /stored for too long :

• then book it in at a test centre for an MOT and insure it and drive it there, (straight there mind - no round the houses :wink: ).

For the legal + safest + best way is to have it fully recovered flatback or trailered really,
or : use a braked bogie that can lift the drive axle off the floor - (dont forget to tie off the steering wheel straight lined though if your towing it backwards speclift style :wink: :laughing: ).
.If its only towing a short short distance (to me thats 5 miles or less) ,and its already road legal, personally I`d use a solid straight bar rather than a rope , pulled by a suitable towing vehicle (jags are heavy old beasts).

Yes you can tow auto`s for short distances at reduced speed rates without causing damge, as others have said - consult the manual for specifics.
Good luck in your quest.

** Some vehicles need to be tweaked for towing distances other than to move it 50-100 mtrs or more,
ie: remove fuse No. # and put fuse # into position ## , such as Range Rovers and other newer marques and makes and models — again, : consult manufacturers recommendations or have it lifted. **

Trux you & several others seem to be missing the point here. The OP lives aboard a converted double deck bus. When he travels around the country in his bus, he would like to be able to take his car with him. He is thinking of buying an automatic Jag & wondered if it would damage the transmission pulling it behind the bus.
The Jag will be taxed, insured & MOT’d.

Removing the propshaft every time is entirely impractical.

Fair dos , if that had been made clearer from the start , then Id suggest the only practical option open is to tow it on a braked trailer behind, or purchase a manual and have a proper A-frame and electrics and brake cable fitted professionally as such as the camper vans do.
Or , cut the back of coach open and fits ramps to load it inside the rear with a closure rear on bus. Like we do for stock car racing, but as the engine is rear mounted in D/D`s not a suitable option.
Anything else would not render it legal or safe imo.

Its all in the thread :wink:

I agree a proper twin axle braked transporter trailer is the best from a towing point of view, but:

A decent one is a couple of grand. (may or may not be an issue)

He has the problem of what to do with it when he parks up & of its security when he is not around.

Does it have to be a car?

Plenty ob E-bay: ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Plant-Tra … 3cc229fd0e