ETS:
Can you really tell thogh? On the rare occasions when I smoke the window is oopen so all the smoke goes out pretty much straight away as I also exhale out the window, it takes me 2-3 mins to smoke one. Then I leave it open for 5-10 mins. I don’t smoke for the last 1 hour on my shift, open both windows for the last 15 mins before getting back to the yard. I don’t believe anyone can tell unless they find ash on the floor (which has happened :blush: )

Sometimes I go in at the start of the shift and can immediately smell stale smoke from the guy before me. Much much worse is the smell of sweat after a hot day left by the unwashed fatty from the dayshift but that’s not illegal. About a month ago I almost refused to use a truck it stank so bad. I normally have a strong stomach but boy that thing made me grimace for the first half of my shift - both windows rolled down, took 3 hours to get the stench to become tolerable.

Nothing worse than having a sweaty arsed fatty in the lorry before you. I did once flounced back into the office and swapped lorries due to the stink :open_mouth:

CLOVER50:
I would say then that you actually don’t respect the smokers point of view and that society has indeed given down to you rights to work in a smoke free environment. That’s the point I was making, that it is an anti smoking lobby that has brought about an anti smoke environment.
Anyhow, we can agree to disagree.

The smoker’s point of view is irrelevant. However much you try to justify it, smoking in a cab that you share is wrong.
Leaving aside the legal side of things, it’s just wrong to inflict the lingering stink of stale tobacco on the next driver. The smoke gets into the upholstery, the door panels, the sun visor . . . everything. It’s disgusting. It’s also selfish.
Also, given how much we know now, compared to 30-40 years ago, smoking would have been banned in the workplace anyway, anti smoking lobby or not.

dexxy57:

CLOVER50:
I would say then that you actually don’t respect the smokers point of view and that society has indeed given down to you rights to work in a smoke free environment. That’s the point I was making, that it is an anti smoking lobby that has brought about an anti smoke environment.

The smoker’s point of view is irrelevant. However much you try to justify it, smoking in a cab that you share is wrong.
Leaving aside the legal side of things, it’s just wrong to inflict the lingering stink of stale tobacco on the next driver. The smoke gets into the upholstery, the door panels, the sun visor . . . everything. It’s disgusting. It’s also selfish.
Also, given how much we know now, compared to 30-40 years ago, smoking would have been banned in the workplace anyway, anti smoking lobby or not.

Agreed.
It is an historical accident that smoking is legal at all.
If tobacco smoking were discovered today, and its effects understood, it would be legislated against immediately. Same with alcohol.

dexxy57:
The smoke gets into the upholstery, the door panels, the sun visor . . . everything. It’s disgusting. It’s also selfish.

So does sweat, too. Especially noticeable if the guy hasn’t showered for a … few days. I mean when you go to a gym you must bring a towel to lay on the bench even if you’re only using it for 15-30 mins but it’s ok to sit in a truck seat without one for 8-11 hours in the summer? Not that it would help that much but still. Or the guy who never washed his boots since he bought them 3 years ago and took a nap - yeah you can tell a week later which side of the bunk his feet were on

Franglais:

dexxy57:

CLOVER50:

Agreed.
It is an historical accident that smoking is legal at all.
If tobacco smoking were discovered today, and its effects understood, it would be legislated against immediately. Same with alcohol.

Would they though, a sizeable and well funded lobby is out there desperate to get marijuana legalised, lots of money and taxes to be made there plus the bonus of dumbing the populous down even further, in this country the police ignore it like they do most other crimes so it’s only waiting for the present bunch of clowns in Parl to rubber stamp it :unamused:

I love the way smokers who’s sense of smell is ruined tell us who’s senses arn’t dulled that we can’t smell the previous driver’s smoke :unamused: Jesus wept.

ETS:

dexxy57:
The smoke gets into the upholstery, the door panels, the sun visor . . . everything. It’s disgusting. It’s also selfish.

So does sweat, too. Especially noticeable if the guy hasn’t showered for a … few days. I mean when you go to a gym you must bring a towel to lay on the bench even if you’re only using it for 15-30 mins but it’s ok to sit in a truck seat without one for 8-11 hours in the summer? Not that it would help that much but still. Or the guy who never washed his boots since he bought them 3 years ago and took a nap - yeah you can tell a week later which side of the bunk his feet were on

This thread is about smoking in cabs. Selfish smokers inflicting their disgusting habits on non smokers.
If you want to start a thread on personal hygiene, on you go. I get what you’re saying though, you see some sights stepping out of their cabs. Wouldn’t want to share with them. What’s the answer? Do you go up to them and say ‘soap isn’t expensive you manky ■■■■■■■■■

ETS:

dexxy57:

Thing is ETS you a smoker so you don’t realize how much you and your ■■■■ stink. Same as me when i was younger, i finally stopped and i thought no wonder most women gave me a wide berth if i smelled like that. Then i thought women that smoked tend to do the same as well. :imp:

Juddian:
I love the way smokers who’s sense of smell is ruined tell us who’s senses arn’t dulled that we can’t smell the previous driver’s smoke Jesus wept.

Absolutely.

