Towing an automatic

hi there,
recently I acquired an 06 plate MAN TGA, it has an automatic gearbox. I was just wondering if I had a breakdown is it possible to tow this vehicle? perhaps with the shift (button) in neutral. Has anyone had experience of this?
I know that some will state removing the propshaft, but is this really required?
thanks in advance

Every time I’ve ever been recovered the prop shaft has always been undone. Its only a 5 minute job but I’ve only ever broken down in a manual. Not sure about an auto.

either remove the prop or the half shaft

half shaft is a lot easier to remove and replace :wink:

showmansh:
hi there,
recently I acquired an 06 plate MAN TGA, it has an automatic gearbox. I was just wondering if I had a breakdown is it possible to tow this vehicle? perhaps with the shift (button) in neutral. Has anyone had experience of this?
I know that some will state removing the propshaft, but is this really required?
thanks in advance

Get the oil pump checked on it mate!! Totally unrelated but there was a bad batch of oil pumps around that age. Mine just cost £7400 for secondhand engine. Price of an oil pump…£550!!

Matt.

Halfshaft out every time when towing either an auto or manual lorry, easier to get in & out than taking the prop off a 6 by 2 unit, here’s one I did earlier

You should never tow any truck with the transmission connected,Best and easiest way is to pull half shaft( the side that is not linked to the diff lock)
The gearbox relies on splash feed from the layshaft and if you tow a vehicle in nuetral the layshaft does not turn.The mainshaft is still turning because it is connected to the prop.The gears which are in constant mesh with the lay shaft are fixed but the shaft they run on is rotating.This causes the gear bushings to be starved of oil and sieze due to no splash feed.

If you leave the half shaft with the diff lock spline in the diff you have no problem with lock ring drop and if you can still drive the truck just engage diff lock and you can drive it into the workshop without faffing about re fitting the other half shaft.