Towing a car

Evening all. I have just started a new job on the car transporters and want some facts/advice please. Can I legally drive a lorry towing a car on the spec lift with only a class2 ? I spoke to a couple of drivers already and they both av class 1 so they couldnt help me. I did ask the TM about it and he told me I would be ok as long as i dont pull a van on it. I have only been there 4days so I don’t want to ruffle anyone’s feather’s so to speak but at same time, I don’t and won’t be illegal. Any help or advice would be extremely grateful.
Thankyou

the answer to your question is yes.

Ok. Thankyou.

How can that be legal to do as the plated weight of the vehicle will be over 750 kg :question:

yes as long as you have trailer entitlement on your liecence.

biggriffin:

OP only has LGV C so max trailer 750kg plated weight

ROG:

biggriffin:

so could there be people with old-skool class 2, thinking they can legally drive wagon n drag.

Is the car be classed as a trailer then ?

theflyingdustman:
Is the car be classed as a trailer then ?

Yes if towed by a motor vehicle

The law states that anything being towed by a MOTOR VEHICLE shall be know as VEHICLE

Seems a little odd to us lesser legal beings but that is how it is written in the RTA

A trailer is therefore a VEHICLE

I think they us the term VEHICLE as they could not think of any other way of describing all things towed but that is just my personal opinion

good point…something I’ve never thought about

what’s the thing about being able to drive wagon n drag with old class2? when did it change?

Thank you ROG. Do you know where exactly I can find this info please so I can print it and keep for myself but show the planners and TM when needed please ?
Many thanks

biggriffin:

ROG:

biggriffin:

so could there be people with old-skool class 2, thinking they can legally drive wagon n drag.

I think those that had a wag and drag licence before it changed will have a C+E licence but with code 102 on it, which means drawbar trailers only.

theflyingdustman:
Thank you ROG. Do you know where exactly I can find this info please so I can print it and keep for myself but show the planners and TM when needed please ?
Many thanks

GOV laws on towing PDF = assets.publishing.service.gov.u … 130715.pdf scroll down a bit

muckles:

biggriffin:

ROG:

biggriffin:

I think those that had a wag and drag licence before it changed will have a C+E licence but with code 102 on it, which means drawbar trailers only.

So the op needs to see if he has that code.

Similar to the changes to 7.5t entitlement back in the 90s when the 750kg trailer weight came in .
I only found out when I updated the address on my licence in 2005 .
I thought I was still legal upto 11.5t train ,as thats what my recovery truck was plated to.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

TBH I would think most people driving those auction trucks with one on the spec lift are doing so on class 2 regardless.

Towed car will need to be road legal, ie MOT, Taxed & insured

I am sure I remember a previous discussion which established that a car being towed - ie, with any wheels on the road, had to be taxed and insured in its own right. The AA/RAC won’t tow a car that is not taxed/insured for that reason. If its on a trailer, then its just a load and not a ‘vehicle’.

First off your licence won’t allow you to tow a car with a gross over 750kg on the spec, if you just have a C unless as said above

And secondary, unless it’s a broken down car that you’re recovering, then you can’t use the spec lift anyway! Because it’s classed as a trailer and the vast, vast majority will have a gross over 750kg, then it needs to be braked, there’s an exemption for recovery but not transport