Total zeebrugge

It’s changed a great deal now but has anyone got any memories of it■■?

Yes I do .

Great till the greeks, polls,rumo’s and yugo’s, and all the rest of the commies moved in ,lost 350 ltr deisel overnight never went there again,whats it like now not many trucks I suppose,

Roger

Stefan was a great friend, although he was there to make a profit, Willy was a ■■■■■■■■■ if you allowed him to get to you. Frans in the Garage was a gentleman. Helen works for Dominic Yeardley. Doris was Frans wife, Stefens son is an iron hoof, but typically Belgian.

I used to call in occasionally :laughing:

Last time i was there,cafe closed all weekend and you have to pay for the mud (coffee). Great meeting place gone to the wall. Shell at lisseweg looked as bad. Pulled in and hungrian servicing his truck in the parking area, he was only one there.

magnum mark:
Last time i was there,cafe closed all weekend and you have to pay for the mud (coffee). Great meeting place gone to the wall. Shell at lisseweg looked as bad. Pulled in and hungrian servicing his truck in the parking area, he was only one there.

The restaurant always closed on Saturday afternoon until Monday morning, but breakfast was cooked on a gas stove in the garage shop on a Sunday. For as long as I have used the place we should have paid for coffee and we often did chuck a few francs into the pot. The idea was if you fuelled up you got a free coffee, but I suppose we all took the ■■■■.

The Shell restaurant also closed at the weekend. I am going back over 20 years

Last time I was in there was probably a couple of years ago,difficult to get on the parking as it was chock a block with east europeans,either waiting for a reload or waiting for a ferry trailer.
As is usual,they use the parking but not the facilities making it difficult for those that actually want to stop for a coffee or meal!
It used to be a good place when all the Brits would pull in there as they came off the boat for diesel,but Brits abroad are a dying breed I think.

There was another small place a bit further down the road where we used to nip in for a coffee and cheap baccy,can’t remember what is was called though.

Wheel Nut:

magnum mark:

The restaurant always closed on Saturday afternoon until Monday morning, but breakfast was cooked on a gas stove in the garage shop on a Sunday. For as long as I have used the place we should have paid for coffee and we often did chuck a few francs into the pot. The idea was if you fuelled up you got a free coffee, but I suppose we all took the ■■■■.

I remember the stewed coffee from that flask and the Brits spending all day drinking it.

I was weekended there the night Princess Diana died. I was a bit drunk from spending the afternoon checking where all the pubs were in Zeebrugge and l had left my cab radio on.

I’m not a royalist but I couldn’t get back to sleep when I heard the news so I got up and had even more coffee from the flask. I wasn’t the only one either…

W

Round the back to fill up the belly tank with red, free coffee, a good fitter & if you had a Transcon they where breaking a fleet of them from CAST for a while top spot. Customs office in view of the red pump not too handy though :open_mouth:

I stopped filling up there in the end & used to go to Oostkamp to get away from the Sherrif…Bit of a hike but good people, I used to get white fuel off them up till about 95 when I packed in.

Do any of you remember “The Turks” too, dirt cheap fuel, probably still is I heard they got busted though for selling washed squirt, always a chi pot on. I think it was near Mol but got faded brain today, they had 2 spots as I recall but can’t remember the town.

what was the old pub called when you walked down the road, was it the bikers

AlexWignall:

Wheel Nut:

magnum mark:

I remember the stewed coffee from that flask and the Brits spending all day drinking it.

I was weekended there the night Princess Diana died. I was a bit drunk from spending the afternoon
checking where all the pubs were in Zeebrugge and l had left my cab radio on.

I was weekended there on that weekend, remember when I got up on the Sunday morning with a bad head seeing it on the tv, alot of Belgium drivers more bothered if it would be a bank holiday due to her death!!!
Good times good people good food. Wonder if it’ll come back.
I’m not a royalist but I couldn’t get back to sleep when I heard the news so I got up and had even more coffee from the flask. I wasn’t the only one either…

W

I tend to keep myself to myself, Magnum Mark so I doubt we met. I do remember some local lads asking if it would be okay to drive on the Monday.

I also remember a Brit that Saturday morning who weekended himself because he had an ADR load and couldn’t drive to Calais and on to home. I’m no expert but that always sounded fishy to me.

I must of been stopping at or driving past the Total for at least a year before I realised there was a proper resturant next to the Garage hahaha…

W

hi all,
wasn’t the place down the road a shell garage :question: hans the bacco man :question: i remember the total very well.my one ever lasting memory would be the sight of the wreckage from the freight deck of the herald of free enterprise disaster :frowning: .a chilling eary sight,they piled the remains up directly opposite the forecourt on the other side of the road near the railway lines.on a funnier note i will never forget being there as a kid in a mates transcon,he tipped the cab and a gas burner,stove and bottle came straight through the screen :laughing:
regards andrew.

Was the old pub you are thinking of called the Britannia and if I remember was the landlady called lou and was she married to a Brit European driver his name I can’t not remember.
Also did anybody use the chinese on the corner of the traffic lights?

For a teenager in his early globe-trotting years in the late '80’s/early '90’s it was really exciting - so cosmopolotain, well compared to the likes of Hilton Park & Farthing Corner! Until you hit the Wheelhouse on the inbound to Dover :open_mouth: Loads of british euro-spec wagons on their way out east late on a Suday Night, that smell of proper coffee & diesel, and the promise of one of those Italeri 1:24 scale model tractor units (usually in awkward 6x4 configuration) on the way back through as a bribe for not bringing up that story of catching the old man mating a tacho chart with a lit Benson & Hedges…

was classed as belgium depot for bulkhaul lads who did the 6 week stints,always was plenty uk trucks on a weekend and plenty of good crack,

The Chinese was expensive but a good feed if you were waiting for a box coming off the boat.

They spoilt the drinking pubs when they built the new underpass. 3 or 4 pints of Belgian wifebeater before a huge bag of chips with mayonnaise

Slater & Son:
For a teenager in his early globe-trotting years in the late '80’s/early '90’s it was really exciting - so cosmopolotain, well compared to the likes of Hilton Park & Farthing Corner! Until you hit the Wheelhouse on the inbound to Dover :open_mouth: Loads of british euro-spec wagons on their way out east late on a Suday Night, that smell of proper coffee & diesel, and the promise of one of those Italeri 1:24 scale model tractor units (usually in awkward 6x4 configuration) on the way back through as a bribe for not bringing up that story of catching the old man mating a tacho chart with a lit Benson & Hedges…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tanktrotter:
Was the old pub you are thinking of called the Britannia and if I remember was the landlady called lou and was she married to a Brit European driver his name I can’t not remember.
Also did anybody use the chinese on the corner of the traffic lights?

Was the britannia not in oostende? or am i getting my wires crossed,remember going in a pub in oostende that did a fantastic english brekie the owner there was married to a brit driver,im talking early 90s.
regards dave.

If Robbies Dad is still around he will tell you the whole story of Zeebrugge! :stuck_out_tongue:

fueling at the total,