(Bet it was bloody smoke getting in Jesus`s eyes too)

joeyd:
Just open the windows and crack on ffs. Let’s face it, smelling a bit of stale smoke now and then is hardly the end of the world is it, although reading through some of the posts from the drama queens and divas on here, maybe it is :smiley:

And no I don’t smoke, gave up years ago

I tend to agree.

joeyd:
Just open the windows and crack on ffs. Let’s face it, smelling a bit of stale smoke now and then is hardly the end of the world is it, although reading through some of the posts from the drama queens and divas on here, maybe it is :smiley:

And no I don’t smoke, gave up years ago

Never been called a Drama queen before :laughing: W##ker yes (mainly by the wife) diva? no

I’m a smoker,I share my unit with a non smoker,I can honestly say I never smoke in the vehicle as I’ve never smoked in any car I’ve owned either.
I keep the unit spotless inside as does the guy I share with,I’m one of those who doesn’t care what it looks like on the outside as long as it’s ok on the inside.
If I want a ■■■ I’ll stop and have one,I’m paid by the hour but it’s not often I’ll need to,can usually hang on until I get to wherever I’m going.

I can understand the non-smokers,it lingers on clothes and you take that back into the cab,I spray and wipe Everything down(steering wheel e.t.c)with a zoflora(wild berry) mixture,spray seats too as it smells lovely and shines the plastic up nice on the dash.

It takes 5 minutes at end of shift,he leaves it right for me and I do the same for him,he’s never moaned or mentioned about me being a smoker,I don’t think being a smoker is the problem it’s not having respect or decency to keep something tidy and clean for the next man that is…

What ever anybody says right or wrong it is ILLEGAL to smoke in ANY Company vehicle regardless of it being a single user or multi used vehicle.
The onus is on the Company to ensure that they comply with the Law.
I have been an EX pipe smoker for 16 years and fully understand what a non smoker thinks,nothing worse than using a vehicle or being in a room after a smoker.
It took me awhile to realise how the smoke makes everything SMELL from the clothing you wear to a room that a smoker has been in,in a Drivers case a cab.
Personally if a Driver lodged a complaint and refused to drive a particular vehicle he/she would be well within their rights.
Where I used to work the Law was adhered to and a Driver was liable for a disciplinary for failing to apply with it.

lolipop:
What ever anybody says right or wrong it is ILLEGAL to smoke in ANY Company vehicle regardless of it being a single user or multi used vehicle.

No, those company vehicles (including HGV) which are ONLY used by one person are not included in the legislation.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

As i said before i do understand and have a certain sympathy with smokers, though some, well represented by one or two here, ruin it for reasonable smokers by belittling just how unpleasant it can be to have to take over a previously smoked in vehicle.
Smokers with the attitude of Yorkielad above are sadly rare.

Legality is a fair point, and i know a bloke well who lost a £40k cream of a night job due to smoking in the cab, leaving burns on the steering wheel centre didn’t help :unamused:
I’d be wary of putting myself in the line for an easy defenceless sacking if i was a smoker, when whatever is at the back of the current almost worldwide pantomime (using covid as a convenient excuse) has reached the end of this first stage, when the furlough softener ends and real unemployment becomes the new growth industry, it would be stupid in the extreme to find yourself out of work for months on end for the sake of a quick drag.

Roymondo:

lolipop:

No, those company vehicles (including HGV) which are ONLY used by one person are not included in the legislation.

I just googled this because i never heard of this rule and yes it is true. But most companies do have a blanket ban on smoking. the rules are a bit vague but would you risk your job over this? Fair to say you would never get done by the police for smoking, they could never prove if you are the only user of the vehicle.

elsa Lad:

Roymondo:

lolipop:

I just googled this because i never heard of this rule and yes it is true. But most companies do have a blanket ban on smoking. the rules are a bit vague but would you risk your job over this? Fair to say you would never get done by the police for smoking, they could never prove if you are the only user of the vehicle.

Smoking in the “workplace” etc etc is illegal
A Driver may be the only one who drives the vehicle on a daily basis, BUT it becomes a multi used vehicle when it goes in for service or repair, unless he/she does it all themselves.
Technicality I know but its there. Same as designated smoke rooms are illegal,whats a cab virtually a room

joeyd:

Nah you’re dead right mate it ain’t the end of the world,… but drama queen, diva, or whatever tf you like, I refuse to be disrespected (because that’s what it is essentially) by some ignorant socially inept 2hat, whether ot not you or anybody else thinks it’s trivial.
Hope that explains my pov. :wink:

robroy:
Nah you’re dead right mate it ain’t the end of the world,… but drama queen, diva, or whatever tf you like, I refuse to be disrespected (because that’s what it is essentially) by some ignorant socially inept 2hat, whether ot not you or anybody else thinks it’s trivial.
Hope that explains my pov. :wink:

I quite liked your idea of ■■■■■■■ in a smokers cab. I mean, once it dries, it’s only a lingering smell. What harm is it doing? What kind of drama queen would make a fuss about that?

lolipop:
Smoking in the “workplace” etc etc is illegal
A Driver may be the only one who drives the vehicle on a daily basis, BUT it becomes a multi used vehicle when it goes in for service or repair, unless he/she does it all themselves.
Technicality I know but its there. Same as designated smoke rooms are illegal,whats a cab virtually a room

The legislation doesn’t refer to “workplaces” as such, it refers to enclosed premises (where more than one person works or members of the public are admitted). It treats vehicles separately and specifically only applies to vehicles used by more than one person. The government’s own official Website, in pages giving guidance on the relevant legislation says:

Smoking in work vehicles

Smoking isn’t allowed in any work vehicle that more than one person uses, eg:

taxis

buses

vans

goods vehicles used by more than one driver

company cars used by more than one employee

A worker can smoke in a company car that only they use if their employer agrees.

So even the government are quite clear that smoking is allowed in SOME company vehicles. A vehicle doesn’t become a multi-user vehicle just because it goes in for service or repair.